I bought a little piece of Viper history today--Lutz Viper

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool and thanks for sharing your story with us. Looking forward to the pics.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As promised I am posting a few (of many) pics taken when meeting Bob Lutz after buying his 92 Viper (number 2)

First, let me say for a guy who has done more for gearheads in the last 30 years than almost anyone , and is a sought after celebrity (car mags, shows, Letterman Show last month) he acts like just another enthusiast.

I had the pleaseure of meeting with him for several hours and during that time he tossed me the keys to his ZR-1, and new Camaro (wow-great driving cars) I also got to ride with him while he drove the Vette and explained the background of the Z. He also discussed with me the other car we both have --the CTS-V--another car I bought because I knew he was behind it at GM.

He also gave me a tour of his extensive car collection. I wish you could hear the enthusiasm in his voice when he talks cars. I told my wife (and I am dating myself) I felt like I was 12 years old and spending the day talking to Mickey Mantle about baseball.

Anyway, I could write 10 pages on the topic but suffice it to say, it was a great day. Oh, and I get the car in 2 or 3 days from Reliable.

(The last pic is me following him. I am in the ZR-1.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you ask Bob why he decided to sell his viper?

No. He just had these 2 Vipers and he was selling both. I suspect he was making room for other cars. It was certainly not because he needed to. As everyone knows he has an extensive collection not to mention aircraft.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great to hear! Did you ask him to buy the Viper line and keep it going? ;)

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. He just had these 2 Vipers and he was selling both. I suspect he was making room for other cars. It was certainly not because he needed to. As everyone knows he has an extensive collection not to mention aircraft.

I was suprised to see him sell them, especially for his involvment in bringing the Viper to life. I assumed he would have a soft spot for the car.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>> I assumed he would have a soft spot for the car.<<<

Obviously, not! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>> I assumed he would have a soft spot for the car.<<<

Obviously, not! :rolleyes:

I can't speak for him, but he talks fondly about the Viper and the Viper community. I think he indeed has fond memories of everything about the Viper. He still speaks about it with pride in interviews.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to drive that car down to the Vipers at the Biltmore event in August!

How many Vipers do you current have, just the 92 and 09?

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to drive that car down to the Vipers at the Biltmore event in August!

How many Vipers do you current have, just the 92 and 09?

As a top NC lawyer with great attention to detail I would have thought you would have noticed the 06 Coupe in my sig line:) (too much time in the office) 92, 06 and 09 now plus some other toys. Previous 95, 00 and 05 Vipers--greatly missed one and all.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have prodded him to buy the Viper line, he needs a challenge :D :D :D

Very nice buy and I bet it was a great experience. Any pictures of the engine. I thought I saw on another thread where the second car produced had an iron block truck engine in it. True?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very nice buy and I bet it was a great experience. Any pictures of the engine. I thought I saw on another thread where the second car produced had an iron block truck engine in it. True?

That anecdote is partially correct and relates to the 2nd development MULE car from 1989-90 era.....it was/is WHITE.

Bob's / Drummer's is a 1992 PRODUCTION car # 00002. All 285 PVP and production cars had the Lambo-redesigned Alum V10

Last edited:
OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That anecdote is partially correct and relates to the 2nd development MULE car from 1989-90 era.....it was/is WHITE.

Bob's / Drummer's is a 1992 PRODUCTION car # 00002. All 285 PVP and production cars had the Lambo-redesigned Alum V10

Yeah, yeah I knew that. I didn't want to show off. I was just waiting for Jon to chime in..............:D

On a serious note, the car has arrived (and shares space with its siblings) from Reliable and when I get a chance I will take some pics, and post some thoughts. It is a neat piece.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have better pics of Bob's car Friday--just testing one here. Can anyone make this open--RT99?

Last edited:

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just surfed by this thread today..... and deeply respect it. Unfortunatly there are no pictures to be seen... @Viperdrummer can you post them again please...... I'm very curious about it all.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. I would love to see the pictures of your historic 92