How many guys have over 50,000 km on their car?

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think thats about 38,000-40,000 miles.My 2000 RT has 50,000 km. I bought it May 2007 drove it a ton! My 1st Viper:headbang: Love it.My question is in the title obviously but I want to know if you think it will last till 100,00 km or more if I take care of it. It is never raced and I think I am a good driver...I just don't go nuts.No tracks near me anyway.

I always baby it as far as oil changes and clean fluids etc...

Any ideas? thanks!:drive:

On a side note I guess I'm asking also when is it "not worth selling". I paid alot for it,too much here in Ontario,but I wanted one BAD. I paid $54,000 cdn at 31,000 km. 2000 rt Steel Gray with Black Interior.He had new PS 2's on it when I bought it. I would like to get another one soon but I have to sell mine first.I just do not know if it's worth it to keep it much longer (more miles- it has 50,000 km now as I said). Will post pics ASAP.Waiting for my membership details still.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100,000 km... or more.These engines are strong I know,but do not want to have too many KM before I sell it.Plan on driving it a few months and sell in Summer. Ughh buyers market now too...I am thinking even with about 5 grand in cosmetic and stereo goodies added, I will be losing a lot,might be lucky to get 40 grand?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steel Gray. Bought new--factory pick up 3/00. 125,000 KM. Modified. Run pretty hard, including at least one track session per season. We've been all over this country and a little bit of Canada in it. It's seen lots of rain, some sleet and snow as well. I try to spin a set of rears off every summer...at least so far. Might try to make my new PS2s last 2 years. To date....one failed oil cooler line while under the original factory warranty. It uses no oil to speak of (maybe a 1/3 quart on a track day). The mileage thing is a Viper myth perpetuated by the fact that most of these cars are driven so little that many have come to believe they can't last like a normal car. I hope to get 200-300 KM miles of fun..or more, out of the old LND RKT. I don't understand the reasoning this engine isn't at least as durable as any other modern push rod engine...easily capable of very high mileage if taken care of and maintained. As for resale, it's a shame anything over 4,000 KM per year makes these cars a high miler. We didn't buy ours with the intention flipping it after a couple low mile years. We bought it for the long haul. A few bucks less at the end of the day pale in comparison to the fun and memories made over the years.

That being said, the 2000 model year was kind of the b--stard child year with cast pistons, slightly different cam profile, and no ABS. On the plus side, Steel Gray was a one year color which turns color, as you know, in different light. I guess there may be some value above the other 2000 cars because of the unique color

Steve

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it me or does this post make no sense? he wants to know how long these cars last but wants to sell it in a few months? just sell it and let somebody else enjoy it.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have well over 50K on mine, it does not bother me a bit.

Actually if it blows up, it's OK. That will give me something to do and a reason to go nuts with it.

If the mileage issue worries you, you should sell it and buy a Taurus. Nobody cares about the mileage of a Taurus.:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
50,000kms = 30,000miles!

Bought my supercharged 01 Aug last year with 20,030 miles on it (after test drives, bank, etc) and in the 2.5 months before parking it I put on over 9,000 MILES. I also put 9,000mi. on my 98 GTS during the 2 months I drove it last summer.

My plans are to go to Florida with it in spring (8,000mi.) and visit Macedo Motorsports as well as cruise the beaches, then drive cross continent home. Should be a hell of a road trip.

I bought one of the best driving cars in the world to DRIVE IT! I plan to wear it out, then buy another one (probably another Gen 2) and wear it out.

When it's a modified car who cares what mileage it has? Since my engine was rebuilt @ 10,000mi. it's good for more than a stocker. Since I got it with lightweight brakes and plan to upgrade to 14" lightweight brakes this summer ... they'll have 30,000mi. of "catching up to do to catch up to the body. I've got Unitrax halfshafts, new clutch, VR1 wheels, headers and exhaust, upgraded speakers, etc. I bought a modified car that was half new and I keep 'getting these urges" that forced me to upgrade my car with newer, better parts all the time. Damn, I may have to keep this car and not be able to wear it out! Lol.

If I do put a little wear on my engine it would be a good reason to instal billet mains and larger Nitrous jets. And I understand my Roe Blower is good for another 80,000mi. before it needs rebuilding.

I'd guess that crashing is what you need to worry about, not excessive mileage.

Ted

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
true..I'm torn between selling or modding... I will for sure get another newer viper either way if I sell mine.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or you could just by a modded one now and start wearing it out as well.

It's BUY TIME.

Ted

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a ton of threads already about large amounts of miles put on Vipers, e.g., I put 80k on my 98 and sold it with 85k miles on it. Which goes to your later point, there isn't a point in time where it is "not worth selling" - that's just a matter of what a seller is willing to sell for and a buyer is willing to pay.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
46K miles here. I drive it hard every time I get in the car. These cars were made to be beaten non-stop. If that concerns you you are just not enjoying it enough!:D

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't beat mine but I am over 40,000 miles now and I still drive it in the winter when there is no snow on the ground of course. But I think as long as you keep driving it they will be fine. Hell it it is derived from a truck motor it was built to last I would guess you can get at least 100,000 miles out of the motor b/4 a major anything is necessary.

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought mine with 57K miles on the odometer. Engine is strong. I plan on driving it until it dies, then rebuild it with more power and a fresh powertrain, but that will be years down the road.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang