Hypothetical question about our hoods

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy with a '99 GTS has a damaged hood. Since they either can't be repaired or are very difficult to repair he is looking at the possibility of buying a used hood and having it painted to match, if required. My suggestion to him was to spend a bit more money and get into an SVS carbon fiber unit. He doesn't want to spend the extra money, but I told him that it would be worth it if he ever decided to sell the car because then it would be worth more money because of the hood.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
I don't think it will increase the value of the car one bit....but that's just me. If he has the oriinal to offer with the car if/when he sells...that is different. A Viper without the stock hood is a non-starter unless they are looking for a race-only car. Just my humble opinion. :)

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a general rule, I NEVER mod with the intent of getting any return on my investment. Unless it's something like F/I, it's so hard to get your money out of a mod at time of sale. I'd say he should get it because he likes it, not because he thinks it's going to net a higher sale price.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock should be more valuable. I don't believe the modification will bring any additional value. At best it will be a non issue, or could be an investment that eventually could cost more money in diminished value. This also would be an occasion to raise "red flags" to look for other damage/mods.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If insurance is paying, get the original hood. It's worth more than aftermarket. If not, I agree that aftermarket hoods hurt resale or classic potential. Depends on how long his attention span is with cars in the end.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh, all of the carbon fiber hoods I've seen are cheaper than the $18k list price of the Gen II hoods. (But, I've not checked the SVS hood, either).

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
First rule of modification - no mod increases value. Ever.
Flush that idea before it stinks up the place.

A new, non-OEM hood will hurt the re-sale. Beyond it being
a modification, a buyer will never be confident that the
change wasn't done to be cheap on a repair (ie if they cut
corners repairing the hood what else did they cut corners
on.) A CF hood that looks stock on a car with no other
major modifications is a dead givaway something bad
happened and any intelligent buyer will see that. (Unless
of course you're hoping for some dumb millionaire to reply
to your ad.)

My suggestion is to either stick with stock or go
outragious (like with the diamondback) that way the mod
looks intentional.

OP
OP
K

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems as though mods increase the value on these cars because I see modified ones for sale all of the time and they sell for more money than the stock or near stock cars. I'm not saying that you get 100% of the money back for mods, but it seems as though you get a good chunk of it back.

As far as "red flags" are concerened, the car has a salvaged title anyway, so that is a non-issue.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, hell, if it's a salvage car, dress it up like Barbie - doesn't matter either way...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The number of people looking for a used, salvage Viper is small.

The number of those people who would consider buying a used, salvage Viper with a non stock looking hood is even smaller.

The number of people who would pay extra for that hood is still smaller.