How to do a Perfect launch on srt10???? any pro's out there?

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How to do a Perfect launch on srt10???? any pro\'s out there?

my friend has a 2004 gallardo which has a 1/4 time of 12.4 seconds and his car actually took mine from a rolling start, starting on second gear. but the viper has a faster 0-60 time (3.9 compared to 4.1) and quarter mile time (11.8 compared to 12.4) So i know my car has to be faster than his and im not using its full potential. also when taking off the line, it's hard keeping 525 lbs of torque from fish tailing and going out of control right off the bat. so i wanted to know exactly how high to raise the rpm before launching and at exactly what rpm should i shift to 2nd and what rpm shift to 3rd. i've had my car for about a month so im pretty new to the power. any experts want to shed some light on the matter i'd appreicate it.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How to do a Perfect launch on srt10???? any pro\'s out there?

There is nothing wrong with your car. The Gallardo is optimaly geared for roll on races. Especilaly once you hit triple digits. If the driver has the balls to really drive the car, even from a dig (Regardless of what mags say) it will be tough to beat due to its AWD advantage.

In regards to launching it, I would assume it is the same rule of thumb to any high hp car. Rev up to around 1,800-2K rpms if you are on street tires, and slip the clutch. You should be at wot within ~10-15' of your launch if you slip the clutch. It just takes practice, and lots of it. In an SRT, if you can get a 1.9 60' on street tires you should dip into the 11's. Good luck.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

pull upto light...put into R rev upto 4000 rpm...dump clutch :)

viperkraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about you get some more time behind the wheel before you start racing! Would hate to hear about a new viper owner wrapping his car around a tree. Anyway, 2500-2800rpm works for me in my GTS.

OP
OP
Y

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

QUOTE: from viperkraz

How about you get some more time behind the wheel before you start racing! Would hate to hear about a new viper owner wrapping his car around a tree. Anyway, 2500-2800rpm works for me in my GTS

yah i hear u. thats exactly what im going to do. find a large open area with no cops and practice lol. but i still want to make sure im practicing the right way so i wanted to get the numbers.

quote: from Fadi
slip the clutch. You should be at wot within ~10-15' of your launch if you slip the clutch.

what do u mean exactly by slip the clutch? and i should be at wide open trottle by 10 to 15 seconds??? can you elaborate a bit on what that means? sorry im not used to the lingo. but i apprecaite the help

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

QUOTE: from viperkraz

How about you get some more time behind the wheel before you start racing! Would hate to hear about a new viper owner wrapping his car around a tree. Anyway, 2500-2800rpm works for me in my GTS

yah i hear u. thats exactly what im going to do. find a large open area with no cops and practice lol. but i still want to make sure im practicing the right way so i wanted to get the numbers.

quote: from Fadi
slip the clutch. You should be at wot within ~10-15' of your launch if you slip the clutch.

what do u mean exactly by slip the clutch? and i should be at wide open trottle by 10 to 15 seconds??? can you elaborate a bit on what that means? sorry im not used to the lingo. but i apprecaite the help

Slip the clutch- let go of the clutch at a quick rate, but not too quick.."Slip" it. If you let go too quickly, you can bog (the car hesitates for a second before going) if you let goo too slowly, you will lose time and lose the clutch, also. So, "Slip the clutch" is kind of letting go of the clutch at an optimal rate..not too quickly and not too slowly.

Go wot within 10-15 feet of slipping the clutch. You dont want to wait too long before you get on the gas because that would waste time. You don't want to get on it RIGHT AWAY because you will more than likley spin the tires. Slip the clutch, and gradually get on it. If the track and tries allow you too, try to be at wot within 10-15'.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Y

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

thanks for the tips guys. and tom...im already going to buy the belanger exhaust system from you.. slipping in a video won't hurt =)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

youngviper,

If you think launching is hard now, wait until you have more power!

Traction control is likely the answer (AEM).

Dan

OP
OP
Y

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

traction control? i dont know how traction control works when they're aftermarket but when racing with a car that has stock traction control, you always turn traction control off to get max power and performance. i've used it myself for the 2004 lamborghini gallardo and the M3 SMG SMG transmission. i've always turned TControl off and the car runs much quicker. just out of curiosty how much would adding it cost me?

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you're not used to "peddling it", a term used commonly in drag racing for lifting ever so slightly off the gas to reduce (but not eliminate) wheel spin, you might try short shifting from 1st to 2nd gear just before the rear tires start to go up in smoke and the tail starts to go wild.... That will usually be about 4800 to 5500rpm depending on conditions it can be really effective to grab for second gear right at that point and maintain full grip with the tires and use "ALL" the torque but not all the horsepower...

YMMV but try a stop watch and see how it works for you, you might be surprised how well it works on these beasts... ;)

If that just seems to odd then be sure to look a longs ways up the road while the rear tires are on fire so you can just ride it out with no drama :laugh:

sbw :usa:

OP
OP
Y

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Quote:
peddling it", a term used commonly in drag racing for lifting ever so slightly off the gas to reduce (but not eliminate) wheel spin, you might try short shifting from 1st to 2nd gear just before the rear tires start to go up in smoke and the tail starts to go wild.... That will usually be about 4800 to 5500rpm depending on conditions ___________________________________________________________

okay but the tail starts going wild right in the beginning as the car is peeling out, not at 4800 to 5500rpm. the first 2 to 3 seconds are the most difficult part...

Quote:
maintain full grip with the tires and use "ALL" the torque but not all the horsepower...

how is it that ur using all the torque but not all the hp?...and why is this signicant....thanks

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What we're talking about here is to "walk into it" slowly and deliberately (the throttle I mean) because if you are spinning the tires and wagging the tail you are not leaving as hard as you could be...

So you leave with as little wheel spin as possible, like maybe only turning the tires over 2 or 3 times "max" in the first 15 feet then walk the throttle to the floor not just "MASH IT" and about the time you can get it to the floor (considering you are on stock tires) you will be at about 5000rpm or so and it will want to begin to spin tires again as it pulls near peak hp and then you either "peddle it" or pul the next gear and mash it enabling you to use peak torque again...

Man this is hard to explain in cyberspace...

Maybe you should just call me :laugh:

sbw

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What we're talking about here is to "walk into it" slowly and deliberately (the throttle I mean) because if you are spinning the tires and wagging the tail you are not leaving as hard as you could be...

So you leave with as little wheel spin as possible, like maybe only turning the tires over 2 or 3 times "max" in the first 15 feet then walk the throttle to the floor not just "MASH IT" and about the time you can get it to the floor (considering you are on stock tires) you will be at about 5000rpm or so and it will want to begin to spin tires again as it pulls near peak hp and then you either "peddle it" or pul the next gear and mash it enabling you to use peak torque again...

Man this is hard to explain in cyberspace...

Maybe you should just call me :laugh:

sbw

OP
OP
Y

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i actually understand what ur trying to say. and ill keep what u said in mind next time im workin on it. and ill take u on that offer after i give it a few shots. appreciate the advice thanks :cool:

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the track is normal/slippery, launch at 1,500-1,800 rpms. If your running with dragsters and the track is sticky/crusty, launch at 2,500-3,000 rpms. Either way, let off the clutch a little if you start to spin.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4