How much would a 24 yo pay for insurance?

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bother everything with another insurance question. I was wanting to know what i might pay for insurance at 24 years old, a ballpark idea would be good.

An "insurance agent" on yahoo answers said $10,000 a year, which i find very hard to belive. My driving record is great and my Tiburons insurance is 1/2 what my freind pay. People love to make insurance sound like its going to be wayyyy expensive, and they said that about my Tiburon, and it was way less than they told me.

Can anyone give me a actual realisitc ballpark? Im thinking $4,000 a year.

Thanks.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact your current insurance agent in Williamsport. If you don't like what they are offering, open the yellow pages, look under insurance, let your fingers work.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not being a smartass, but call around or do the online quotes on insurance websites. That way you're getting real quotes instead of guesses from people here. $10k a year is beyond stupid. Maybe for a Veyron, but not a Viper. Viper insurance is actually much cheaper than I planned on it being. "Its just a Dodge" :)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with asking the internet for insurance information is that there are SOOOO many variables associated with generating a quote. Here are a few:

Your age
Your driving record
The car being insured
How long you as a driver have been insured
How many other cars on the policy
Your Marital status
Your Dependent status
Credit score (yup, USAA is doing this now)
What state you live in
What county you live in
Availability of parts for the car being insured
Theft rate
Accident rate for that make/model of vehicle

and the list goes on.

Since we can't answer most of these about you, your best bet is to call your insurance company and just get a quote. It doesn't cost anything, and it's the best info you'll get.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call and get quotes. Being married will help according to my agent.

OP
OP
G

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not being a smartass, but call around or do the online quotes on insurance websites. That way you're getting real quotes instead of guesses from people here. $10k a year is beyond stupid. Maybe for a Veyron, but not a Viper. Viper insurance is actually much cheaper than I planned on it being. "Its just a Dodge" :)

Ok thanks everyone for responses. I was primarily looking for somone to confirm it would not be $10k a year...lol. psshh yahoo answers...Cant trust anyone!

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 24. Insuring my 04 F-150 and my viper is $170 a month for me.

I have my house/cars all under the same insurance company.

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 RT/10 + 97 Camaro, 1200+/year @ 24.

2004 SRT10 + 97 Camaro, 1150/year @ 25.

Geico gave me the best rates by far.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can run actual quotes on most the insurance websites by entering your specific info.

You can also call Your current agent and have them run a quote with your existing acount just switching to a viper. We're talking a 10min process here.

Either of these options would be more intelligent and acurate then asking around on the internet.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As kcobean said, there are too many variables...one HUGE one is you are under 25 years old and a male...HUGE risk factors to insurance companies. Calling or emailing for quotes from specific insurance agencies is the way to go...get individualized quotes for YOU. ~juli

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ask your agent if there is a category with less miles. I am 28 and my state farm agent told me of a "Classic car" category that allows you 7500 miles per yr and it only costs me around $75/mo

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is.... Any of the "classic", "collector" car companies that provide under $1k per year premiums. ALSO require that you have a daily driver car, AND a seperate policy for that vehicle..
And I also think they require you to be 25 with a clean record.

IF you plan to only have the Viper... I would expect to pay big premiums.. I would guess $5k per year, but $6-$7k would not shock me.. If you have some points, $10k is possible.. It just comes down to, the high cost to repair these vehicles. And the liability, when one goes out of control. Which is NOT an uncommon event.. Insurance companies dont have it as good as many think... When one of these cars is involved in an accident. ITS EXPENSIVE.. Can easily be Hundred of thousands, if there are injuries as well..

Last edited:

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full coverage on the Viper, Scion TC, House and a large umbrella policy runs me less than $2400 a year. 27 years old.

The insurance on the Viper alone is less than I was paying on my 98 Mustang.

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man, yea I've done some quotes on progressive in the past for a ballpark figure. A gen3 is around $700 a month and a gen1 is around $350 a month. I'm 27 and have a perfect driving record, but my credit score is trash :(

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OzeViper, i too am 27 , my insurance with state farm runs 86/month for my truck(primary vehicle) and 67/month on the viper(secondary vehicle).

the viper alone as primary would have been 120/month

These rates are with:
Liability 100K/300K
Comp&Collision 500deductible

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm insurance stupid, are those quotes full coverage or just minimum liability? i have liability on my 99 dakota rt costs me 76$ a month

forgot to add, i'm single with no kids, which means i'm a road warrior according to most insurance companies

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm insurance stupid, are those quotes full coverage or just minimum liability? i have liability on my 99 dakota rt costs me 76$ a month

forgot to add, i'm single with no kids, which means i'm a road warrior according to most insurance companies

My rate is for full coverage year round.

- single, no kids.

I think I get a discount because of my education level(doctorate)and believe it or not my college fraternity. Strange. :omg:;)

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a quote yesterday from Erie Insurance for $980-1200 yr full coverage depending on what options i chose. This would also be my 3rd car and it would be listed as a recreational car (under 5k miles a year).

I am 24 also, clean driving record and think that is a pretty good deal.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call around for quotes. You aren't going to know for sure what it will cost you by asking here. I bought my first viper at 23 with a clean record and was quoted 6k a year for insurance. I ended up getting coverage for about 2k a year.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey!!, 30 is the new 21

atleast that what im sayin as i near 30....:headbang:

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As other said, the phonebook is the best bet.

I called the usual suspects and got quotes from $5600/yr to get lost! Finally I worked it out at $1800/yr by using my current insurer and starting the policy with a parent to get their long subscription discounts. Be sure to get every discount possible. I went high deductibles and still claim my good student discount (good to 5 years after graduation!)

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bother everything with another insurance question. I was wanting to know what i might pay for insurance at 24 years old, a ballpark idea would be good.

An "insurance agent" on yahoo answers said $10,000 a year, which i find very hard to belive. My driving record is great and my Tiburons insurance is 1/2 what my freind pay. People love to make insurance sound like its going to be wayyyy expensive, and they said that about my Tiburon, and it was way less than they told me.

Can anyone give me a actual realisitc ballpark? Im thinking $4,000 a year.

Thanks.

I live in MA so I believe it's completely different here. I'm 25 now but when I got my car I was 24 and I'm still paying $120 a month.