I need help with my stock rims

Blazin' Blue Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 97 GTS stock rims seem to be losing their luster. What is the best way to get them shiny and new again. I wash the car religiously and am noticing that the finish seems to be getting dull, almost like a haze effect.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW - I just went through a similar situation w/my '97 OEM five spokes. I went to Auto Zone and bought two Meguiar's products 1) Power Ball (small size) 2) High speed polish. Connected the Power ball to the end of my 14.4 Makita cordless and fired that badboy up. It worked well. And hey, for 30 bucks it's worth a shot before having them professionally polished. :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rob, ya still got that powerball amd polish ? i wanna give it a shot on mine. but what about the clearcoat on them ?

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your rims still have the clear coat present, you can use any swirl remover/polish and then a coat of wax just like you'd do on your paint. This should bring them back to there original shine.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil, I still have everything I used. My rims were in bad shape. They're better now, but far from perfect. You're welcome to come over anytime. I also wondered about the clearcoat and how a polish could be effective given that. I think I just powerballed right through it. lol. Strangely though, it still seemed to help the shine a lot. Go figure...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try some Meguires ScratchX first (cheap and not that hard to do and see what happens).

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Blazin, we should get together so you can see what I have done with my rims, I removed the clear then polished the aluminum and I'm only a half hour away a little more work but a mirror finish :2tu:

10215Mirror_finish-med.jpg

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how did you remove all the clearcoat ? did it ALL come off and how hard was it to do?

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DANG!!! Knight Viper...that is a serious polish job! That is fantastic!

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used a couple applications of a spay on paint remover, sanded out the imperfections, buffed them and then rubbed them the rest of the way with mothers.

OP
OP
B

Blazin' Blue Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats some shine on those rims Knight. What are the long term effects of not having a clear coat on. Is the rim going to be less tolerant to corrosion.I would love to check out that shine.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like any "raw" polished aluminum surface...it'll look actually better than a straight clear coated surface as long as you keep them polished. Most metal polishes do not actually work on a clear coated surface, only surfaces where the metal is actually present. All these wheel products on a clear coated surface do nothing but slowly remove/etch the clear coat due the fine abrasives and petroleum distillates present. I have sanded many aluminum rims/fixtures over the years and polished them up to a chrome-like shine with Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish, etc. Looks great but requires a degree of dedication thereafter. IMO, aluminum rims should never be cleared; just highly polished from the factory and then polished regularly (most owners would probably spend less time with aluminum polish than they do with all the other ways/means they are using to try to get their rims looking good). Mild curb rash would be a thing of the past if that were the case too. Knight Viper has the right idea. I just don’t have the time to strip, sand, polish mine right now….but soon.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Knight and Ellow, can you guys elaborate on how you stripped the clearcoat from your rims (ie. products used, technique etc.) Also, what was involved in the sanding process (progressive grades used etc.)? Plum and I need to know before we take matters into our own hands...muahhhhhhh :crazy: :bonker:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the one's I've done in the past I've had the tires off (value stems and tire beads create a lot of work arounds that end up being more trouble than leaving the tires/valve stems on...not impossible, but aggravating. So you think you want to tackle some expensive Viper rims eh.. OK then.
I'd practice on a piece of aluminium just to see what the process is like...get a piece of scrap such as an aluminium cookie sheet or something you can polish up. Grab your neighbors diamondback aluminium runningboards or tool box for starters!!
1. Dismount and remove tire/valve stem/center cap.
2. Remove clear coat (I prefer to use progressively finer grit wet/dry sand paper...600/800 to start...moving up to 1500... finishing with 2000). Don't skimp on the sand paper. Use it freely and keep the piece you are using sharp/wet/clean. Use a soapy mix. I do not like to use chemical removers since I have had some products etch into the aluminium and I had to spend considerable time sanding out the discoloration (especially in tight spaces).
3. Once the finish is free from clear coat and any other imperfections (curb rash can be sanded out as well), the fun part starts.
4. I use a 6" D/A air sander with a wool bonnet that simply stretches via elastic over the sanding pad. I'd probably get one of those Mother's Balls too for use in the tighter areas (or something similar...the more tools you can use for the job vice hand/arm power the better).
5. Put some Mothers Mag/Aluminium polish on the pad (about 2x what you'd put on your toothbrush). You can do this all by hand with a cotton cloth too, but after one rim you will be tired. At any rate, start the polishing process on one of the larger spokes. You will notice the residue from the polish turning a dark black the longer you work the area. This is the reaction from the polish, heat, and the raw aluminium and is a good thing. This is not an indication to put more polish on the rim!! Less is better and let the polish/residue do its work. From time to time, wipe the area with a clean cotton cloth and you will see a chrome-like appearance coming from the polished area. If you did the prior sanding work properly, this will be scratch and defect free and only get better the more you polish. If there are fine scratches, hit the 2000 grit wet/dry and sand again until the imperfections are removed.
6. Polished alumimium looks a bit different than clear coated or chrome so don't be shocked by the contrast (take before/after pics). Sort of deeper and softer vice the bright flashy look.
7. Now, after this is all done, your rims will look wonderful, but any thing that gets on the rims will quickly tarnish the finish (remember, you have raw polished aluminium vs. the elements). A good wax/polish can help, but every few weeks or so, take a clean rag with some Mothers on it and work the rims. You wil once again get the black residue each and every time you do this. This is the indication that the polish is working.
8. The clear coat and chrome fans will jump in at this point since that is the major drawback from this process. Once you go clearless/chromeless, you have to polish/maintain regularly...but you will have the flexibility to maintain your rims better over the years of ownership. Oh yea, speaking of that, resale will probably be less if you do this to your rims...if the buyer has any wheel knowledge.
9. Time frame...probably take one hour per wheel with the tire/valve stem off.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rob, you got this down ??

