If you don't have one, you NEED a lift!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you don\'t have one, you NEED a lift!

Hello from the frozen fields of Iowa;

I've got to tell you folks how great a purchase a Lift is (Cytech DP-7).

My wife actually THANKED ME for buying it. I no longer worry about my kids possibly banging up my SRT with car doors, etc. My back no longer hurts from cleaning and polishing (cleaning my wheels is actually fun now).

I have enough room to easily park my Audi Allroad under the Viper. Dang, for about 5K I have another whole garage space! In the summer, I can put the Audi up on the lift; or the snow blower, or sleds, or anything else I pay $80 bucks a month to store in a rented storage space (and save having to HAUL IT ALL back and forth every year). I can even put my pontoon fishing boat (on it's own trailer) up on top if I want!

Stop wondering about whether you should add on another garage space and get one of these things! Smartest thing I have done in a long time (besides buying the SRT). Now, the only PROBLEM I have is wondering when I can scrape up enough cash to add ANOTHER Viper.... and another lift ... and another....

If you want to see what it looks like, search for my previous posts on "my new HRE wheels" I posted last month. My garage isn't too fancy, but perhaps you'll get the idea of how it would look in your garage.

For your info, my garage ceiling is only 10' 2" high. I spent about 4K for the lift, and $1,300 on a side-lifting garage door motor (allows you to have the door roller rails lifted to within about 2" of the ceiling (bought me almost two extra feet of height)! I spent a couple hundred extra on electrical stuff like outlets where I wanted em'- you don't have to do that if AC is close).

Another HUGE benefit for where I live: MICE CAN'T GET TO MY VIPER!

You really should look into one of these. My wife NEVER comments on my car stuff (and mess) but she is very happy we bought the lift.

I'm snowbound again... AAAAaaargh.

Jim

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: If you don\'t have one, you NEED a lift!

CONGRATS on the Cytech...we LOVE ours...and cannot say enough good things about the actual lift, the folks that made it, or the installation...FIRST CLASS solution to OUR needs !!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My current ceiling is a little over 12 feet. That allows me to have the hoist at the full up position and still open the garage door. To do that I had another panel added to the door and raised the track about 27 inches. No special low clearance hardware or opener mounting was necessary.

With my hoist at full lift I have about 12 inches between lower car (SRT) and the hoist bottom. At that point I have about 6 inches from the top car (RT/10) to the garage door opener. And the garage door opener is about 1 foot below the ceiling (to its bottom).

What I think this translates into is a 10 foot ceiling should be adequate if a low clearance track and side mounted opener is used.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had a Cytech DP7 since 1996. It is great! No problems. Watch out for the Perfect Park. One failed with a Corvette on it (see prior posts).

Best regards,

Frank

OP
OP
J

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sam;

As I mentioned in my original post, my garage ceiling height is only 10',2". I can park my Audi Allroad under the SRT!

This was accomplished because I spent the extra dollars for the "side-lift" motor, which gets rid of the typical lift motor that hangs from a bracket on the center of the ceiling of the door that it lifts. Get rid of the motor you have, lose that big metal chain guide and GAIN about 1,1/2 feet of height.

The gear driven side-lift motor is about $1,200. This is a bargain when you consider what it would cost to raise your ceiling. Buy the lift, buy this side motor, have your rails raised as far as they can, and voila', you have an extra garage space for about $5 grand.

Don't forget the safety benefit of getting your car up, and out of the way of kids, car doors, and MICE!

The side-lift motor is a "must have" for low ceilings, and worth every penny!

Jim

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

...and my poor garage ceiling is only 103 inches high...can put GTS on top, and RT/10 below...and still have necessary clearance....THANKS for the custom design, Cytech !!!

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, there is a new garage door opener available that works on the spring rod, mounts above the garage door header, and only costs around $300.00. This unit should accomplish the same thing as the side lift unit. I would have all the particulars, but evidently my wife tossed out the page from the Menards ad last week that I was saving. If it's in again this week, I will update with the manufacturer's name and exact advertised price.

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lift

I have a www.backyardbuddy.com. It works well. As for the garage opener questions, mine is a coil spring, the opener is mounted almost flush to the roof. Works great.

Roy

You must be registered for see images

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Lift

Since we're all showing our lifts...

:usa:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Lift

Don't know as it has been a long time since Michigan encountered on of note. But I will say that when mine is at full height I can push-pull at the hoist and only get a wiggle out of it. If I was in a earthquake area I would probably bolt it to the floor. The floor pads have bolt holes pre-drilled.

BTW my lift is a Stinger, a brand I have not heard much about on this site. Quite durable with large corner posts and internal hardware. The lifts like the backyard buddy with the external slider look like they would be terribly dirty and greasy with time. On mine all the moving parts and lubrication is inside the posts.

Still don't know how to post pics so can't show what it looks like. :confused:

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I could see having a lift to work on a Viper, but I would not have one to stack a Viper. I don't trust that one bit for earthquake territory, nor for the off chance that the unexpected might happen, resulting in a dropped Viper. Were this to happen, the outcome would not be good.
-Daffy
P.S. What model of lift is your blue one, Ron? I've never seen that type. Looks like a handy thing to have around.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The backyard buddy does not have grease along the outer pole. It has teflon (I think) slider blocks between the pole and sleeve and slides very smoothly. Nothing to get dirty.

198Lift2.jpg

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fred, I am catching up to you! I too wonder about stackers and earthquake country....

Tomer

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Finally figured out how to post a picture. Some of us (me) need to be taken through the steps one by one. This picture is of my lift and garage door setup. Allows the lift to go to full height and the door to be opened while the car is at full height. At full height there is enough room for almost any car underneath. You can see that an extra panel has been added to the door and the track raised a considerable amount. The other door is at the normal position. May raise it later as it cleans up the garage by raising the door hardware above the normal field of view.
225dsc04593_800x-med.jpg

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Finally figured out how to post a picture. Some of us (me) need to be taken through the steps one by one. This picture is of my lift and garage door setup. Allows the lift to go to full height and the door to be opened while the car is at full height. At full height there is enough room for almost any car underneath. You can see that an extra panel has been added to the door and the track raised a considerable amount. The other door is at the normal position. May raise it later as it cleans up the garage by raising the door hardware above the normal field of view.

You mean you finaly figured out how to post HALF a picture. Heh-heh-heh. :)
-Daffy