Hurst (Mopar) Short Shifter Install Problem

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new short shifter install went pretty well, until I went to install the new Hurst shifter. I cannot get the darn thing to ihstall into the plastic cup. Went back to the old shifter with no problem at all. Darn near fell in. The balls and shaft length on the shifters appear to be about the same. [******]? Anybody got any ideas?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a Hurst Shifter in my 2002 GTS. I could not find the right combination of angles and position to make it fit in right. When I thought I had it positioned right so that the ball would go into the cup, the top of the shifter's aluminum base would hit the side of the steel box that the ashtray sits in. I gave up and removed the transmission mount and let the back of the transmission down about a quarter inch, hoping that I didn't mess up the motor mounts with such a small movement. The shifter then went in with no problem.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem but eventually the moons were aligned, I held my tongue just right, and the Hurst shifter slipped into place! I'm not sure what I did right or different to have it slip into place! I was just determined to not be defeated! I had lubed the linkage-cup, and during my contortions my fingers, etc. with lithium to make a nice slippery mess.

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same here, you just have to move it back and forth a few times. It's a really weired angle. Anyone of you have problem shifting from 3rd to 4th?? To me it seems like the spring on the left side of the shifter is too soft, if I push the shift knob to the left, if doesn't return right to the center, it stops between second and 4th. So, there are few ocassions that I shifted into 2nd instead of 4th from 3rd. I don't mean to steal your thread, I hope this would help you too.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I installed mine about 1 months ago, and installed the shifter, and yes it is a weird angle. I couldnt get it to fit in also. but read the instructions. (apply lithium grease to the plastic cup houseing. Hold shifter upright and rotate assembly 90 Degrees clockwise so that the engraved Hurst name is toward passenger side (3 oclock position) Drop assembly down thourgh floor tunnel and into transmission and rotate 45 degrees counter clockwise. I dont know if you tried this method already, But I first thought it was no big deal, But when I couldnt get it to go in, I calmed myself down and read the instructions and it slipped right in. Hope this helps

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, tried the 90 degree and everything else. I'll go back and try again, now that I know its just difficult. You would not have believed how pretty my RTV bead was before the first attempt. By the time I quit, I had RTV and lithium grease all over me.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My patience level has seemed to plummet in the last few years along with my active hair follicle count. I had read the instructions and tried my darndest, walking away several times to try anew, without luck. That, plus the fact that the car was already on jackstands for other reasons, is why I gave in and lowered the transmission a bit.
Anyone of you have problem shifting from 3rd to 4th?? To me it seems like the spring on the left side of the shifter is too soft
I haven't finished other upgrades yet, so am not back on the road; but, the softness of the springs concerned me once I had it installed and checked out its "shiftiness."
I hope that I don't have to remove it to upgrade the spring force and install it again ! :bonker: At least, it should be easier to figure out the necessary angles during removal !

viper1532

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm just going out to my garage to finish the installation
on my 2003. I'm lucky to have seen this post. My instructions
don't say anything about the rotation patterns you are mentioning.
The instructions are FORM P4510168 8/04. What is the date on your
instructions?

I have not drilled the two 3/4 inch holes yet...that is next. I
think I'll hold off. Did anyone have any problems getting the old
shifter out?

Thanks for the help.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the date on your instructions?........Did anyone have any problems getting the old shifter out?

Here's a link to a later version of the instructions that mentions the tricks for installation, not that it helped me. http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/3915055.pdf
If this thread had been posted before I tried my install, maybe I wouldn't have given up as quickly.
The old shifter body is much lower, so, it comes out easily.

I wonder if the B&M shifter install is so tricky ?

viper1532

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Those instructions are up to year 2002. I'm working on
an SRT (2003). It appears an earlier post was by a 2006 owner who had the
same install issues as GEN 1 and 2 owners. Did you notice any SRT specific
instructions?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not drilled the two 3/4 inch holes yet...that is next.

One other thing (at least on my 2002): Drill the hole for the right rear mounting bolt in the right place, with any bias being nearer to the ashtray box. If you get it too far rearward, you will find a cross brace in the way. The edge of the hole that I drilled was exactly at the edge of the brace, so if you get the hole above the bolt, you will be OK; but it is a bit tricky to figure that out. Sorry, I didn't think to make any measurements, and since these cars are hand built, locations of landmarks such as the ashtray box might vary a little.

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone of you have problem shifting from 3rd to 4th?? To me it seems like the spring on the left side of the shifter is too soft, if I push the shift knob to the left, if doesn't return right to the center, it stops between second and 4th. So, there are few ocassions that I shifted into 2nd instead of 4th from 3rd. I don't mean to steal your thread, I hope this would help you too.

viper1532

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made a cardboard template using the base of the Hurst as a guide and thought
I could lay that on the tunnel in close to the correct spot.....I'm afraid
to go back to the garage now, however!!!!!!!

I've taken some digital pictures and will have to write some detailed notes to
give to anyone else who attempts this conversion.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2002, I'd say that I drilled the right rear hole so that the front edge was about 1/4 to 3/8 inch from the edge of the ashtray box. This put the hole in a location such that when I inserted the socket, it just cleared the cross brace to the rear of the hole.

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my first attempt, the shifter dropped in perfect. For some reason, it didn't feel right so I took it back out. What a mistake. I fought it for a while and had RTV and grease everywhere also. The only problem I had was going into reverse. I had to do a little filing down in order for it to shift into reverse with ease.
Yeah, tried the 90 degree and everything else. I'll go back and try again, now that I know its just difficult. You would not have believed how pretty my RTV bead was before the first attempt. By the time I quit, I had RTV and lithium grease all over me.

