If you've ever doubted the effectiveness of claybar, check this out!!!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you\'ve ever doubted the effectiveness of claybar, check this out!!!

I *FINALLY* got to spend some time detailing the new car today. I washed it with Meguiars soap, dried it, detailed the engine bay, and then I broke out the Meguiars claybar. Now keep in mind this car came from an Exotic car dealer in south Florida just two weeks ago. They fully detailed the car (so they say) before it was delivered. My car was the cheapest on the lot by almost $40K, everything else was a Lambo/Bently/Aston. These guys know what a clean car looks like.

So here is the claybar prior to starting on the car, nothing special, nice and white and ready to go:
You must be registered for see images

Now, here is the claybar after working a SINGLE 6"x18" section of the roof:

The paint had so much crap on it that even with LOTS of lubrication (I used Meguiars detail spray), the clay had a tough time sliding. It sounded horrible as I pushed it across the paint, but as I worked the clay back and forth, I could feel/hear the contaminants coming off into the clay. Once the clay ran silently/smoothly across the paint, I wiped the surface clean and moved on to a new section. This was on freshly washed paint, so none of what you see in the second picture is accumulation from driving, etc. that could be removed with soap.

If you've ever doubted the ability of claybar...don't. My car looks 1000 times better after this process. Now I have to get the porter cable and a mild polish on it because this cars paint was so abused. It's got swirls/scratches everywhere.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: If you\'ve ever doubted the effectiveness of claybar, check this out!!!

I have always wondered about the clay bar and what it really does to the paint.
Do you think the clay bar added to the swirls? Post some pics of area's before
and after, it would be nice to see the difference.

Tom

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have always wondered about the clay bar and what it really does to the paint.
Do you think the clay bar added to the swirls? Post some pics of area's before
and after, it would be nice to see the difference.

Tom

My wife had a 2000 black 911. I clay bar'ed the whole thing with plenty of lube. It put fine scratches over all of the car. I had to use a real buffer and work down from there to get it back ok. I have been scared to clay bar anything since then. Sometimes I have flashbacks just taking a shower with a bar of soap :laugh:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have clayed my car also but I have always wondered something. If the bar picks up small crap & then its dragged accross the car, isn't it scratching the rest of the paint? Kind of like sand paper?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im lucky in that i have a silver car that makes it harder to see things in my paint. the clay bar DOES make it a lot smoother but i always wondered what it would do to a black car. TONY answered my question i guess

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep in mind you are also removing the old wax that was built up on the paint, that will cause scratches that were previously hidden to reappear.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im lucky in that i have a silver car that makes it harder to see things in my paint. the clay bar DOES make it a lot smoother but i always wondered what it would do to a black car. TONY answered my question i guess

I had a 2000 GTS Black, and when I first got it the paint was perfect, after a few month's, I decided to claybar the car. LEt me tell when I got done It looked like [******]. Sure the paint was as smooth as a baby's but, but I could tons of fine scratches. I ended up taking it to my neighbors detail shop and they got her looking brand new again. I would never claybar my car again .02

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well my car looks like **** without the claybar so I have nothing to lose by experimenting. It has nicks, scratches, swirls, household paint spray (don't ask), bug pits, tar, gravel pits, ahhhhh!

I am way overdue for a cleanup on my baby, yeah, about 2 years overdue.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Did you really use the detail spray as a lubricant? Soapy water in a spray bottle is what I used last time I clayed using the Zaino kit.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Claybar will work miracles on a heavily oxidated car. I used it on a Viper that was not cared for and the results were amazing. Just make sure you keep stretching and folding the bar to expose clean clay as you go.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Claybar is really meant to be a first step in the restorative process for damaged/aged/dirty paint. You can see how much garbage was on the paint. That stuff wasn't coming off any other way. Now that I have a clean paint surface to work with, I can get out the random-orbital polisher and a mild cutting agent to knock out some of the deeper scratches, then move to a mild swirl remover, then to a good polish. The claybar should ALWAYS be used in straight lines (you'd be insane to slide that thing around in circles).

The trick with the clay is to knead it frequently. This traps the debris in the clay and keeps it off the surface of the paint. I changed to a new piece of clay 3 times during this process to be safe.

