How long do Michelin super sports last (age wise)?

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Found a good set of wheels. The tire date reads manufactured end of 07, but i think the tires have only been in service for 3 years. They are soft and appear almost new. no dry rot. They were well taken care of. Car they were on was kept in climate controlled garage. Should I be concerned about anything else???

Update, they are actually PS2's

Last edited:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People say 5 years but considering the history I would drive on them if the price is right and your going to drive responsible on them!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Probably not the Pilot Super Sports as those have only been out for a couple of years. If they are PS1's they are worthless in my opinion and the Viper spec PS2 is a great tire.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the grooves in the carcass of the tyre for any cracks, as the soft ruber tends to soak up heat and splice the foot of the tyre. Mine were 2 years old and full of cracks, especially the rears. What diameter are your tyres?

As you do not know the history of the tyres, proceed with caution. But should be OK, all things equal!

Enjoy and post some photos

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to say a similar thing to Mad Prof, the tires deteriorate due to heat cycles, not so much how much tread or age. If the rubber still feels soft you should be good to go.

Hellshavoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put on a full set of the new PS2 Super Sports yesterday and then hit up Mulholland. Those things stick to the road like a rail. I will be really happy if they last 5 years.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all relative. Humidity. Temp.

I'd say a good rule of thumb is over 5 years be cautious

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine never last more than a year! BUT, I run track days and autocross on my street tires. I get rid of them as soon as they start to lose their grip after warmed up. I know, it's expensive, but after riding crotch rockets, I learned to appreciate knowing what the tires could deal with. If you're in doubt about whether your tires are ready to go or not, give a few minutes of thought to whether you lose traction in every gear, even when you're not pushing it really hard. I can't imagine running tires that are cracked on my car ... they would have been GONE years earlier!