G

grcforce327

[I wonder if the B&M shifter install is so tricky ? ]

No problem with the B&M here!Went right in and shifting is nice!Sorry to here about the Hurst issues and hope it gets worked out!

viper1532

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone in the club have a connection at Mr Gasket in Cleveland, Ohio? It
would be good to have one of their reps address our installation and operational
issues with the Hurst shifter.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Those instructions are up to year 2002. I'm working on
an SRT (2003). It appears an earlier post was by a 2006 owner who had the
same install issues as GEN 1 and 2 owners. Did you notice any SRT specific
instructions?
no specific instructions, I called Roe and told them I got the wrong Instructions and they told me that those instructions would work for my year, I did what the instructions said and it went in with no problems, No shiftig issues as well.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not drilled the two 3/4 inch holes yet...that is next.

One other thing (at least on my 2002): Drill the hole for the right rear mounting bolt in the right place, with any bias being nearer to the ashtray box. If you get it too far rearward, you will find a cross brace in the way. The edge of the hole that I drilled was exactly at the edge of the brace, so if you get the hole above the bolt, you will be OK; but it is a bit tricky to figure that out. Sorry, I didn't think to make any measurements, and since these cars are hand built, locations of landmarks such as the ashtray box might vary a little.
yes make sure you drill the hole in the right spot, I was just a hair off of center, But I was able to use a heavy duty extendible magnet, put the bolt on the end of it, and put it through the Hole I drilled, and I used the magnet to actuall twist the bolt into place, then I used a socket to tighten the rest. It sure beat trying to get my fat hand in and thread it by hand.

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished my install!! Shifts GREAT!!! 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are crisp, clean, and short. Well worth the cash and the install issues.

Yeah drilling location is very important. Neither one of my holes was perfect, but close enough. I think the key for me was more grease. I was only spraying the ball with lithium grease. When I got the squeeze tube, and filled the cup, it went in easy.

One more thing. The instructions tell you to remove the plastic cup and inspect. I carefully tried to remove the cup. No way. Anybody else take it out?

viper1532

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations on finishing the installation. I was about to install today
until I read your post this morning. I wanted to see how things ended for you.
I drilled the 3/4" holes today.....I'll save the shifter part for next weekend.
I'll buy some lithium grease too!!!!
Did the 90 degree rotation followed by the 45 degree do the trick for you or was
it grease and persistence? I'll take any clues you can offer.......
Congrats again.
Larry T

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he might of had his friend help him, His name is Ballpean hammer, Ive asked for his help somtimes, not on the viper though. ;) ;) ;)

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Believe me, I thought about the rubber mallet. But then I sobered up and asked you guys for help. :)

Larry, the 90 to 45 is essential. But, to get it into the tunnel, you start at normal, tipping it until you get it into the tunnel. Then, you go 90. There's no way to get the darn thing even close until you go 90. Then, you go to 45 to get the ball in the cup. And fiddle around a lot from that point. Practice this before you get out the RTV. I know, I know, once you get the ball in the cup, you hate to take it back out, but you'll just smear the RTV all over the place if you don't get a clue on how to maneuver the darn thing into place.

Believe me, you'll love it!! Let me know if you need any further help. I'll give you my phone number if you like.

viper1532

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does it matter what gear the transmission is in when you remove the old shifter? How did you get the new bolts into position below the drilled
3/4 inch holes.....use a magnet or reach into the tunnel opening?

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry,

Good questions. The instructions say to put the car in first gear, before removing the old shifter. I think that does work the best. The cup is closer to the rear of the transmission.

New bolts have washers on them. I'd suggest a dab of glue to hold the washers on the shifter before putting it in place. That way you don't drop the darn things.

I used a magnetic insert into the 13mm socket to get the two tough ones in place. I tried a pen like magnet, but it was too strong, and I couldn't get the bolt to disengage once I got it in the hole.

One more thing. I think it is easier to put your RTV on the shifter, (after practicing to make sure you know how to get it in) rather than on the transmission. You don't run the risk of bumping the ball into the RTV while you are installing, and getting RTV into the cup.

Pat

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry,

I tried a pen like magnet, but it was too strong,
Pat
What are you a girly man, lol :D you should of twisted the magnet like a screwdriver and that would of threaded in the bolt a few turns so when you use your girly muscles to pull the pen magnet out the bolt will stay. :D just kidding about the girly muscles ;)

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha. Ha. TT3150. :smirk:

Not muscle power. More a function of iron filings all over the magnet. Tried to use it to retrieve the one bolt I dropped during removal of the old shifter. :ooo:

I did find the easiest way to get that bolt, along with the punched out rivet remains. Laid a little rubber on the driveway, and all came rolling out.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the car shift with the new shifter installed ? I still have the stock shifter in mine and it's very notchy between gears. I have to shift a little slower than I'm used to, to avoid missing gears. I don't know if this is due to the shifter or it's just a normal transmission quirk.any input here is greatly appreciated.

Bo don't know

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bo: Night and Day. The reason I decided to do this mod was because I was missing 4th and hitting 2nd. This happened twice to me in a month, and I decided I needed to do something before I over revved the engine. I caught the mistake before I did overrev, but I found I was being very careful on the clutch to make sure I was in the right gear.

Have only tried the new shifter for two drives, but WOW. No more hunt and hope. Every time I shifted it seemed natural, crisp, and clean. No hunting. And always was in the right gear. :2tu: