IL to outlaw cat back exhausts...

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are trying to ban aftermarket exhausts by failing you at your emmisions test.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=2221&GAID=8&GA=94&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=17013&SessionID=50

Take some action and contact your state representatives and oppose this crap. I did it, it takes about 30 seconds. Use this link, http://www.semasan.com/san/ContactYourLegislator.aspx to find out who represents you. Call them up and tell them that you want to voice your opposition for HB2221. Thats all you need to do.

OP
OP
R

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
" Deletes everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that a vehicle automatically fails the emission inspection required under the Code if it is equipped with a muffler or exhaust system that has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle above the noise of the muffler or exhaust system originally installed in the vehicle.

House Amendment No. 3
Deletes everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that a vehicle automatically fails the emission inspection required under the Code if, based on visual observation, it is equipped with a muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they do that, then they better go after all of the "Harley" bikes. If they say they are o.k., because they came that way from the factory, then they should just go by decibels period. Then there can be no exhaust louder than ??? If you have an exhaust like Corsa, you would pass. As long as they ramp up slowly when checking the decibels at certain RPM's. Harleys would not pass at idle.. I'm only comparing, because I think if you complain loud enough, and group the Harleys in there, then the legislators will back off.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looks to me as if the provision either is aimed solely at ricer kazoos, or is just poorly drafted.

"clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle"

suggest that intent of the modification, not the unintended result, must have been to increase the noise level in order for the modification to fall under the provision. The intent of my exhaust mods was power gain; the resulting noise increase was incidental. I suppose the state could argue a constructive or deemed intent on my part, given that I knew that a noise increase would result and proceeded with the mod anyway, but I think I would have the better argument.

Remember, cat-backs are a performance mod; the noise change is incidental (even if it does sound better).

Do you guys have a lot of ricer kazoos in IL? The suggested provision really seems aimed at them to me. In any event, you could always have your viper tech do your inspection, since is seems enforcement would be largely discretionary.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically, this should be addressed at the next Viper General Meeting (Car Boutique in Schaumburg June 1st and sent to all of the other auto enthusiast boards. I'd like reiterate that this is important that we get this resolved now before they start looking on the other side of the catalytic converters! If you belong to any other Car forums please spread the word so as to prevent this measure from being passed.

Thanks Rob for posting this!

Jay K.

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You better move across the border!

Indiana rules!! :D

Or move to Kendall county, where they don't do testing. Of course, that may change as the population out here explodes. Still, that piece of legislation ***** a$$.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet other than what you've done already would be to contact SEMA. SEMA does more to protect the rights of car enthusiasts and manufacturers than any other organization.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much do you pay for your license plates, Casey?

I just renewed them until July of 2006 and it cost me $260.

Just the regular plates, they screwed me on the Vanity plate, which is normally $40 more.

And sales tax here is 6%, which was just raised from 5% a couple years ago.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand your Harley point, however they are not "loud" from the factory. Loud being all relative but I think you would be surprised at the sound from a stock Harley.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You better move across the border!

Or move to Kendall county, where they don't do testing. Of course, that may change as the population out here explodes. Still, that piece of legislation ***** a$$.

Same setup about 15 minutes from Valpo. No emissions! That would be AEM! Damn, the government! :p

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Illinois the state that executed a dozen or so innocent inmates and like most states has a revolving door for the real criminals?

But hey, lets worry about the important stuff first - that .01% of the population that modifies exhaust.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Illinois the state that executed a dozen or so innocent inmates and like most states has a revolving door for the real criminals?

But hey, lets worry about the important stuff first - that .01% of the population that modifies exhaust.

LOL

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Provides that a vehicle automatically fails the emission inspection required under the Code if it is equipped with a muffler or exhaust system that has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle above the noise of the muffler or exhaust system originally installed in the vehicle."

Sounds unenforcable to me unless they require the installation of decibel meters along with the emissions testers.

Another good reason not to toss that stock exhaust system, what happens in one jurisdiction too often becomes nationwide.

