I have a concern here

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello viper nation. I have a concern with my 03 srt-10 viper. When i cruise with the top town i experience some movement in the windshield/header portion (basically the cowl, i think?) It happens only between the drivers side visor and the latch bar to anchor the top. I can duplicate the sound by thumping my fist in the area that i described above. Basically the rest of the cowl is thump pruff or sound proof except only by the drivers side. I spoke with my service advisor on this matter and he replied," "We've had the same thing going on with a couple of our srt's that we sold. Reportedly some clients were complaining about the same issue that i have. I told my dad we should have the dealer diagnose the problem... I really think this is a new issue that hasn't been fully addressed. My service advisor is really aware of it and he is curious if his viper tech can figure out this strange cowl movement.

Ps. This noise only happens in a few rough spots on throughout my driving.
Pss. Should i do anything with this issue?

Bring our troops home.... Nobody can fight terrorism. :usa:

OP
OP
G

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bring our troops home... nobody can fight terrorism. That was just a side note from me off topic.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gowings,

I have a concern too - I can't believe you would say such a thing! Don't normally respond to this sort of thing (and I apologize because it has nothing to do with the car problem that you address in your post), BUT, as one of the troops who is in S.W. Asia, fighting the war on terrorism, I have to make a couple of quick comments.

1. Isolationism is a policy that has never worked well for America.

2. Until you get on a plane and spend some time in one of these impoverished Islamic nations, you can't image the magnitude of the problem.

I'm guessing that you did not loose any loved ones in 9/11. If you had, you would probably feel quite differently about things. Yes, the current COA is costing the country a lot of money and hardship by having so many deployed. But it is worth the cost.

Just my .02 :usa:

6147Me_at_Orgun_VCP-med.jpg

Reaction score
Just a quick observation or two.

It is best to keep your discussion centered on your CAR in this forum. :)

If you wish to stray to off topic issues....do so in Off Topic. :)

Get a good flame suit. Aside from stating your opinion that "Nobody can fight terrorism"....what is your suggestion? Are you happy to sit in your house and not leave? Do you understand the implications of NOT fighting? Hmmmm. Imagine how the guy feels (and I am sure there WAS one years ago) who said it was a waste of time to fight Cancer! As long as the fight is good, and just, it will always be worth it....and it will eventually end with a victory.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick observation or two.

It is best to keep your discussion centered on your CAR in this forum. :)

If you wish to stray to off topic issues....do so in Off Topic. :)

Get a good flame suit. Aside from stating your opinion that "Nobody can fight terrorism"....what is your suggestion? Are you happy to sit in your house and not leave? Do you understand the implications of NOT fighting? Hmmmm. Imagine how the guy feels (and I am sure there WAS one years ago) who said it was a waste of time to fight Cancer! As long as the fight is good, and just, it will always be worth it....and it will eventually end with a victory.

Well said! :headbang:

OP
OP
G

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for not moving that little thread to off topic :)
But aside from my little gesture, that cowl movement in my car probably has to be looked at. Sorry for the little stir of things...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure I understand your issue. Is it noise or movement? If it is a noise with the top down then I am not sure I have anything similar. There was a TSB for a noise coming from the defroster vent which may sound like it is coming from up higher.

My $0.02 and I won't comment on the "Nobody can fight terrorism" statement as it doesn't deserve a response.

OP
OP
G

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is this defroster vent located Ron? Anyways you have to pay extra attention when you go over bad roads when you hear this "clunk". You arn't really up to ***** on this... My service advisor says that he's had a couple of srt-10's that have been acting up on this isssue. I'll most likely take it in for service and have him look at it. He is curious about fixing it.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello viper nation. I have a concern with my 03 srt-10 viper. When i cruise with the top town i experience some movement in the windshield/header portion (basically the cowl, i think?) It happens only between the drivers side visor and the latch bar to anchor the top. I can duplicate the sound by thumping my fist in the area that i described above. Basically the rest of the cowl is thump pruff or sound proof except only by the drivers side. I spoke with my service advisor on this matter and he replied," "We've had the same thing going on with a couple of our srt's that we sold. Reportedly some clients were complaining about the same issue that i have. I told my dad we should have the dealer diagnose the problem... I really think this is a new issue that hasn't been fully addressed. My service advisor is really aware of it and he is curious if his viper tech can figure out this strange cowl movement.

Ps. This noise only happens in a few rough spots on throughout my driving.
Pss. Should i do anything with this issue?

Bring our troops home.... Nobody can fight terrorism. :usa:

Just surrender to it and accept it like the french would.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am not up to ***** on this. I was only speaking from another owner's perspective. One who has over 5000 miles on an SRT-10.

I have had a clunk that was determined to be the exhaust crossover hitting the undertray. But definitely no clunk coming from the Windshield header region.

The defroster duct is on the instrument panel in the center near the base of the windshield.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to defeat the lions, sometimes you have to go into their den! I personally am a CAN DO kind of guy.
If the Dem's get in, we'll be coming home with our tails between our legs. That will garner more respect for the US in the Middle East I'm sure. :rolleyes:
Keeping them busy chasing their butts around there gives us more time to beef up our home defenses. I haven't seen any significant terrorist acts in this country since 9/11 (almost 3 years now)...have you?
Do you think the state of Israel would still exist if they had that defeatest attitude?
We will never eliminate terrorism...all we can do is keep it out of OUR country.

BTW, I don't understand the nature of your Viper problem. Are you talking about the window header?

OP
OP
G

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron, what are the tsb's that you were aware of? Is your header cowl thump proof. Just go down the whole winshield/header with your fist and give it a couple of rings. Mine is solid until you get into the drivers side. I'm taking mine in i don't care what they do to it. I just want it right! My service advisor is pretty curious of this issue and want's to fix it.

OP
OP
G

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Ray, The Thick metal support bar that runs parallel to the windshield. I have a noise that is directly in between the driver's visor and the latch bar. I't only happens on some bumps or minor road imperfections. It makes a "drop clunk" noise. Do you understand. I think my cowl is defective. Something isn't right. It is going to turn out to be an experiment.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I just went out to the car and starting "thumping" arond the windshield surround (note the windshield surround is plastic and not metal). I do hear a dull clicking inside. I tried touching anything near (A pillar moulding, visor, etc.) and could not stop it. It sounds to me like a wire or something similar inside the windshield surround. Never heard it on the road so maybe yours is worse or you drive on roads worse than I do (yes I know Michigan roads ****, but I tend to drive on the known good ones).

It may be worth taking off some of the parts (A pillar molding, the piece at the top of the A pillar, etc) and see if there is something inside there. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Ron, The hollow black metal portion of the cowl that runs parrallel with the windshield. You know were your top fastenes... That whole metal frame.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gowings you have me a little confused. The cowl is the outside piece just below the windshield. The windshield frame is the large plastic piece that surrounds the windshield. You keep mentioning a metal frame. Not sure I have a metal frame near my windshield.

SRT10 the latch noise was a very tinny sound coming from the latch region with the roof up. Gowings complaint is with the top down. I did follow Wing King procedure after my dealer had no idea how to correct it.

OP
OP
G

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fixed it. I pulled on the this black wire that goes into the header and it probably was the culprit. You had to remove the plastic A-Pillar to get at it. They're was some serious VooDoo shi% that was going on with that cowl. Funny how some things just happen :)