If you use it properly, clay-bar is safe to use, but it's not one of those things you use "just because". It has a specific purpose and shouldn't be used for general detailing, IMO.

I didn't get any good pictures of the paints surface before the claybar, but I'll tell you that I can FEEL the difference in the paint, so I know it's reflective properties have improved. Any micro-scratches that result will be removed with polish, so those are a non-issue.

ROCKET62, yes I absolutely used the detail spray. It's got just enough viscosity to keep the clay from sticking, but not so much that it makes the clay ride over the dirt. I've used soapy water too, and it works just fine. The reason I used detail spray is because I did this at around 3:00 AM and didn't have the ability to wash the car immediately afterwards. The detail spray wipes off. Soapy water would not. Either one works well (soapy water is certainly cheaper. ;) )

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you really use the detail spray as a lubricant? Soapy water in a spray bottle is what I used last time I clayed using the Zaino kit.

Soapy water will break down a clay bar too soon.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

My wife had a 2000 black 911. I clay bar'ed the whole thing with plenty of lube. It put fine scratches over all of the car. I had to use a real buffer and work down from there to get it back ok. I have been scared to clay bar anything since then. Sometimes I have flashbacks just taking a shower with a bar of soap :laugh:

You'll have to get treated with the Porter cable to get the scratches out.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KCOBEAN - that is a ton of contamination on that bar. Now that it is done, I am sure that you have a smooth job. For others, if you start to get too much contamination, change to a second bar, or a third as KCOBEAN did. Meguiar's kits come with 2 bars. You will have to buy two kits if you have a bad surface on the car.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just bought some detail products from Adamspolishes.com. They had a special running for two microfiber towels, 16oz bottle of detail spray, 4oz bottle of detail spray, and a DVD detailing instructional video.

The DVD is a great tool. It shows you a step-by-step process of the right way to detail a car from top to bottom, including using a claybar. I think he used detail spray in conjunction with the clay bar, but I am not entirely sure. The DVD was done by the owner of Adamspolishes.com, I thought it was done in a very detailed and wonderful manner.

Their products seem top notch as well.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Soapy water will break down a clay bar too soon.

I know that most detail sprays are water based, but I can't beleive they would offer the lubrication required - especially the way he described it being hard to clay bar.

Just following the directions from Zaino.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Before using a Z-18 ClayBar™ on your car, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant. Do not risk scratching your car; if you drop your clay bar, throw it away!

To use Z-18 ClayBar™, you spray a water-based lubricant on a small area of your car and rub the bar back and forth with light to medium pressure. If the lubricant begins to dry, you'll need to spray more. Z-18 is fairly sticky, and cannot be used dry. If you try using it dry, you'll make a big mess. We suggest mixing one cap full of Z-7 Show Car Wash with water in a 16 ounce spray bottle. Z-6 also works as a lubricant for Z-18 ClayBar, but Z-7 Show Car Wash is much more cost effective.

After a few passes with the Z-18 ClayBar™, rub your hand over the area to feel if the surface contamination was removed. Keep rubbing until all contamination bumps are gone. Finally, wipe the clay residue off with a soft terrycloth towel, and buff to a nice luster. Just like polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish, work in small areas.

Check your Z-18 ClayBar frequently for hard particles. When found, pick them off. Make it a habit to occasionally knead and reform the bar so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts your car's paint. If you drop your bar of clay on the ground, it's history. Toss it out. Don't take any chances, discard the clay bar if it becomes impregnated with grit.

Do not overuse. A single bar will do 3-4 medium size cars with moderate contamination. If you are removing heavy overspray or rail dust, use the bar once and throw it away.

When you're finished claying your car, you should wash it with Z-7 Show Car Wash to remove the lubricant film. Finally, seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes, Z-3 Show Car Polish for Non-clear Coated Paint, or Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know that most detail sprays are water based, but I can't beleive they would offer the lubrication required - especially the way he described it being hard to clay bar.

The Meguiars kit includes the claybar and a bottle of Meguiars quick detail spray. The Mothers product that I used on my 350Z was the same way. The detail spray is slightly viscous, so it offers the necessary lubrication without being so thick as to cause the clay to ride above the surface contamination instead of removing it. If you spray a little on your finger and then rub your fingers together, then do the same thing with the soapy water mixture, you can tell they are about the same.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you 100%! Here's a pic of my '01 Yellow RT/10 after the Clay/Polish/Wax rite of passage:

I'll post some hi-res pics later in the week.