i wanna try with my bad rear wheel. half the clear is off it anyways..lol how much worse can we make it ?

then if it comes out good, my buddy can powdrecoat them clear for me.. :)

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ellow, WOW you just saved me some typing, thanks! I would like to add a couple comments if I may; I used a chemical stripper and left it on one of my center caps over night as a test with no ill affects. It is made by Mar-Hyde and it is the "Tal-Strip IV URETHANE PARTS paint remover". Trying to wet sand all of the clear out of you caps is difficult going around a circle. I also used 1000 grit for any rash then went up to 3000 to make the polishing easier but all in all what Ellow said was right on! :2tu: Have fun and good luck, it's all a labor of love and yes I did mine with the tires off

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, Never thought about polishing the center caps. THat would be tough with sand paper. It was years ago that I used chemical removers. I'm sure technology has improved dramatically and today's products as Knight Viper used are probably incredible.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the one's I've done in the past I've had the tires off (value stems and tire beads create a lot of work arounds that end up being more trouble than leaving the tires/valve stems on...not impossible, but aggravating. So you think you want to tackle some expensive Viper rims eh.. OK then.
I'd practice on a piece of aluminium just to see what the process is like...get a piece of scrap such as an aluminium cookie sheet or something you can polish up. Grab your neighbors diamondback aluminium runningboards or tool box for starters!!
1. Dismount and remove tire/valve stem/center cap.
2. Remove clear coat (I prefer to use progressively finer grit wet/dry sand paper...600/800 to start...moving up to 1500... finishing with 2000). Don't skimp on the sand paper. Use it freely and keep the piece you are using sharp/wet/clean. Use a soapy mix. I do not like to use chemical removers since I have had some products etch into the aluminium and I had to spend considerable time sanding out the discoloration (especially in tight spaces).
3. Once the finish is free from clear coat and any other imperfections (curb rash can be sanded out as well), the fun part starts.
4. I use a 6" D/A air sander with a wool bonnet that simply stretches via elastic over the sanding pad. I'd probably get one of those Mother's Balls too for use in the tighter areas (or something similar...the more tools you can use for the job vice hand/arm power the better).
5. Put some Mothers Mag/Aluminium polish on the pad (about 2x what you'd put on your toothbrush). You can do this all by hand with a cotton cloth too, but after one rim you will be tired. At any rate, start the polishing process on one of the larger spokes. You will notice the residue from the polish turning a dark black the longer you work the area. This is the reaction from the polish, heat, and the raw aluminium and is a good thing. This is not an indication to put more polish on the rim!! Less is better and let the polish/residue do its work. From time to time, wipe the area with a clean cotton cloth and you will see a chrome-like appearance coming from the polished area. If you did the prior sanding work properly, this will be scratch and defect free and only get better the more you polish. If there are fine scratches, hit the 2000 grit wet/dry and sand again until the imperfections are removed.
6. Polished alumimium looks a bit different than clear coated or chrome so don't be shocked by the contrast (take before/after pics). Sort of deeper and softer vice the bright flashy look.
7. Now, after this is all done, your rims will look wonderful, but any thing that gets on the rims will quickly tarnish the finish (remember, you have raw polished aluminium vs. the elements). A good wax/polish can help, but every few weeks or so, take a clean rag with some Mothers on it and work the rims. You wil once again get the black residue each and every time you do this. This is the indication that the polish is working.
8. The clear coat and chrome fans will jump in at this point since that is the major drawback from this process. Once you go clearless/chromeless, you have to polish/maintain regularly...but you will have the flexibility to maintain your rims better over the years of ownership. Oh yea, speaking of that, resale will probably be less if you do this to your rims...if the buyer has any wheel knowledge.
9. Time frame...probably take one hour per wheel with the tire/valve stem off.

Ellow - Thank you for the well thought-out and insightful response. I'm godamned inspired now! Phil, let's get 'er done! :nana: