Ideas needed for garage renovation

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You lucky guy...living right next to the General Motors Proving Ground. Be nice to those guys, and maybe they will let you on the high speed track (so they can benchmark the target for their nice, but no Viper, Z06.)
Heated garage is wonderful when you wish to wipe down your car after being caught out in one of your suprise Michigan storms.
Heater will make it more comfortable when your neighbors start to hang out in your garage talking cars with the fastest car in the hood.
Consider having a commercial crew epoxy your floor. Paint is cheaper, but takes lots of preparation, and is less durable.
Contact your club president or VCA about suitable posters and pennants to decorate the place.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, here are my suggestions and what I consider "Must Haves" for a Viper garage:

1) Start with a Big One... minimum 3 bays, that way you can build a wall to partition one or two off for your snake. My Ex used to threaten me after a fight by saying she hoped she didn't "accidently bang into the Viper" when she got into her car in the morning... Like I said she's my Ex!

2) A good hydraulic floor lift. I have a Cytech Double Park, but there are quite a few good ones out there. Great investment for the money, and makes working on your car a joy. Also you can raise your car high enough so "somebody" can't accidently bang a door into it... good to know.

3) Jack bridges for the lift and telescoping oil drain/ collector. Use the jack bridges for winter storage when you want the tires off the ground (ramps). The rolling oil drain is a real convenience and assures no oil hits the floor.

4) Epoxy coating. Saves on clean-up time with any spills, protects and looks nice too.

5) Wall or ceiling mounted retractable units for your work light, power cord and air hose. Keeps 'em out of the way and looks alot better than having them laying on the floor or hung on the wall. Plus you always know where there at. Also consider 220 volt service in case you get a large compressor or welding unit.

6) Wash basin. My next garage will have one! Great if you work on your car alot. But be careful where you place it if you don't plan on heating the garage.

7) Tools... lots of 'em. You probably won't need or use half of them, but hey, I don't "need" 700 HP on my Viper either, But.. part of the fun is knowing you've got it!

By the way, I just bought a lot in Milford off Wixom Rd., and plan on building next Spring. Email me if you want to run your car up to Baker's on a Sunday before the bad weather hits.

Good Luck - Richard

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget cabinets. Base, and wall, with a good countertop. My builder showed me a formica sample that looks like carbon fiber. You could also go with stainless.

Eliminate all the clutter by putting it away. Once you have the space to store stuff, you'll find you need more space than you thought. Buy more cabinets than you think you'll need.

Slot wall like in the retail stores looks way better than peg board for hanging tools etc. It can be painted or you can order a laminate finish that cleans up better.

Good luck and enjoy it.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage started out just about like yours.Its a 2 car.First sheetrock walls and ceiling.Then Paint.I painted everything satin white.Everything.doors window frames,shelving etc.Then switch the incandesant bulbs to fluorescent strips.I have assumed that you have adequate outlets before putting up the walls.Next the floor.I put down a tile floor.Not the self sticking kind.I used the glue down vinyl kind.One foot squares.Some areas whith large cracks and spalling were coated with an epoxy/cement layer before you put down a floor.then baseboards.6"x1" pine painted white of course.BTW floor is white with lt blue speckles in it.Then you are pretty much finished.Steps to the house are lt blue indoor/outdoor carpet covered.Add some more shelves & a nicer bench..The car is a Saphire blue gts.Heat.You can use risidual heat.My boiler and water heater are in the garage.With their pipes insulated they throw off enough heat to keep min temp about 50 when its zero outside.Yes the doors are insulated.All you need is a minimum of heat.One small duct going to the garage or a hot water pipe routed through part of the garage.Of course don't forget a dehumidifier for those really humid days.YOu want around 50% humidity.Thats what climate controled garages have.I use a little cigar humidor gague to tell the humidity and temp.Have fun creating your Viper garage.Its worth it.....Lets see,comfortable bench or chairs?radio or stereo unit?fridge?.... Bruce

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another product that is simply amazing, www.ucoatit.com

Call and talk to these people. Straight shooters and they will make sure you know how to do it if you want to do a self installation.

DV

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im building a new house this fall.. How do i get the wife to understand why the viper is in the living room. Oh well, maybe she wont notice.

You must be registered for see images

Great link Double Venom!

bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If interested in an Epoxy floor system I am part of the Thortex America specialty coatings company. Check out our website at WWW.Thortex.com. I have these coatings in our race trailers and they are easy to use. We have the finest coatings in the business and I will offer a discount to any of my fellow Viper members. Email the dimensions of your floor or trailer and I will tell you what you need. Our coatings will retard oil, grease, antifreeze. Just wash the surface with water.

Thortex America
Mike Hartley
856-427-0463

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LARoadster:
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, I LOVE you Avatar! The GenIII RT's got NUTHIN' on the Gen1-2 in the looks dept.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!!!! John, you rank up there with Jerry De Young for my ultimate garage hero!! Jerry may have the edge due to location (Carmel, Cali.) but you have really done yourself proud!! Posts like this give us all something to drool over and strive torward, and provide useful info. I especially like the intake plenum on the wall and the drive-in speakers. Only thing missing is a clear picture of your snake!! Thank you, Oh Garage Master!!
cool.gif

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, spending way too much in my own garage, here are some additions to all the great suggestions above:

1. Tables. Big ones, small ones, and at least one that rolls around.
2. An exhaust fan. I had a 12" inline piped out the roof, too small long story short. I'd recommend using a whole-house fan just in the garage.
3. Phone line/intercom.
4. Really good first-aid kit.
5. Massive floor drain. I've a 14" well drain that's 4 feet deep and empties through a 6" line right into the outbound sewars.
6. Besides a sink and cabinets, a small fridge. That way you don't have to go into the house to get something cold when you're grimey.
7. If you're putting in a heater, put in a thermostat.
8. Source of music.
9. An overhead back or side door. You won't believe the uses you'll find for it.

Lou

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case anyone of you can't decide one which route to go with a garage, I guess I'll allow you to do mine here so you can see what it'll look like when it's finished. Just feel free to drop me a line........Oh, and I won't even charge you for doing it either.

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHECK OUT:

RaceDeck Garage Floor Systems

Here is why
-We offer more styles and choices in garage flooring than anyone world-wide
-We manufacture all of our productline, We are 100% USA made
-No epoxy mess
-Extremely durable, 10-yr warranty
-Manufacture direct to you- +VCA discounts
-This patented productline wa engineered just for the MotorSports industy...

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
droidian,

Checkout my garage for a few different ideas...www.samviper.com, click on Garage either top or bottom of home page.

Quick thoughts.

1. Stay away from the U-Coat-it Epoxy product I notice one of the other guys mentioned it. I have tried to get them to resolve my issues but no luck would not even call me back... One problem after any "Tire", viper, trailer, tool box has sat on the floor for a while you have a permanent tire mark on the floor that is a duller color than my floor.
It scratches very easily. Spider droppings are cutting into the epoxy.
Lot of work to put down use a professional I wish I had now. I have about $2k in the floor and about 3-4 full days of work!!!

Bathroom is very nice - air conditioned and heated
Work room A/C and heat
Full Sound System with TV, CD, FM
Cat- 5 wiring everywhere (pre-wire is the most important have a plan)
Center door is larger than others 12X10
Central Vac they are not expensive if you do up front, put one of the floor/cabinet units so when you sweep it just ***** it away once you step on the switch. Kind of like sweeping under the bed but it is gone!

Built a complete Mother In Law suite above with a Theatre just in case I every get thrown out of the main house.

Let me know if you have any questions after you look at the pictures.