How much to repaint a GTS a different color?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone that has had their car repainted what can I expect to pay? I know it will vary on the body shop and color but what would be a ball park estimate? I would like to get it painted a different shade of red. I want the windshield pulled and the car taken down to the roof skin. To me this would be a super easy paint job since the car is so easy to disassemble but I could be wrong.

Who has had their Viper of any year repainted a different color? Was it a simple scuff and shoot or did it all of the old color have to be removed? Thanks!

(Not my car)
You must be registered for see images attach

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the whole car, but I once got quoted $1200 for a complete sand and paint job, just for the front bumper. I didn't do it and just lived with scrapes. Mine is blue with white stripes and the stripes add to the cost.

-Avi
1997 Viper GTS

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on the prep. Do you want a Maaco job or a Chip Foose job? The cost can be all over the map.

7Sins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paid 5k in Orlando for a House of Kolor candy apple red paint job on my old RX7, that was over 12 stages. I would think you could get it done for less, just be careful with where you go.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wherever you go, inspect the environment of the paint shop. If it looks like they do not have a clean spray room, go elsewhere. Also, there's different materials being painted: metal and polyurethane. Make sure they know what's what. I've seen a good deal of idiot apprentices screw things up. If you have any corrosion anywhere, make sure the sanding is down to bare metal or the paint will bubble or peel in a few years.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here in PA your looking around 8 to $10,000 for a show paint job!

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two sets of costs involved. First, 7 to 8 thousand will get you a nice job. The original color does not have to be removed but the paint must be in excellent condiotion if it is going to be a base followed by a good sealer. Second is the cost in lost value for a color change. Unless the car has been in serious damage (salvage) the original color will most often bring more money than a custom color.

We often think we will keep our car forever but that seldom happens.

But.............It is your car, make it how you like it.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa, I never noticed how simple the exterior body of the viper is. Also, what part of the painted surfaces are sheetmetal? I thought it was all compositr

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies! I was estimating around 7-10k possibly up to 12-13k with some extra engine and interior pieces and a few other things I want done.

I know that prep work is the main thing when it comes to a paint job and I wouldn't let just anyone paint it. I'm having my interior completely redone so now would be the best and only time to do a full paint job without working backwards. I'm no stranger to paint shops just didn't want to get fed a line with Viper tax on the end of it. Always nice to get some info from those that have been in my shoes. :)

Thanks! And keep the replies coming!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get it wrapped.

Wraps are WAY cheaper than paint (mine was $2K) but they only look like paint from 20 feet away. Once you get close you can see the difference in the smoothness of the finish. It doesn't look bad, just doesn't look like smooth shiny deep paint.

DSC_00483.JPG

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give Mike at Best In Show in Garland a call. I'm spending $25K but then again I'm having a lot more done. All new stuff, near complete dis assembly up front. Looks gooder than new.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wraps wouldn't even be an option for me since I'm looking for a higher quality finish. Plus I'm having some engine parts painted to match. I doubt the vinyl would withstand the heat.

Dave your car is looking good! I have several shops here in Oklahoma that can do the job but thanks for the referral. Did you have to remove anything in your interior other than the weatherstripping and door panels? Just wondering encase I don't get to repaint my car until after it gets out of the interior shop but hopefully I can do that before it gets completed. :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what they did on the door panels ref weatherstripping. If the panels needed to come then they did. Or whatever it took ;)

Regarding the sills being the only metal panel on the car? Not when you have Autoform FRP Gen 2 side exhaust sills :D

RSI gets the car next for a Roe I bought. Everything is being powdercoated to match the car. RAL 3001. Complete makeover. Stupid will come quicker at the track :rolaugh:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
******** Dave you are in deep now.
Good luck with it.
Never thought of putting the money towards a Gen 3 or 4?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post some close-ups...

Wraps are WAY cheaper than paint (mine was $2K) but they only look like paint from 20 feet away. Once you get close you can see the difference in the smoothness of the finish. It doesn't look bad, just doesn't look like smooth shiny deep paint.

DSC_00483.JPG

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the story on the side sill exhaust ? Are the pipes and sills fabricated or off the shelf ?

Give Mike at Best In Show in Garland a call. I'm spending $25K but then again I'm having a lot more done. All new stuff, near complete dis assembly up front. Looks gooder than new.