I'm a 2007 Z06 owner & I want a Viper.....

1DOWN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m a 2007 Z06 owner & I want a Viper.....

Greetings everyone, my name is Goldie DeWitt and I own a 2007 Z06 Corvette. I come to this forum for some help & advice. I've beenb a Vette lover my whole life and I've owned the Z06 model since 2004. I can say from the time I've owned my Vette, I can not compliment the majority of the Vette owners out there. They seem to be some older nerdy stuck up acting dudes and some of them seem a bitter that Im a young black man in a new Z06. Maybe its just where I live, but Im sick of it. I'm to the point where I don't even do the "vette wave" anymore when I see another vette driver, I even keep my tinted windows rolled up and I pass them with aggression like "Fu@k you, stuck up bastard". I know I can do this because my 2007 Z06 is not stock and I have some cool mods to back it up! Over the past few weeks I've been turning my back on the Vette and looking at the 2006 Viper. The newest body style coupe 2006 Viper is their best ever and I like it a lot! This is one aggressive mean looking bold car and the sound of a viper is unmatched! I see Vettes everywhere and I hardly ever see a Viper. I am the type of person who like to be unique and not have the same as everyone one else. The Viper launched in 1992 or 1993 so it's still a young car in comparrison to the Vette but it came out strong and has made a bigger statement year by year. So, now Im kinda stuck. Do I sale my 2007 Z06 to get a 2006 Viper? I know the Viper is not making a 2007 model and the 2008 will be a bigger motor with about 600+ horse power with a hood change, and I also heard from a solid source that they will be changing the 2009 model completly! Wow, so do I get my Z06 until the possible complete body change in 2009? I like the Viper a lot, but it's just not too easy when I think about giving up my Z06 to get a stock 2006 Viper that I continue to hear from people including threads on this forum about Viper owners getting beat by a stock Z06. I'm not in a rush, and I want to try to do whats best, so this is where I ask you to please give me your input if you have the time to respond.

Thanks,

Goldie DeWitt

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m a 2007 Z06 owner & I want a Viper.....

z06 versus viper seems to be a never ending comparison ... Just look at the thread a few threads up and u should discover a few answers..BUT in the end u already know u're snakebit, just go get one ...i also bought a srt 8 as a daily driver at the same time in febuary. Problem is since feb the srt 8 now has 3000 miles and the viper had 9600 miles....go figure

ps i've never met a man named goldie, let alone a young black man(your words)

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you want the Viper I would get out of the Vette while your resale is still pretty high. There are alot of great deals on Vipers, but getting a deal on a coupe is getting harder.

As to the 08 Viper, well.. I would want to be out of your Vette before the new Viper hits the showroom. If it lives up to the hype, I think you will see alot of Z06 owners taking a very close look at it and this will hurt your resale as a few Z06'***** the used market. There are alot of people with more money then sense.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

If you're going to make the move, and it sounds like you have decided to, don't wait around, make the move now while your current car is still worth some $$.

Top flying off, piston / rod failure, very common look, diff failure, trans failure all starting to get around, whether true or not, these kinds of rumors will cost you $$$ if you wait.

It will be a step up.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you're going to make the move, and it sounds like you have decided to, don't wait around, make the move now while your current car is still worth some $$.

Top flying off, piston / rod failure, very common look, diff failure, trans failure all starting to get around, whether true or not, these kinds of rumors will cost you $$$ if you wait.

It will be a step up.
Whether its true or not? Whether its true or not?

Its true.

My Z had roof failure, tranny faliure, and engine failure.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you want the faster car, you've got it. If you want the one that will make the old Vette guys angry as well as ignore you, get the Viper.
As for waiting for 2008 or 2009 for the Viper, why wait for tomorrow if you can have what you want today?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get out now while the Vette is still money. Pick up a 04 in the low 50's. Drive it for a while then unload it for the new Viper in 08. Hey, wait a mintue, I am doin the same thing! ;)

OP
OP

1DOWN

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would like to say thank you very much for everyone who took the time to kindly send me a reply with some cool advice. I appreciate your time and I take your advice as true & being honest and I gotta say I am very suprised that not 1 person was rude in their comment. I say this because on the corvette forums, those guys can be very uncool & rude on just about any thing you ask. Stay tunned, my name is Goldie DeWitt and keep and eye out for me, you will see me on your team real soon. When I do make this change, I will be getting my Viper through the #1 Viper Dealer Bill Pemberton!

Take care,

Goldie DeWitt

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The Viper is a much different experience both driving and otherwise. Go for it, you'll be glad you did. :2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would like to say thank you very much for everyone who took the time to kindly send me a reply with some cool advice. I appreciate your time and I take your advice as true & being honest and I gotta say I am very suprised that not 1 person was rude in their comment. I say this because on the corvette forums, those guys can be very uncool & rude on just about any thing you ask. Stay tunned, my name is Goldie DeWitt and keep and eye out for me, you will see me on your team real soon. When I do make this change, I will be getting my Viper through the #1 Viper Dealer Bill Pemberton!

Take care,

Goldie DeWitt
Bill's a good guy, and he'll take care of you. :2tu:

There are rude and uncool people here too, but it's a tighter knit group because of the smaller number (MUCH smaller). Even the rude people here like each other deep down. ;)

Welcome to the party! If you ever make it up to San Francisco, first beer is on me. :headbang:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I do make this change, I will be getting my Viper through the #1 Viper Dealer Bill Pemberton!

Welcome to the fray- just as long as you are not considering Bill's 2005 Copperhead- I just bought it yesterday :headbang:

Also, if you buy a new Viper in the next 2 days you might qualify for a free trip to Germany- ask Bill about it.

