I need some paint advice

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Mr. Whittier is absolutely correct. A base-coat/clear-coat should not by any means start to peel on it's own. As a professional painter and a true lover of fine automobiles, in my opinion it would be tragedy to put a "single" stage paint on a viper!

It's all in the prep!
DV

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

We consider Single Stage paint a paint that production type shops will use. Normally it is used for ease and speed. It's not like it will fall off your car, crack, or change colors. We compare it to the 60's Acrylic Enamel vs. a well laid down and buffed Acrylic Lacquer paint job of the same era.

Anyone that knows quality paint work will usually be able to spot a Single Stage paint immediately. I don't know of any national award winner's using the single stage system. (I know...there is an exception to every rule!)

May I suggest you take a look at one of your shops finished single stage paint jobs, then go to a different shop and take a look at one of there BC/CC paint jobs. I have little doubt that you will see the difference immediately.

Painting is like so many other things...opinions, opinions. These are mine.

No Single Stage here!

You must be registered for see images

DV

ps... soon as I get permission from some owners, I'll post some of our Viper pics!
smile.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Double Venom:

It's all in the prep!
DV

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't that the truth!

Questions for you DV, 20 years ago we would wet sand in between coats for a better job (I can't remember the grit). Recently I used Dupont two stage. The stuff works great but if I wanted to give it an even higher luster would you recommend sanding in between coats? Also, would additional layers of base be beneficial, or is one enough and then multiple coats of clear?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
Now Chuck... you wouldn't be thinking of prettying up #34, would you?
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet. Avoid it as I may, realistically I probably have a few more dates with walls before I retire the car to poser heaven.

DV, thanks for the info. I'll have more questions in the future.

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
What we do, puts our Dupont rep. into heart failure! He has stood right next to me over and over again, mumbeling to himself, "you can't do that!" Good thing no one told me we "couldn't do that" 25 years ago! I might not have learned how to do it the "wrong way"!

If your referring to the Base Coat / Clear coat system, yes we do wet sand between coats. Takes a lot of time, but you can see the results.

We have found out that this is an absolute, especially with stripes, or artwork involved. We put down two wet coats of clear on top of our basework and let it dry anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. It is at this point that we go back and inspect for any flaws in the paintwork. Fix if there are any, then wet sand the entire car down with 600 wet/dry...being very wet. (There goes my Dupont Rep. going into fib. again!) Once we are totally satisfied with the finish at this point we add two more coats of clear. The final coat is allowed to dry at least a week, more if the customer allows us the time. We then re-wet sand in 600 grit followed up with 800 and 1200 wet / dry. Then and only then do we pick up the buffer. Usually three days of buffing and the car is ready for final assembly.

Once assembeled, (we dismantle every car before painting) we then go over it one more time with a very fine coumpond and finally with a glaze to finish it off.

That's it...no big secret really, just a lot of time and effort.
DV

PS I'm bragging, but we did win one of Dupont's very prestigious "Top Gun" awards the first time we entered! And, my Dupont Rep. is still shaking his head. At least he leaves his nitro pills in the car now!

Pss, sorry I forgot to answer one of your questions. Adding more base color will normally not effect your final finish. But, using the right sealer/primers can. It all depends on the color. If you would like a more in-depth answer feel free to e-mail me and I will be glad to write volumes of "how we do it" stuff. The main thing to remember is, "thick paint-multiple layers" is not good paint!

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I'd be glad to try and answer any questions you might have. Especially if you bring one of those toys to "Mid-Ohio". I could certainly sneek out of the shop that long! (Mid-Ohio 1 + hours from here.)
DV

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I know about the paint on Vipers.

The paint manufacturer? That is a company called Azco Nobel.

Base coat/clear coat.

There is no flex agent added to the base coat. Very high quality product, designed to flex.

The clear coat is a 2 part catylized Urethane.

Applied using an HVLP (high volume low pressure) spayer.

* Repainting can be done by wet sanding off all of the clear coat. Apply new base (color) coat and then follow up with clear coat. A wet on wet system. Do not let the color coat cure, before applying the clear coat (just tack up).

BAKe at 160 degrees for one hour (Heat lamp).

Wet sand and polish.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Double Venom:
Chuck,

I'd be glad to try and answer any questions you might have. Especially if you bring one of those toys to "Mid-Ohio". I could certainly sneek out of the shop that long! (Mid-Ohio 1 + hours from here.)
DV

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm planning on it. See you there.

Reaction score
If you want your Viper painted to car-show quality, and don't care about original paint, cantact Jerry Wolfe at (707) 525-3520. His crew painted my 1995 RT/10 to a much "Blacker" black and laid down some silver stripes. The car can be seen at "www.viperproject.com". I haven't lost a show yet, thanks to Jerry & crew!

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperus,

I love quality work! It certainly looks like you found some good guys! It is beautifull. You'd be amazed how hard it is to explain to someone that there "are" different shades of black out there! Do you know the brand of paint they used?

Dupont came out with a new black a few years ago, makes the old black look almost milky.

Again, it's beautifull.
DV

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

......we dismantle every car before painting......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got pictures of the progress on My Viper.... I can vouch for this one
smile.gif

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fella,

You haven't seen nothing yet! Vhat? me Vorry!?

DV

PS Maybe we need to prescribe prozaic with every overall paint job?
smile.gif
This is why surgeons don't allow family members in the operating room!