I guess i shouldn't be surprised......

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my new K&N CAI arrived today.
they are advertised to give a 14 HP boost to my gen3. "guaranteed HP gain" in the ad.
well, when you get the written guarantee with the unit, it REALLY does guarantee a HP increase. BUT "individual results may vary".
SO, if i do back to back dyno pulls, baseline and post K&N, within 30 minutes apart, on a "certified" dyno, and see NO gain whatsoever, they will refund my purchase price .
IF i return everything in it's original package with shipping at my expense!
like i said, i should have known (and listened to you guys):(
BUT, in my defense, i did realize and honest 12 HP gain on my grand national with a K&N under the bumper CAI"ram air" set up.
please tell me i'm not going to be this disappointed with the computer tune and underdrive pulley and 160 thermostat!
where's that damn "embarrassed" smiley?!?
tom
btw, i don't even want to talk about the cat delete pipes i just ordered..........

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
live and learn, this forum is a great resource and if the majority say something about a parts performance its wise to listen :)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see were the confusion is on the gen 3s and kn air intakes.

they are very proven at this point.

vipers are hand built meaning one stock gen3 may hit 425 rwhp on the dyno and 5 minutes later on the same dyno your friends stock gen3 may hit 455 rwhp.

so how much you pick up from a kn air intake really depends on your air fuel ratio from the factory. stock for stock some are just richer/leaner than others.

i had a stock intake with kn filters and went to a kn air intake. power went from 454 rwhp to 460 rwhp on back to back dynos.

went with a roe racing sct emailed tune and power went from 473 to 486 rwhp.

i also have the underdrive pulley and while i didnt do a back to back dyno it certanly feels like it did somthing.

id say counting those mods plus the cat delete you will gain a minimum of 15 rwhp. maximum of 30.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plus side of the K&N is that you have filters that will last the life of the car. They do flow better and can be easily cleaned and re-oiled.

As previously stated, you may need some custom tuning to bring out the most in your mods.

--FQB

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that written claim specify where in the power band the 14 HP is delivered? Are you assuming that the entire HP dyno curve will move upward by 14 HP? Far more likely you may find a 10-14 HP increase at some small range of RPM ... usually in the FAR upper reaches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960