I thought GenII did not have head gasket problems

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is up with this? I'm looking for what may be heating my engine up. As I accelerate my temp gage goes up as I decelerate the temp gage goes down. I’m loosing water somewhere. Not timing chain cover, Been there, done that... The water is being sucked out and I'm thinking of a cracked head. But could it be these head gaskets? I tear my car down and work on it more than I drive it. Sometimes it scares me.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how much boost ya running ?
the head bolts tight ?

Good questions. 6 1/2 lbs boost.

The head bolts where hard to break loose. They where prety tight.

Take notice to the flaking of the gasket. That is where the gasket is exposed to the motor oil. Just imagine everyones engine is getting this black head gasket material in their engines.

If I ever buy another one of these cars I'm tearing the motor down immediatly.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The early Gen 2's did have head gasket problems. Can't remember what year they changed them, but I am pretty sure 96-98 had the head gasket problems until the revised head gasket came out. (fairly certain on the 96/97, not sure about 98 and 99 could also be included)

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The early Gen 2's did have head gasket problems. Can't remember what year they changed them, but I am pretty sure 96-98 had the head gasket problems until the revised head gasket came out. (fairly certain on the 96/97, not sure about 98 and 99 could also be included)

more info? I never heard this, the gen2's all have MLS gaskets and I never read they had a problem or redisigns. (maybe your thinking of the 96 RTs' that still used the fiber gaskets)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang