How to protect front end?

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone applied tape, etc to the front of their Vipers to protect the paint from chips on the highway? I am taking delivery of a vehicle and have to drive it home 300 miles and want to protect the paint temporarily on the way home. Eventually I will have it clear bra'd but I need temporary protection. Is there some kind of tape made for this purpose and where can I get some. Thanks! I have seen some guys put this tape on during track events from protection.

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess you could use painters tape. Comes off easily.

Ideally, go with clear bra.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing but is there anything wider so I don't have to use so much? Also, I don't care what it looks like...it's only temporary.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One guy at VOI taped the entire front end of his car with the blue painters tape. It was an SRT-10 and I believe it was on the car for the entire duration.

Also I believe duplicolor makes a paint that you spray on that acts as a temporary mask. It doesn't come off in the rain but washes off with soap. I would try this stuff on a test car before I tried it on the Viper.

Another alternative is to buy a bra and take it with you. I'm not a fan of bras for long term use, but for a quick trip it just might be the ticket. I used the Mopar Bra for my car on the way to VOI, it worked OK, but I taped off all the forward edges with Blue painters tape. This prevents sand etc. from getting behind the bra and scratching the paint. Also the fog light holes are wide open which is a poor design. The Speed Lingerie bra is super pricey, but very high quality and available in matching colors. A very well engineered bra that almost blends in the car, they even make them with stripes.

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try the painter's tape and see how that works. Cheers!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Body shops use a semi-clear tape that's about 2' wide. Maybe just pick up a partial roll from a local shop.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Griots makes a spray on protection that peels off when you are done with it

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One guy at VOI taped the entire front end of his car with the blue painters tape. It was an SRT-10 and I believe it was on the car for the entire duration.

Yep that was me. Stayed on for the whole event AND the 550+ mile drive to Vegas from CA.

I did have a clear bra on the nose and side mirrors. So, I just taped the hood.

Came off with no problem, and no residue!

Before

416IMG_2828.JPG

After

416IMG_2935.JPG

This is where I got the idea from!

416jonas-spoon.jpg

If it was good enough for his car, it was good enough for mine. :nana:

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also I believe duplicolor makes a paint that you spray on that acts as a temporary mask. It doesn't come off in the rain but washes off with soap. I would try this stuff on a test car before I tried it on the Viper.

Another alternative is to buy a bra and take it with you. I'm not a fan of bras for long term use, but for a quick trip it just might be the ticket. I used the Mopar Bra for my car on the way to VOI, it worked OK, but I taped off all the forward edges with Blue painters tape. This prevents sand etc. from getting behind the bra and scratching the paint. Also the fog light holes are wide open which is a poor design. The Speed Lingerie bra is super pricey, but very high quality and available in matching colors. A very well engineered bra that almost blends in the car, they even make them with stripes.

The tape looks like crap I saw that at VOI and I thought it was insulting to the Viper. If you can afford to have a Viper what is a few hundred bucks to protect it. Get the clear bra or a speed lingerie bra for trips so it doesn't look like junk going down the road. I just had the clear bra put on my Viper last week and it looks fantastic. I highly recommend it. I had what is called a "race wrap" so they do all the vulnerable areas on the Viper but if I was going to take a long trip I might consider going ahead and getting the Speed lingerie bra for additional protection or at the least maybe go with the mopar bra for the extra protection. Just my opinion!:cool: :cool:
Rob:D