I noticed minor swirls and scratches starting to appear as I washed my Viper week after week. I know I wasn't putting them in as I have a religious wash routine. So I decided to undertake the Claybar/Polish/Wax regimine I've read about on these forums, here's what I did:

(1.) Clean and I mean CLEAN the car before doing anything with Clay, Polish or Wax. I use Griot's car wash at full-strength to help strip off any remaining wax on the car. I'm also one of those fanatics that will use a leaf-blower to dry the car. I will never use a towel to dry my car. My neighbors get a kick out of watching me blow-dry my car.

(2.) Now that the car is clean, it's time to Claybar. I used Griot's Claybar and Speedshine kit. I've had great success with these products on my BMW's and the Clay is as pure as it gets. This is not a poly-clay and it leaves no residue behind. Speedshine makes the surface super-slick so that the clay can glide across easily. Tips:

- Constantly "work" the clay as you use it. 1/3 of the bar will do the entire car twice. Keep folding it, lubricating as you use it. If it becomes too dirty, throw it out and rip off another piece.
- If for some reason your clay picks up small pebbles, like the ones caught on under side sill gills, pick them out of the clay or throw the bar our.
- If you drop it on the floor, throw it out. I take no chances because once the bar gets dirt or tiny specs of rock in it then it's scratch galore.

(3.) Repeat the claybar routine until the surfaces becomes super smooth. It does not take much, only a few passes across the panel. I had tiny black specs on some of the panels that required me to work the clay a little harder in those areas but overall I can clay the car in about 1/2 hour. When you're done with the claybar routine, wash your car again to remove any lubricant or residue left over from the clay.

(4.) Now you have a clean paint in front of you. How does it look under sunlight and/or flourescent lighting? This will show you how bad your swirls, spider-webbing or scratches really are. If you can't find any. move to Step #6. Otherwise, proceed to #5.

(5.) Removing Swirls/Scratches. I'm not content with hiding these with wax or fillers. They barely do the job and a poor one at that. In order to remove them, you'll need a random orbital, such as the PC7424 and polish or compound. A compound is generally much more abrasive than a plosh. It can leave behind swirls and a dull finish. Do your research when selecting a compound. I've tried many different compounds/polishes out there and settled on the following:

- 3M Fine Cut Rubbing compound for deep scratches, swirls or oxidation. This stuff works great on Vipers. Orange or Yellow compounding pads.
- 3M Perfect-it Swirl Mark Remover for Light Color Cars. They make one for dark cars too. This is a medium polish to remove finer swirls and scratches but leaves behind a beautiful glossy finish. Yellow compounding pads.
- 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. This glaze will leave behind an incredible shine.

I've tried Griot's polishes, Machine Polish 1 - 4. While they work great on my BMW, they did absolutely NOTHING on the Viper's paint. I don't know if it's just my car, but my yellow paint is the toughest I've ever seen. 3M worked really well on it while Griot's did nothing.

The trick to removing swirls and scratches with the PC is heat and pressure. Using the 3M compound and Orange compound pad, I set the speed dial at 4K RPM and with a quarter size amount of the compound, I work it into the area. I'll lean into the PC until it almost comes to a stop so that that pad generated heat. Heat in conjucntion with random orbital's motion removes swirls and scratches. I've had great success with the 3M products. Only took me 1-2 passes over an area to get the job done. You CANNOT mess up your paint with the PC. At least I didn't. Unless you have a dirty pad it's very difficult to create scratches or swirls with the PC.

The 3M fine cut compound may leave the area a little dull. No problem, just follow up with the swirl mark remover and it will leave a slick, glossy finish. Then I follow up with an application of imperial hand glaze. This car is shimmering at this point. I am truly impressed with the 3M products.

