Hurst shifter in Gen II?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone with a Hurst/Mopar short throw shifter in their Gen II Viper please let me know which knob you went with and post pictures of the shifter installed in the car?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a B&M knob on my Hurst shifter. It was left from another installation.

9783Viper_Hurst_Shifter_B_M_knob_009-med.jpg

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo - how do you like the height of ths shifter compared to stock. I assume the throws are alot better, correct? Is the car hard to get into reverse now?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how do you like the height of ths shifter compared to stock. I assume the throws are alot better, correct? Is the car hard to get into reverse now?
Height is significantly lower and throws are shorter and crisper; so, I believe that it was worth it. I couldn't compare the Hurst with a B&M though. Several people (including me) have reported having a hard time installing the Hurst shifter. The clearance during installation is very tight and you have a tough time getting it oriented just right to get it past the obstacles. I haven't heard the same complaint about the B&M. I chose the Hurst because it was recommended. I still have some difficulties feeling confident that I've made the proper gear selection from 4th into 3rd when driving spiritedly. Possibly due to insufficient seat time. There are no issues shifting into reverse.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Height is significantly lower and throws are shorter and crisper; so, I believe that it was worth it. I couldn't compare the Hurst with a B&M though. Several people (including me) have reported having a hard time installing the Hurst shifter. The clearance during installation is very tight and you have a tough time getting it oriented just right to get it past the obstacles. I haven't heard the same complaint about the B&M. I chose the Hurst because it was recommended. I still have some difficulties feeling confident that I've made the proper gear selection from 4th into 3rd when driving spiritedly. Possibly due to insufficient seat time. There are no issues shifting into reverse.

When you say you couldn't compare the Hurst to the B&M do you mean that the B&M is far superior or that you don't have experience with it and thus can't draw a comparison?

My tranny is being warranteed so I'm going to do the short throw shifter when the tranny goes back in. I'm still torn as to which shifter to go with - my impression was that the B&M ends up at the stock height (I'd prefer lower), or is it that if you use the factory knob you end up with the stock height?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say you couldn't compare the Hurst to the B&M do you mean that the B&M is far superior or that you don't have experience with it and thus can't draw a comparison?
Yes, a poor choice of words on my part. I have no experience with the B&M shifter in a Viper, so, I can't offer any advice there. I don't think you can go wrong with the Hurst, it may just be a little tougher to install. I think the shift knob height is perfect with the knob I used, or with the Hurst knob supplied with the shifter (but that looks out of place in a Viper.)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how do you like the height of ths shifter compared to stock.
I have to take back what I said about the height being lower. :eek: Sorry for the misinformation. It's only lower when you use a short knob; but, you could have done that on the stock shifter. I found a photo that I took during disassembly; so, here are a couple of photos showing the Hurst shifter is about 1 1/2" taller than the stock.

STOCK:
9783Viper_stock_Shifter_no_knob.JPG

HURST:
9783Viper_Hurst_Shifter_no_knob_neutral.JPG

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put on in my gen 2 & used the MGW knob. It screwed right on and is lower than the stock knob. I think its the perfect height, shorter than stock but still tall enough to get the proper leverage for quick shifting. If you get the lever to short you can loose a lot of leverage and it can make shifting harder. I had no problems installing mine and could probably do it in less than an hour. If you need any more info let me know.

Bo now knows Hurst shifters

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang