I heard a "Bang!!" in my rear end of My GTS..any idea's?

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I heard a \"Bang!!\" in my rear end of My GTS..any idea\'s?

It was God knocking you on the head for trying to lose control of your Viper. BTW, the delete option on common sense is not a warranty issue.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It happened to me once around 3 years ago. I was waiting at a light. As the light went green, I got on the gas lightly and heard this loud bang from behind. Since I'd hardly even started moving, I thought at first that I got hit from behind. I checked the back of the car and there was no damage. Just annoyed people behind me asking me to get out of their way. There wasn't any damage, smoke, oil or anything to account for the sound.

The only thing I can think of is that something in the drivetrain slipped and caused that sound. The sound was too loud for normal play in the drivetrain. Perhaps the differential.

All the original parts are still on the car and I've never had the problem recur. Everything sounds and feels fine.

-Avi

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score

Springs resetting maybe? That's the only time I have ever heard a rear end bang like that...

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I heard it once in my 00 -- I was going about 40 and dropped her into second and floored it.

I only heard it twice. I haven't heard it since (then again, I haven't been dropping into second from a 40 roll).

Some guys thought it may have been a backfire.

Steve

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lets see, you "heard" of "felt" a BANG in the rear?
If you felt a bang in the rear, I would immediatly suspect some gerbil action coming back to haunt you.
If you heard it, maybe the car behind you?

Hope that helped Adam!

Gerald

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Adam
It could be God reminding you to join the VCA, ORRRRRRR
it could be downforce from that awesome wing caused you to have excessive traction for just an instant.
BURNOUT.gif

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

hehe Charlie..maybe you're right. I think the spring thing is what it might have been. If it was the tranny...I think I would have felt something...which I really can't recall.

Gerald..gerbils? Man you are a sick puppy!! What's up with my family in Tampa? Antonio still asking for those clams in *******?

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same thing happened to me. I checked the trunk thinking something rolled loose. Still don't know origin of noise.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I popped the clutch in my 1999RT10 going about 10 miles an hour. Same result bang in the rear end. I was like, now I did it. But everything seems fine. I hope it was just the springs!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I'll have to agree with Charlie's FIRST answer!!
bounce.gif

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I heard a \"Bang!!\" in my rear end of My GTS..any idea\'s?

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything. I was driving my 1998 GTS about 20 mph. I pushed in my clutch and reved about 3500-4000 rpms and let the clutch go while rolling. Wheels spun and then heard a loud Bang from the rear. The cars seems like it drives fine. What the heck was that noise? (It wasn't my tire or anything loose in my trunk). It was a mechanical noise. Was it my drive shaft?

It reminded me of when I had my 1994 rt/10 and I accidently down shifted into 2nd from 3rd at a high rpm range. it too made a loud bang type noise.

Any help would be appreciated!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, it could have been a stray Tomahawk missile meant for Bin Laden that caused that bang. Install some countermeasures like chaffs and flares and you should be ok next time.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hopefully it was bin laden and the cars fine.Just in case be a smart guy and take it to the dealer to document,spin the drivetrain on the rack.
bounce.gif

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check the large bolts on the bottom of the differential housing holding the ladder bar on. If they were loose, the differential housing could have slipped and the noise would be the bolts hitting the far side of the holes they go through?