OP
OP
R

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yep, that's us! Oh and wait we just raised all the tolls too, unless of course you buy one of their iPass modules. Then they will ticket you (later on in a yr or two) once your timed from toll booth to toll booth from the ipass.

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say we protest!

let's drive down to Springfield and see what they say to 10,000 catless vipers with 3" exhausts backed up to their front door pinned at 6250!!! Oh wait, we wouldn't be able to hear them... Why don't the a$$holes pick on the 135dB ghetto cruisers that you can hear thumping from 10 miles away!!! Oh wait, that would mean that they'd actually be helping someone prevent hearing loss!!! We can't have that because it would make to much sense. Yup, Illinois definitely has it's head up it's a$$!!! Perhaps that's why their targeting the rear of the car, it's a part of the anatomy their used to spending alot of time around!!! ******$!!!

OK I'll stop incessant rambling! I'm gonna go have a drink!

~Matt~

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the SEMA Action Network.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE: IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED)

Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Passes House, Moves to Senate

A bill (H.B. 2221) to ban vehicles equipped with a “muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle” was quickly passed last night by the Illinois House on a 61-55 vote and is gaining momentum in the Senate. Under the bill, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a “visual observation” will fail emissions inspection. The Legislature will adjourn for the year on Tuesday, May 31st leaving a short time to complete action in the Senate. The bill is being sponsored in the Senate by James Clayborne, Jr. ([email protected])

Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call, Fax or E-Mail Senate sponsor James Clayborne, Jr. (Contact Information Attached) Immediately to Oppose H.B. 2221

H.B. 2221 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.
H.B. 2221 does not supply emissions inspectors with a clear standard to enforce (e.g. decibel limit under a sound test procedure), allowing them to make subjective judgments based on “visual observations” on whether or not a modified exhaust system increases noise.
H.B. 2221 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
H.B. 2221 would make it impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.
Call, fax or e-mail Senator Clayborne immediately to oppose H.B. 2221. This bill unfairly tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Illinois.

Senator James F. Clayborne, Jr.
(Phone) 217/782-5399
(Fax) 217/782-5340
[email protected]

We should all call and/or write this ****. I like Matt's idea the best.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Provides that a vehicle automatically fails the emission inspection required under the Code if it is equipped with a muffler or exhaust system that has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle above the noise of the muffler or exhaust system originally installed in the vehicle. >>

This needs rewritten. This means that EVERY hot rod would fail. What if you have a 32 ford coupe hot rod? i guarantee you that the exhaust will not be "originally installed in the vehicle". In this language, this could include every hot rod, street rod, harley, race car, go cart, etc.

I guess it is comforting to know that the under-funded school problems are solved, all our roads and bridges are in perfect shape, crime has been totally eliminated, and the state budget has been balanced.

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, I wrote my State Senator and Senator Clayborne to inform them of my displeasure with this ridiculous piece of legislation. I urge all Illinois Viper owners and fellow car enthusiasts to write also. If this bill passes the Illinois state Senate and becomes law, it could easily happen every state. :confused:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Rob,

Would you kindly bring this up at tomorrow's General Meeting? I'll try to be there.

Jay K.

ScottB7133

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good News...... :)

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (FINAL UPDATE)
Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Dies for the Year as Legislative Session Adjourns
The SEMA Action Network stalled final action on Illinois legislation (H.B. 2221) that threatened to ban vehicles equipped with a “muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle.” The bill had been quickly passed by the House in the final days of the legislative session, before being stopped by the SAN in the Senate. Under the measure, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a “visual observation” would have failed emissions inspection. How emissions inspectors would have determined that an exhaust system increases noise by virtue of a “visual inspection” was not explained in the bill.

H.B. 2221 ignored the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

H.B. 2221 did not supply emissions inspectors with a clear standard to enforce (e.g. decibel limit under a sound test procedure), allowing them to make subjective judgments based on “visual observations” on whether or not a modified exhaust system increases noise.

H.B. 2221 failed to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

H.B. 2221 would have made it impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

On behalf of the SAN, thank you for responding to our call to action and contacting Illinois lawmakers to request opposition to this bill.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61938