(6.) Waxing. Now you're ready for the best part. I've read countless articles on Wax here on the forums, (Meguiar's, Pinnacle, Griots, Adams, etc). I've come to the conclusion that this is a religion. I've tried many but I've settled on Pinnacle's waxes in conjunction with Griot's. Again, this is my personal preference but I've found Pinnacle's waxes give the deepest shine out there and with multiple layers I can go 6 months or more without having to reapply. My wax routine consists of the following:

Right after polishing, which I'll do maybe every 2 years or so, your paint finish is vulnerable. You can move right to waxing but I decided to seal the paint with Griot's Paint Sealant. This gives it a durable, long-lasting foundation of protection and a nice shine. I've used this on my daily driven vehicles and a single coat can last up to a year. I only do this if I've polished the car. With Griot's paint sealant, you can stop here but I'm looking for that deep, 3D-shine which you can only get with layering many coats of wax.

Using alternate layers of Pinnacle Souverign Liquid Wax and Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray, (I found this technique on the forum) it will give a deep, wet look even on a yellow Viper. It made a world of difference on my car. I apply coats using the PC and a red wax pad. When I say coats, I mean many coats of wax. Right now, I'm up to 12 coats of wax on my way to 20. Applying wax is the easiest thing to do. A small amount of wax, like a quarter-sized amount, goes a long way. The key is to apply a small, thin layers. Let it haze and buff dry. Less is more. It takes me about 20 minutes to apply a layer of Pinnacle wax. It goes on easy and comes off even easier.

Between coats I'll take a white polishing pad and go over the entire car with it. This helps create a sparkling shine and removes any left-over wax I may have missed during buffing.

For the remaining 3-5 coats of wax, I'll use Crystal Mist and Pinnacle Souverign Paste Wax. The paste wax is a bit expensive but the shine it delivers is outstanding, even on a light colored car like my Viper. My pic above at the 12 coats stage. I'll post pics once I'm done this week.

(7.) Maintenance. I use califorina dusters to dust the car before and after I take it out. In between car washes, which I found myself doing a lot less often, I'll use Griot's Speedshine to remove any dirt I may find on the car. This stuff is super slick and when used with clean 100% cotton towls or microfiber towls, leave behind a swirl-free, slick finish. Before I take the car out, I'll go over it with Crystal Mist. In 10min, the car looks like it just got a coat of souverign past wax. I don't need to do this, but I want that eye-blinding shine and crystal mist helps prolong the souvreign wax.

That's it. It sounds a lot more intense than it actually is. It took me 2 weeks, an hour or two a night, to perform the polishing step. I could've done the polishing in one weekend if I had the time. I made a workout out of it. We've had some hot and humid weather here in CT over the last two months and I sweat my ass off polishing in the garage. I dropped 10 pounds during this process. My wife even found me polishing the car in the garage at 2am a few times!!! I found this to be very therapeudic.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love how smooooooth the finish feels after claying.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here is a pic of the result of my first and last attempt at using a claybar. It wasn't this bad right afterwards but after all the scratches it induced I just didn't polish and wax it. One of these days I will sand it down and repaint it. I'm actually pretty good with a can of spray paint, from my old motorcycle days. Yes, I need to mow the grass and edge the walkway, too. :)

Also, I've been to or called 4-5 auto detailers the last few days, looking for someone who I feel would do a white glove detailing job on my black Viper. None of them say they ever use a claybar unless it is to remove overspray.

You must be registered for see images attach

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

I agree with you 100%! Here's a pic of my '01 Yellow RT/10 after the Clay/Polish/Wax rite of passage:

I'll post some hi-res pics later in the week.

I noticed minor swirls and scratches starting to appear as I washed my Viper week after week. I know I wasn't putting them in as I have a religious wash routine. So I decided to undertake the Claybar/Polish/Wax regimine I've read about on these forums, here's what I did:

(1.) Clean and I mean CLEAN the car before doing anything with Clay, Polish or Wax. I use Griot's car wash at full-strength to help strip off any remaining wax on the car. I'm also one of those fanatics that will use a leaf-blower to dry the car. I will never use a towel to dry my car. My neighbors get a kick out of watching me blow-dry my car.

(2.) Now that the car is clean, it's time to Claybar. I used Griot's Claybar and Speedshine kit. I've had great success with these products on my BMW's and the Clay is as pure as it gets. This is not a poly-clay and it leaves no residue behind. Speedshine makes the surface super-slick so that the clay can glide across easily. Tips:

- Constantly "work" the clay as you use it. 1/3 of the bar will do the entire car twice. Keep folding it, lubricating as you use it. If it becomes too dirty, throw it out and rip off another piece.
- If for some reason your clay picks up small pebbles, like the ones caught on under side sill gills, pick them out of the clay or throw the bar our.
- If you drop it on the floor, throw it out. I take no chances because once the bar gets dirt or tiny specs of rock in it then it's scratch galore.

(3.) Repeat the claybar routine until the surfaces becomes super smooth. It does not take much, only a few passes across the panel. I had tiny black specs on some of the panels that required me to work the clay a little harder in those areas but overall I can clay the car in about 1/2 hour. When you're done with the claybar routine, wash your car again to remove any lubricant or residue left over from the clay.

(4.) Now you have a clean paint in front of you. How does it look under sunlight and/or flourescent lighting? This will show you how bad your swirls, spider-webbing or scratches really are. If you can't find any. move to Step #6. Otherwise, proceed to #5.

(5.) Removing Swirls/Scratches. I'm not content with hiding these with wax or fillers. They barely do the job and a poor one at that. In order to remove them, you'll need a random orbital, such as the PC7424 and polish or compound. A compound is generally much more abrasive than a plosh. It can leave behind swirls and a dull finish. Do your research when selecting a compound. I've tried many different compounds/polishes out there and settled on the following:

- 3M Fine Cut Rubbing compound for deep scratches, swirls or oxidation. This stuff works great on Vipers. Orange or Yellow compounding pads.
- 3M Perfect-it Swirl Mark Remover for Light Color Cars. They make one for dark cars too. This is a medium polish to remove finer swirls and scratches but leaves behind a beautiful glossy finish. Yellow compounding pads.
- 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. This glaze will leave behind an incredible shine.

I've tried Griot's polishes, Machine Polish 1 - 4. While they work great on my BMW, they did absolutely NOTHING on the Viper's paint. I don't know if it's just my car, but my yellow paint is the toughest I've ever seen. 3M worked really well on it while Griot's did nothing.

The trick to removing swirls and scratches with the PC is heat and pressure. Using the 3M compound and Orange compound pad, I set the speed dial at 4K RPM and with a quarter size amount of the compound, I work it into the area. I'll lean into the PC until it almost comes to a stop so that that pad generated heat. Heat in conjucntion with random orbital's motion removes swirls and scratches. I've had great success with the 3M products. Only took me 1-2 passes over an area to get the job done. You CANNOT mess up your paint with the PC. At least I didn't. Unless you have a dirty pad it's very difficult to create scratches or swirls with the PC.

The 3M fine cut compound may leave the area a little dull. No problem, just follow up with the swirl mark remover and it will leave a slick, glossy finish. Then I follow up with an application of imperial hand glaze. This car is shimmering at this point. I am truly impressed with the 3M products.

(6.) Waxing. Now you're ready for the best part. I've read countless articles on Wax here on the forums, (Meguiar's, Pinnacle, Griots, Adams, etc). I've come to the conclusion that this is a religion. I've tried many but I've settled on Pinnacle's waxes in conjunction with Griot's. Again, this is my personal preference but I've found Pinnacle's waxes give the deepest shine out there and with multiple layers I can go 6 months or more without having to reapply. My wax routine consists of the following:

Right after polishing, which I'll do maybe every 2 years or so, your paint finish is vulnerable. You can move right to waxing but I decided to seal the paint with Griot's Paint Sealant. This gives it a durable, long-lasting foundation of protection and a nice shine. I've used this on my daily driven vehicles and a single coat can last up to a year. I only do this if I've polished the car. With Griot's paint sealant, you can stop here but I'm looking for that deep, 3D-shine which you can only get with layering many coats of wax.

Using alternate layers of Pinnacle Souverign Liquid Wax and Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray, (I found this technique on the forum) it will give a deep, wet look even on a yellow Viper. It made a world of difference on my car. I apply coats using the PC and a red wax pad. When I say coats, I mean many coats of wax. Right now, I'm up to 12 coats of wax on my way to 20. Applying wax is the easiest thing to do. A small amount of wax, like a quarter-sized amount, goes a long way. The key is to apply a small, thin layers. Let it haze and buff dry. Less is more. It takes me about 20 minutes to apply a layer of Pinnacle wax. It goes on easy and comes off even easier.

