How long will my clutch last?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I'm not sure how many miles are on this clutch, since I just got the car 4 weeks ago. Well, It feels GREAT, but when I went to the track last weekend, I could smell it pretty bad when I left the line, going down the track. Some of my friends standing close to the back end of the starting line, said they could smell it too. I don't remember "trying" to slip it. I thought I just let out and nailed it at the line. I ran my 05' stang a few months back and intentionally rode the clutch out to get a good time and I remember doing that on purpose, but I didn't ride it out so hard like that on the Viper. Is this normal when driving it hard? I don't want to go to the track again and not be able to make it home after a few runs, if you now what I mean. My car is pretty stock, with Pilots.

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got 19,000 miles on my stock clutch and have been at 600 RWHP for the last two years. I'm going on my forth season of running a points series at my local track and have well over 350 passes on it. I do have a new one on the bench that I hope to get in as I recently went to the 10lb water/**** with a small shot. :2tu:

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you smell your clutch when you launch? I mean, I had a good run, so I feel it's a good technique, but is it normal to smell the clutch? Out of the 350 passes, how many of those did you smell clutch?

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Midway through the 2004 season I started to smell it. Didn't think I would make it through this last year 2005,but it did.
I did lower my launch rpm to 3500 to try and finish 2005. To date I still can't make it slip when just driving around town.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the info. I think if I punish it a bit at the track the next time around, it will still get me home after a good cool down.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed my clutch at 20000mi.
It was really wearing quickly due to the abuse.
However I did a couple of "sliding starts" at 4000rpm.

If you are wise it should last around 30000-50000mi.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
42k on my stock clutch. mine just went one day all of a sudden. no real damage done as i took it off the road asap and changed it out along with the slave.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My car has 66,000 miles on it and not many mods, so I assume it's on the second clutch. I think I'll trailer it to the track next time to be on the safe side.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 40K out of my stock clutch, but I really feel that the flywheel was a bigger problem. I feel that the flywheel warps too easily when heated, causing hard shifting. When you start missing 3rd, time to pull it out and get it trued.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has about 66k on it an I smell the clutch at the track as well. I bought the car with 37k on it, but I don't know if the clutch was ever replaced before. I've run at least 100 times at the track and have yet to see any problems. My times continue to improve as my driving skills get better, but I would be interested to see how much life is left in mine. Either way, I am not too worried. If I have to replace the clutch someday, I'll see if my times improve (i.e. if it really was bad and I was not seeing the times I should have).

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The stock clutch is pretty robust.

I got about 5,000 miles out of mine in a 750 rwhp car with drag radials before it began to smell. I would consider this good.

My GTS got about 15,000 miles of wear before it gave up and began to slip (that is what you are smelling).

At your power level with street tires, it should last a very long time provided you don't slip it too much.

That said, it is a relatively cheap repair to make. Just make sure that you change the slave / throw out bearing when you change the clutch.

Good luck,

Dan

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have replaced the clutch, I am curious what brand you used. I know Centerforce has been used by some. What do you recommend? I have noticed some slippage at high speeds (100-120 mph) under WOT situations, and expect to be replacing this in the near future. Thanks.

TD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala