I feel stupid, but how do you get the oil filter out of a 96 GTS?

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It should drop straight down. If a piece of sheet metal appears to be in the way, you have probably had a frame recall done incorrectly. A factory recall called for a frame reinforcement to be attached by a combination of welds, rivets, and maybe some bolts. the reinforcement ran under the front of the engine, extending from the left frame rail to the right frame rail. many times the reinforcement pieces were installed backwards resulting in the spot below the oil filter being blocked off (I understand Dodge acutally mis-labeled some of the pieces, and they "look" like they should be installed backwards). the only way to fix is to have the reinforcement piece removed and then re-done correctly. Sorry if this is what has happened in your case.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wonder if the recall was done wrong.

I had the same problem. Recall done wrong. Here is how you get it out. Obviously you have probably dumped oil all over the place in frustration but ( Reading from my husband's notes here) turn the filter sideways and slide it along the rack and pinion over to the driver's side as far as it will go. There is a space that is tight but it will fit through. It bumps against the serpentine belt but just push hard and tilt it down and it will come out.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tagoo, Steve and Plumb. Yeah, my recall was done improperly. I wish I was just stupid enough to not get the filter out. Now to figure out what plan B is. The oil filter adapter is what's stopping me from pulling it out by the A arm, and other than raising the motor or notching the plate, I'm screwed. I also need to get the frame fixed, I'm not going through this again.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
**EDIT**

That ***** so much man, sorry to hear. Only bright spot is we live in IL and have got a ton of resources and trusted people to take it to.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have not unscrewed the old filter or can put it back without any damage, do it. Then get it to your nearest trusted Dealership. They should fix it No Charge.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, too late to go back. I had to pound a screwdriver through the filter just to get it off so there was no going back. I just got done cutting the bracket, so I will finally be able to complete this simple task that took me 4 hours. I consulted a few people before taking the cutter to it. Thanks for all the help Steve, and Tom was a wealth of knowledge, thanks for the number.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad you were able to get to the filter. Now you can take your time choosing someone to fix the botched recall job.

kand3g

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same problem as troublemaker. I live in middle Tennessee and have been searching for someone to correct the recall. I would appreciate any recommendations.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how long ago the car last had it's oil changed.

That is a very good question. I need to go through all the paperwork and start a spread sheet.

Steve, your help was huge, thanks a lot. As busy as Tom was he still took his time with me on the phone. I tried to cut the conversation short so he could get back to the paying jobs, but he still spent more time on the phone with me than he should have.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem as troublemaker. I live in middle Tennessee and have been searching for someone to correct the recall. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Haven't forgotten about you. Working on getting things fixed so I can take care of it for you. Hopefully can work something out soon.

And Glad I could help the OP today with his issues. Hopefully we can get him taken care of as well.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I'm not much help here, but it ***** when a 15 minute job turns into an disaster, I had a bad day in the garage today but not near this bad. Well at least your on the way to getting fixed Troblemaker, you're in good hands.

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the car out tonight. I took the air wheel to the plate and made it actually look decent. It's not something somebody will see, but I know it's there. The hardest part was just taking off enough to get the filter through, no more. It was more like 20 test fits to get it right, but I still want to get it fixed right.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do a road trip and take the car to Ringgold Dodge in GA. They have fixed 2 of my cars. No charge. They are the PREMIER Dodge dealer in GA!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang