How many miles are too many on a New Viper?

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many miles should be on a new Viper (from the dealer)?

I would guess 5 to 10. But I have been told there might be as many as 35 to 40 because the Dealer's Viper tech should do some sort of a check. I have also been told that more than that might indicate that the car has been test driven.

What do you think? How many miles were on your new viper when you took delivery?

Thanks,

Gozer

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
2001 GTS arrived at our house per trailer with 16 miles on it...should have a slip of paper in glove box that tells miles at factory. 40 sounds a little high to me...might want to speak with tech to see if there was a specific problem or question that contributed. If you worry about "excessive" pre-delivery milage, AND find no real reason for same after talking to tech, one might inquire at "front office"...to be honest, if MY tech put the milage on the car, it would NOT concern me in the least. If, however, milage came from multiple sources in sales or management, I might be a little testy IF this was a car that I PERSONALLY had ordered...if it was ordered by dealer or another individual, one probably has somewhat less grounds for making an issue. I wouud write down facts of situation in a letter to the G.M.....put it in your file for use later if there is a future question or problem...especially with the NEW, STRICT breakin recommendations. Would NOT lose too much sleep over above at this point. Congrats on your new Viper!!!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new 99 GTS had 15 miles on it. It's hard to tell if there were any other test drives, but I was way into negotiations before they asked me to drive the car. At a Chevy dealer, I was looking at a C5 with 60 miles, and the salesman was eager to have us drive the car. Basically, that says 'demo' too me.

Jim