I have to stay off eBay....

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what you bought :dunno: but if it's what is in the picture that seems kind of high for a piece of cardboard. :confused: But.... the printing on it looks real nice and clear!! I think the old tape takes away from the value somewhat though. JMO :rolleyes:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part # in the listing is shown as 05245781, which fits up to 1996. 1997-2000 (my books stop at 2000..but I'd expect up to 2002 are the same) lists the center hood silencer pad as 4848025AB. Was the first number just superceded? Viper parts lists the laster # as fitting 1992-2002...but I didn;t think hood pads came until 1995 or 96. (My former '94 did not have one...just a bit of foil)

Not sure what the difference could be, except for the NACA duct and vents. I'd guess the first number is supposed to fit up to '96...that would mean smooth hood RTs not GTS in '96.

I'll have to lift the hoods on my '96 RT and 2000 GTS to see.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a new one from my local dealer about 2 months ago, they had to order it for me and it was about $150. The box was massive, litterally about 4'x7 (wouldn't fit into my jeep commander with all seats down) so had to take it out of box at dealer. hope shipping wasn't too much for you...

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'95's had a sneaky pete hood pad...... I want one for my '94 for the right price. pm me if it's not what you want.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shipping "varies" should have been a clue.

I ordered one for my 96 GTS and it was only under $150 shipped to the dealer. The box is big enough that they have to be shipped freight and they are very fragile as boxed. I had to unbox mine at the dealer also and it would barely fit in the back of my Mazdaspeed 3. I would not have ordered one if the dealer was not responsible for intact delivery by their truck to the dealership. The hood pads are only for fire suppression and not having one will not damage the hood paint. Mine came without the braided grounds that attach to the hood hinges, although they supposedly originally came with the hood pad.

Last edited:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just re-read this thread. I know there's alot of talk on the web and elsewhere about the hood pads being for fire suppression...but they're not. They'd be lousy at this anyhow.

Chrysler calls it a "silencer" in the parts books as it's there to quiet engine noise. I'd imagine it also helps with engine heat in protecting the hood from the heat extremes.

A bit off topic..my 2005 Excursion did not come with one...but the 2004s did. I added one.

The earlier Vipers (if memory serves) just had a foil pad in the very center of the hood...but they added the big pad a few years later. Perhaps, to protect the hoods that in early cars were prone to issues?

OP
OP
T

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay finally got this thing, and out of the box. It has the Sneaky pete on it. Is foil on the back, and padded on the front. Also has the braided straps. Seems to match up to my GTS fine.

I ended up getting the thing for $110 shipped. Only problem is the guy shipped it freight. Then emailed me AFTER SHIPPING and said it cost him $250 to ship from OH to MI. Wanted to know if I could help out. I just ignored the email. I kinda feel like a *****, but it came up as $17 for shipping and I just paid it. If he would have emailed me I would have just said no big deal and still left positive feedback, but he just went ahead and shipped it and paid for it!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O
I ended up getting the thing for $110 shipped. Only problem is the guy shipped it freight. Then emailed me AFTER SHIPPING and said it cost him $250 to ship from OH to MI. Wanted to know if I could help out. I just ignored the email.

That guy must be one heck of a respectable eBay seller to take a loss like that. And with a low feedback, so no risk. Very respectable. You really lucked out there ! It certainly was their mistake to ship it without discussing their mistake, so, loser's weepers !

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay finally got this thing, and out of the box. It has the Sneaky pete on it. Is foil on the back, and padded on the front. Also has the braided straps. Seems to match up to my GTS fine.

I ended up getting the thing for $110 shipped. Only problem is the guy shipped it freight. Then emailed me AFTER SHIPPING and said it cost him $250 to ship from OH to MI. Wanted to know if I could help out. I just ignored the email. I kinda feel like a *****, but it came up as $17 for shipping and I just paid it. If he would have emailed me I would have just said no big deal and still left positive feedback, but he just went ahead and shipped it and paid for it!

Could this be a new type of Ebay scam? Sell something then email the buyer saying "hey shipping cost way more than I thought, can you help me out some?" I'd email the buyer before shipment and see if he wanted to pay the additional fee or just cancel the transaction.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reply to him and tell him that your local dealer sells it for $158 and that's it (no shipping) cause you pick it up from the dealer and the only reason you bought his is because it was $110 plus $17 shipping for a total of $127 so you purchased it to save about $30 bucks not to end up paying over double for the dam thing. HE SHOULD HAVE NEVER SHIPPED IT KNOWING IT WAS $250, WHAT DUMB @SS WOULD DO THAT WITHOUT CONSULTING THE BUYER, SHAME ON HIM...

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually have a brand new one still in the box as well. No longer have the 95 RT I bought it for. So if anyone else is looking????? The box is HUGE so it would have to be planned out how to get it to you. Shoot me a PM if you want info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery