I am new so have dumb question re: adding coolant

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a boilover due to busted serp belt. Need to add coolant. Manual says 'DO NOT remove pressure cap to add coolant'. 'When additional coolant is needed it should be added to the coolant recovery bottle'. Ok, I found this little recovery bottle hidden behind the round slit in front of the pass wheel. But, how do you add coolant to this recovery bottle that is behind this wheelwell? Can I just pour it in the main coolant bottle? Owners' manual was not well written. I have read the posts on burping so will do that as well. . . Thanxs.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To fill the overflow bottle, just remove the hose leading to it that is attached just under the rad. cap. Pour the coolant into this hose. A tiny funnel will make a big difference. I can;t see any reason why the rad. cap can;t be removed as long as the engine is cool. ( I know it's technically not a radiator cap..but a de-aireation tank cap.)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to be patient and fill it through the little overflow hose from the "deaeration pressure bottle."

Yep, that's straight from the service manual. I would've never called that thing a "deaeration pressure bottle."

OP
OP
A

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanxs gentlemen. I think I will be ordering a service manual first thing AM.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, with a cold motor, take off your radiator cap. Turn your heater switch to hot. Grab your left front radiator hose(driver side hose) and squeeze pretty hard, this will make your radiator fluid flow through your system and get out any trapped air. You will hear the coolant run through your system when you squeeze the hose. Your radiator bottle which you took your cap off of will raise up and bubble. You will need another person to watch until your fluid stops bubbling when you squeeze the radiator hose. Check your fluid level, you will probably have to fill your radiator bottle to the appropriate level and you may have to repeat this procedure a couple of times depending on how much air you have in your system.(I did not have to fill mine at all.) Now, when you're done with that-

Second, If your overflow bottle is empty or low, you must fill it to the appropriate level. To fill this, pull off the hose right under the radiator cap(this hose you can follow all the way down to your overflow tank)(The other hose you can follow all the way to your radiator-wrong hose.) Get a turkey baster, pop the rubber ball off, and stick it in the overflow tank hose. Then, put a funnel into the top of the turkey baster. (Do not try to fill an empty overflow bottle with just a turkey baster, it will take forever and very messy.) Then just pour your radiator fluid into the funnel to the appropriate level of your overflow tank.(I could not see the level of my overflow tank, so, I had to tap the tank with my finger to see where the level was by the sound. Crude, but it works.)

This was on a 94 but I think it's exactly the same on yours. JonB has a post on this and I believe the years the same are
94-00.

If you need pictures of any of the parts, let me know. I'm not a hands on car guy, but this procedure was pretty simple.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also having a tough time trying to figure out how to check my fluid. For starters, I am not seeing any fluid in the overflow - I even removed the front tire and I see nothing. I accidently opened the radiator cap and the manual warns not to do this before checkinng or addding. So what do I do now? I presume I have to "burp" the system??

Is the procedure for adding fluid to the overlflow the same for 2002 GTS?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback. My damn service manual is still not here!!!

thanks in advance

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy smokes. This is an old one.

sbkim, you don't necessarily need to burp the system just because you opened the rad cap but it wouldn't hurt to do it. The procedure should be the same for 92-02.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chuck - thank you! I am an idiot - after I opened the 3" cover and with light you can clearly see where the fluid level is.