How much to fix an A/C on a viper?

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at a couple of '94-'95 vipers. On one, the A/C is out...

Any ideas on what fixing that on one is? $$'s and effort? Is there a defect in those years anyone knows of?

Thanx in advance...

K

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that's a question that's VERY difficult to answer. Here's one very probable solution: Recharge the system. Mine needs a recharge about every 9 months. Once the charge gets low, a safety switch will not allow the compressor to operate, making it seem as though the A/C is totally broken.

Mike

beckertb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The AC quit on my '97 RT/10. I took it to a local shop. The Schrader valve was bad--replaced it, installed R134. Total cost was $200. Well worth it in this SE TX heat!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is charge only I recently had that done at a SoCal dealer for $215 (I know sounds expensive but it was an emergency).

Yesterday we found the leak that caused the charge to go down in the first place and I was quoted $1,000 to install a new condensor and discharge hose (that includes the two parts and two pounds of refrigerant).

So it could be some serious dollars.

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could have a leak anywhere, my car was leaking around the compressor case, look there for any residue, oil build up. Only thing you can do is have a shop recharge the system and install a leak detection dye and drive it for a few weeks and then take it back so they can look at it with a black light and find the source of the leak.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
For a compressor and evap line I was quoted $1200. I sent to my favorite part shop, picked up a do-it-yourself AC recharge kit ($10 for the hose about $5each for 3 cans of r134) and its run fine ever since. The compressor still leaks, but I figure a $5 driveway recharge every two months is perfectly acceptable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixagg