How much RWHP Gain on 00-02 with cat-back or rear muffler delete?

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much RWHP Gain on 00-02 with cat-back or rear muffler delete?
I have heard that with the lack of cam overlap the RWHP gains are less than 99 and older cars with exhaust mods. I am planning on modifying the exhaust anyway and was wondering what I should expect on the dyno. (Note: I am using the factory headers and cats)

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the 3" Corsa states an 18 RWHP and 32 Ft lbs. increase with their cat-back. Sorry, but don't know if that excludes any model years, althought I don't recall hearing that it does.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From all the dyno pulls I have seen the creampuff vipers do not gain anything from catback exhausts alone. You will need headers and catalytic converter mods to wake it up some.

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my 2002 GTS on the dyno with Corsa 3" on. As near as I can tell it added 5-6 RWHP. Jason Heffner commented that the most he's ever seen on his dyno for catback alone was about 8.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to change your screen name Steve. That 99 is long gone. How do you like your new car? The most I've seen from a cat back system on a 2000 or newer Viper is 8 rwhp. Let's go cruisung sometime. How's Doug liking his new Viper?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the most part, exhaust alone on the '00+ cars won't add much power. That's not unique to Corsa -- any of the 3" exhausts will give you similar results. Adding headers, exhaust & high-flow cats will give you 20-25 RWHP and, more importantly, 35-40 RWTQ in the midrange, compared to tubes+filters alone.

The key to making power on the '00+ cars seems to be heads, roller rockers, and lifters. I've seen several data points that heads + rockers + lifters + bolt-ons = 500-515 RWHP and 515-525 RWTQ, even with the stock "creampuff" cam.

ObVendorPlug: I'm using an off-the-shelf 3" Corsa on my 996+ RWHP DLM car. I chose it because it's quiet at cruise, sounds like a nasty powerboat at idle (especially with the cam in my car), and flows enough to support my car's ~1200 BHP.

OP
OP

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea Jason, I guess I'll have to change my user name. My 99 is out cruising the roads of CA. I love the ABS brakes on the 02. The graphite color has got a lot of compliments. Although I must admit, I still am a big fan of the bright silver in 98-99. Even though I have the 02 I still miss the 99 some. I did the break in to the book. I already have 1400 miles on it.
Doug is enjoying his 96 GTS. It runs real good and is in perfect condition. AJ F. must have kept real good care of it. We would love to go cruising. I'll get in touch so we can setup a time soon as the cold weather is around the corner. We can get some other cars too… Vipers and otherwise.