How long for breakin?

Have Z Need Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm up to 3500+ miles on my '09. Seems motor continues to run smoother and stronger!! Who on the forum feels max engine performance seems to be out a little farther than 500 miles! True break-in at ?? Any issues with tracking car with under 4000 miles?

Thanks

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think about 20k is nice and free- the opt sweet spot--- and 80k it becomes a complete loose monster(NOT WORN OUT)...they run really good at 80k--thats if it has not had the **** ran out of it--

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have always recommended on the 08s on up to do a 4,000 rpm max for the first 500 miles, and then change the oil at that mileage interval, also. Tracking the car, I sure don't think you need to wait till you get to 4,000 miles , as most of us started way before that with Viper Days.

Check out Viper Days, SCCA ( for HPDE events ) , other car clubs, etc. for track time ---- good way to learn to drive the Snake in the enviroment it thrives in.

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm up to 3500+ miles on my '09. Seems motor continues to run smoother and stronger!! Who on the forum feels max engine performance seems to be out a little farther than 500 miles! True break-in at ?? Any issues with tracking car with under 4000 miles?

Thanks

How many times have you changed the oil? Thats a key factor..
Are you breaking it in with varying engine RPM's at different time intervals?
Have you googled how to break in an engine? A viper engine is no different than a regular engine!

OP
OP
H

Have Z Need Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My break-in regimen

Oil and filter changed at 500 miles. Light to moderate loading of engine in all gears with RPM's under 4000 'til 1000 miles. Never flat shift the car. No dragstrip starts in 1st gear yet, though i consider the 3.73's essentially broken in after 3500 miles. Have gently had the RPM's to 6250 or so. Never floor-board into rev limiter. I find the car needs to be shifted at 5000 to 5300 rpm to be in the sweet spot for the upcoming gear. Going to 6000 for the shift gives less optimal pull, at least with my 3.73s.

Other thoughts on break-in and shift points are solicited.

Thanks

V

Venomiss

You might want this in the SRT-10 section since it's about an 09.:)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My 09 ACR seems to continue to run stronger and pull harder as the miles tick up.

I'm at just over 10K now and enjoying it.

Dan

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told by a reliable source that the new ACRX race cars were delivered and then raced with minimal breakin. There are those who believe that the most critical breakin period is during the first 20 miles or so when the engine should be gradually loaded to optimally seat the rings against cylinder bore.
PAvenomRT/10

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
PAvenomRT/10, you raise an interesting point. But all "philosophic break-in issues" aside, the ASRX is a RACE CAR...which is (in my mind at least) a disposable comodity used solely to carry the driver across the finish line...preferably first. While the ACRX starts life with stronger engine "internals", one expects no warranty, should plan for continuous maintenance/repairs, and look forward to periodic rebuilds, all to the tune of many $$$$$$$.

The street Vipers have different internal components, planned longer lifespans for most buyers, warranty considerations, budgetary restraints, etc.

Bottom line...I would personally break-in a street car far differently than I would a any race car, be it a Viper or a Porsche, etc.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
Your point is well-taken. With my own new ACR, I am following the standard breakin procedure of keeping RPM's below 4K, varying engine speed, changing oil at 500 miles, etc. My ownly point with the ACRX's is that the standard procedure is rather conservative and the original poster with almost 4K miles can probably turn his car loose on the track without undue concern. Certainly, we want to keep our warranty intact by following standard procedure.
I believe the only internal engine difference between ACR and ACRX is cast vs. forged pistons.
PAvenomRT/10

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well let me tell ya--- those acrx;s are being broke in hard, its like being turned loose with super model on a desert island. u aint gonna go easy on it:lmao:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with both of you guys...and, as a show of good faith, you two send me an ACR-X and I'll break it in any way you want. :)

Man, they are great cars!!!