Between coats I'll take a white polishing pad and go over the entire car with it. This helps create a sparkling shine and removes any left-over wax I may have missed during buffing.

For the remaining 3-5 coats of wax, I'll use Crystal Mist and Pinnacle Souverign Paste Wax. The paste wax is a bit expensive but the shine it delivers is outstanding, even on a light colored car like my Viper. My pic above at the 12 coats stage. I'll post pics once I'm done this week.

(7.) Maintenance. I use califorina dusters to dust the car before and after I take it out. In between car washes, which I found myself doing a lot less often, I'll use Griot's Speedshine to remove any dirt I may find on the car. This stuff is super slick and when used with clean 100% cotton towls or microfiber towls, leave behind a swirl-free, slick finish. Before I take the car out, I'll go over it with Crystal Mist. In 10min, the car looks like it just got a coat of souverign past wax. I don't need to do this, but I want that eye-blinding shine and crystal mist helps prolong the souvreign wax.

That's it. It sounds a lot more intense than it actually is. It took me 2 weeks, an hour or two a night, to perform the polishing step. I could've done the polishing in one weekend if I had the time. I made a workout out of it. We've had some hot and humid weather here in CT over the last two months and I sweat my ass off polishing in the garage. I dropped 10 pounds during this process. My wife even found me polishing the car in the garage at 2am a few times!!! I found this to be very therapeudic.

Sorry, but do you know the definition of obsessive? Man...life is too short for all that. F the paint...drive the car! :D

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is a pic of the result of my first and last attempt at using a claybar. It wasn't this bad right afterwards but after all the scratches it induced I just didn't polish and wax it. One of these days I will sand it down and repaint it. I'm actually pretty good with a can of spray paint, from my old motorcycle days. Yes, I need to mow the grass and edge the walkway, too. :)

Also, I've been to or called 4-5 auto detailers the last few days, looking for someone who I feel would do a white glove detailing job on my black Viper. None of them say they ever use a claybar unless it is to remove overspray.

The spoiler on my daily driver is doing similar to this. I seriously doubt claybar is responsible for all that (unless you used it improperly).

There are many contaminants that can stick to the surface of your paint. As an example, when I first got my 350Z, I clay-barred it because I had heard that cars tend to pick up lots of rail-dust from being transported on trains and such (true or not, I don't know). I washed the car thoroughly and then clayed it and the stuff that came off that paint was amazing. It's really difficult to get the really little "stuck on" contaminants with anything else. I believe it was mostly overspray on my car in the pictures above. Why it's brown I have no idea, but clay is the only way that stuff was coming off.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was just at a Meguiars event where we clayed many, many cars. Clay will not do that. That is clear coat failure.

You should search around in this forum to learn more.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14401

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Newport Viper is exactly right. The clear coat failed and became rough. The claybar did not help any.

Similar paint failures can be seen in 88 to 91 plastic rear wings of Firebirds. Water layed on the surface of the wing, the sunlight heated the water, causing the clear coat to crack. It became a rough surface.

The claybar is an abrasive and started to take off the clear coat when applied. The clear coat was already shot, however.

Requires a repaint. No fixing that one.

PS, thanks for the great post above Spanker.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use the Zaino claybars with a car wash-water mixture in one of those pump-up atomizers from Home Depot. My clay holds together just fine. Maybe different make clays break down differently?

I have a dark blue Excursion that I clay regularly...I have induced no scratches, swirls of the like. You look at the reflection of the sun and see no hazing...no cobwebs, etc. In fact, I ordered that truck and took delivery the day it arrived. When clayed and Zainoed the following weeked..the amount of rail dust, etc on the clay was amazing.

It's very important that the surface is as clean as possible and that you kneed the clay to a clean spot regularly. It is all important to remember that there are different abrasive levels of clays.

As far as the Contour's wing in concerned...as said above...that has nothing to do with clay.

It is possible that the scratches folks are seeing after claying are likely due to the clay cleaning off the oils and such left behind by some waxes and glazes that hide those defects.