How much play if any is there supposed to be on a gts acr?

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was delivered today and I didn't notice this when I looked at it today until I got on the highway. The car was moving side to side in my lane and there was play in the steering wheel trying to correct. Also when I pressed the accelerator the car pulled slightly to the left but when not giving gas it drove straight.

I got an appointment schedule this week for coolant flush and to check the steering and alignment but wanted to see what you guys said.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same car, mine has zero play. Has the recall been performed on the steering rack mount? The ACR's will wander especially if the tires are worn, but they should not have any play in the steering wheel.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Search for steering recal and see if your year is one of the effected. Since throttle steers the car you also need to check the rear diff as there was a recall on some years as well as the welds on the rear A arm attachment brackets. Did not really affect many cars, but ...

My 98 always turned left under throttle, but that was because of the Roe supercharger smokin' the tires so much.

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my '01 it would wander on the highway if there was rutting or pavement seams. The seams you can usually see, the rutting only needed to be slight and therefore not so visible. Nonetheless, when I got rid of the Pilot Sports and put on PS2's, problem diminished mostly.

Find a really smooth road and test it. After you get the steering fixed... Which could be a tie rod end too.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the ACR!!

Agree with checking tire pressures...BUT, would not drive an "unknown" car such as yours very long (or fast) until a complete inspection has been done on the suspension, frame, diff., alignment, etc. by a knowledgeable and experienced Viper Tech...who also has a history of successful repairs on Recall 999 (steering rack mounting)...which applies to your year (assuming it is a 2000).

Most Vipers that I have driver "wander" a bit on various road surfaces.

Always be cautious with simultaneous throttle and steering input...as this car car easily get crazy with same, especially with old tires and/bad road conditions.

It's a great car...just make sure that it is "healthy" as you get to know each other...then enjoy yourself!!!

OP
OP

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will check the tires today for air pressure but they have 75% tread left. I got the dodge vip summary report faxed to me, says the 957 was done, the 979 was done, and the 999 was done all in 2004 so the recalls were taken care of. Tire dates I have to check or I should check too. There were no ruts on the highway that I saw and I pulled off at the next exit and went back home through town and on smooth roads there too around 40 it started doing it again and pulling to the left. I figured the pulling was from the torque of the motor, it does have upgrades such as a cam, 3.55 gears, port and polish, upgraded flywheel, roller rockers, etc...

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take the car to a GOOD Alignment Shop and have them check it. Most instability problems are due to alignment issues, providing the tires are not worn unevenly. In my experience on my Vipers (2 Gen II, 2 GenIII) alignment makes a huge difference in how they go down the road.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda noticed this similiar issue tonight when I was out in my ACR. Its a 2001. PS2's on the car and Tom Sessions did an alingment on it about a month ago.
Mine was delivered today and I didn't notice this when I looked at it today until I got on the highway. The car was moving side to side in my lane and there was play in the steering wheel trying to correct. Also when I pressed the accelerator the car pulled slightly to the left but when not giving gas it drove straight.

I got an appointment schedule this week for coolant flush and to check the steering and alignment but wanted to see what you guys said.

OP
OP

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for letting me know. I just swapped out the fluid in the diff and trans as well as put in new plugs. Tomorrow will be new plug wires, I didn't have enough time to take the manifold off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4