I can't decide what to buy, ACR or not. Any suggestions would help.

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can\'t decide what to buy, ACR or not. Any suggestions would help.

This will be a daily driver and on the weekends I will go to the track for HPDE's. No drag racing. I'm not sure which is the better car to fit my needs. I want to have good resale value, which has better resale value? I like the rims on the ACR better. I know you can lower the acr but I don't plan to lower the car unless it helps with handling. I want good track performance but don't know which car is faster on the track. Bill P. says to get the non-ACR. He feels that the ACR's suspension is WAY too hard to adjust properly and that it's not worth the trouble. I don't know if this is true or if he'd just rather sell me the non-acr GTS. What are your opinions. The price difference for me will be $9000 for the ACR (not with Bill P.)

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I can\'t decide what to buy, ACR or not. Any suggestions would help.

I think that in the distant future ACRs should be worth significantly more, but I can tell you (after just selling a 2001 ACR), the ACR package does not currently add anywhere close to the $10000 cost over a GTS for resale.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lord help you driving a Viper in San Francisco every day! Actually, I've taken mine across the bay and its not so bad as long as you don't get stuck with a cable car 2 inches from your rear bumper while on a steep grade.

Go with a standard GTS and modify according to the needs you deem appropriate after track time has been served.

Good Luck!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"..go to the track for HPDE's.......Which car is faster on the track......I want to have good resale value."

Let me try to understand.

You are going to do some High Performance Driving Education and you worry about which one will be faster?

I will say that right now the limiting factor in how fast you can lap a track is not going to be the car but YOU the driver.

Even with a regular GTS,you are going to need a LOT of track time and practice before you can use 100% of it.

Also if you want to have good resale value and use it as your daily driver,I will think that you don't want to put a roll cage in it.
And without a roll cage,forget about racing.
Even in an open-track format,without a cage you will be limited to the slowest group.

Luc.00GTS

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi, hope you find this helpful...

1. I bought my car from Bill P. and he sells what the customer is best served with (you don't have to worry about him pushing something on you just because it's in stock - they have a huge inventory).

2. If he was playing a sales game he would be trying to sell you the most expensive car possible (which he isn't).

3. I agree with his advice. The ACR is basically a suspension package, rims, and intake/filter upgrade which can be accomplished for less if you even need/want all the package offers.

4. Resale value is a bit of an unknown - but I think they both GTS and GTS/ACR will hold their values proportionately to their sticker prices.

5. You will love either one

6. You are shopping at a great dealership

7. You will love either one

8. The most important thing is the color anyway

9. You will love either one

You get the idea...

Jeff

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Luc, High Performance Driving Eventsnot education.
embarass.gif

Even so, there is nothing wrong with having a great handling car even if I am not able to drive it to is maximum potentia, yet. I bet most people on the track events are not able to drive their cars to the max potential of the vehicles.
Who says I want to go racing. I just want to got track events with my local clubs, like shelby club, etc... you don't need a roll bar for that. You can be in A class and run with the fast guys without a roll bar. So I don't know what you are saying. When I say resale I mean, of the two cars, which has better resale, that's all. Thanks

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sfcobra97:
Luc, High Performance Driving Eventsnot education.
embarass.gif

Even so, there is nothing wrong with having a great handling car even if I am not able to drive it to is maximum potentia, yet. I bet most people on the track events are not able to drive their cars to the max potential of the vehicles.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what Luc is saying is that the performance difference between the two Vipers would not make any difference in the hands of an unskilled driver. For example, it's not like you'd be going from a Neon to a Viper.

As far as resale, only time will tell. Personally I don't think the difference will be significant. You pay more for the ACR, you'll get more for it when you sell it, but I doubt the difference will be exponential. Besides, I think the RT/10 will be the most sought after in twenty years. Roadsters/convertibles are always worth a few more bucks to collectors than coupes aren't they?