how long to relearn?

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been covered, but does anybody remember how long or how many miles it takes a stock ecu to relearn the car and be optimized?

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Georgia">Type your text here</FONT f><FONT COLOR="Red">Type your text here</FONT c>
I replaced my '94 ecm with a '95 unit. Book says it won't work.
It fit and pluge in just fine.
Initial power was ok. Having nothing to compare with, it
sure seemd ok. After about 250 miles of learning the car, it
was still obvious that the idle and performance just kept getting
better. I would say that after 1500 miles, the car, climate, driver, et al, has achieved a peak, using stock components.
Or, I'm just getteing spoiled......

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 99t1:
I know this has been covered, but does anybody remember how long or how many miles it takes a stock ecu to relearn the car and be optimized? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Year Matters.......

On a Gen-II car, about 3-5 run cycles of 10 minutes (or longer) each is all that is needed. Whereas ONE long drive will NOT seem do it. Part of the multi-stage process is the idle-adapt.

On a Gen-II-OBD2+ car [2000-2001] the process seems to take a bit longer per owners..... 5-7 run cycles. Dunno why..... ABS?

I would suspect our local "DynoSlave" {Ben} would run some raw-ECU reset dyno pulls and then again after 5 run cycles. My bet is that run #1 after reset is strongest! {drag racer hint)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4