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Goldie.

I own both a Z06 and a Srt10. They are both awesome cars. They are both awesome in thier own way. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

When it comes down to the overall performance the Z is the winner. However at the level of performance with these two cars, IMHO a person needs to be more concerned with the overall package of car ownership. Which car fits your personal taste better. Lets face it, most will not street race and most will not track race. Especially professionally.

It has become bragging rights. Or some call it bench racing. Big whoop!

Ignore the clowns you meet on the forums or on the street. With Corvettes you will meet more simply because there are more cars/owners.

A true car enthusiast will not act as a snob towards you.

If you can, have both. :2tu:

Good luck.

Dan

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome Goldie,
Just got my viper from Woodhouse yesterday. You cannot go wrong with their service. Everyone was professional from Bill Pimberton to financing & down to Gerald who delivered my vehicle. I took it for a short test drive yesterday evening with my son and I felt like a celebrity! Now...I have to go tint my windows. Just be careful with the side exhaust, got singed twice my first day out. I got the itch to drive it again @ midnight, but needed some rest for work. I can already tell this will be a "special" vehicle. Good luck with your decision. :2tu:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm to the point where I don't even do the "vette wave" anymore when I see another vette driver

How dare you? :)

Make the move now.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can say from the time I've owned my Vette, I can not compliment the majority of the Vette owners out there. They seem to be some older nerdy stuck up acting dudes and some of them seem a bitter that Im a young black man in a new Z06. Maybe its just where I live, but Im sick of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all the years I have owned a viper I have had only 1 vette owner wave back to me whenever we meet on the road. But I still wave to them, even though they give me that stupid I am better than you look, as we as a viper nation do not need to be stuck up as they are. It is not good for the VCA or DC for us to act like them. If you decide to buy a viper you will meet the nicest people on this planet, Viper Owners!

drviperdds

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do it man, everywhere I go I see Vettes. I used to have black convert.99' and traded it in for my viper and now have 2 vipers. I am working on another but in the same dilema as you. Vipers for me and nothing else! :headbang:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Followed a ragged-out Chevy pick-up tonight that had Z06 stickers all over the rear window and a large "AntiVenom" decal as well. I was in my Dakota and not the snake...I would have loved to have pulled up next to him with the Viper just for grins.

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You will really enjoy the Viper community it trully is great. I would consider following the advice of everyone above my post.

Good luck, hope we will see you here!

OP
OP

1DOWN

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I told myself if my dealer can get my Vette sold for a price I'm "cool" with, I'm all in. I'm going straight to Bill P. BUT... if the sale is not worth it, I will just stay in my 2007 Z06 for about 1 year then get me the 2008 Viper. If I get the 2006 Viper I'm sending it straight to "DC" to give me that 700HP package. I'll be DAM if any stock Z06 think he's about to add me to his list. I'll be that 1 Viper out my way lookin dam good among a few gundred other Vettes and HOLDIN' MY OWN! Trust me, I will make you guys proud. By the way, tonight Im having a huge event and one of my clubs and I would like to invite you guys to come out and have a blast. All you have to say is "I'm on 1DOWN'S, guest list" and your in free. Out of respect for the forum, I don't want to name drop the location. This is my way of saying Thank you to the forum for all your kinds words of advice. Maybe if you send me a private message I can give you details, if thats not a violation of the forum. I live a fun life, and I like to share it when I can.

Much respect,

Goldie DeWitt
1DOWN

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Goldie,

Although the Z06 is technically quicker than the Viper, at the performance levels these cars are capable of, the driver makes a huge difference. As an example, my first track time was at Buttonwillow last spring. Rookies like me were happy to get around the track in 2 minutes 40 seconds, better drivers were turning times of around 2:20, and really good drivers were approaching 2 minutes flat. Mind you, 40 seconds is a BIG difference between us rookies and the really good drivers. Then a 70 Year old in a RAM PICKUP did it in 1:59. And the pickup was stock, so you can imagine that was impressive to us rookies.

The performance differential between the Z06 and Viper wouldn't account for much more than perhaps a second per lap, whereas the driver differential was more than 40 seconds.

Drag racing is much the same, really good drivers can do the quarter in the high 11's or low 12's, but us rookies are lucky to see low 13's.

As far as really good drivers, note that Cindy Lux and her compadre are required to carry a couple hunderd pounds of ballast to offset the advantage they have over the 'vette's on the track - and they still win!

If you want to ensure you can beat Z06's, just add a Paxton to the Viper and you are good. You can even order a new Viper from Woodhouse already equipped with a Paxton, or pretty much whatever you want. And DC, who you mentioned has a good reputation for building Vipers. The point is, don't worry about the Z06 having a slightly better weight/HP ratio, that's easily fixed.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

OP
OP

1DOWN

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Mike... Well said, understood and I thank you for your time & input. I agree with you 100%. I will leave my foot prints on this board as you guys see me walking through here getting the best advvice, but soon you will see me running through here leaving skid marks in my new Viper!

Goldie DeWitt
1DOWN

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doit Do it Do it..

Too me a vette cant even be compared to a viper..

kinda like saying a 2002 C5Z06 is better than a 1995 rt 10 cus the Vette can do 12.4 at 116 and the Viper can do 12.9 at 111..

Yea the C5Z06 is faster than the gen 1 viper but who's gonna get more respect when they pull up to the club...who are people gonna gather around at the gas station????

Ive had more people show interest in my 1999 Viper in the past 2 months than I had in my 2004 Vette in two years....

I cant afford a F430 ferrari...But I have a pretty good feeling of what it's like to be seen in one. Everyone thinks the Viper cost 100 plus grand and is right up their with these kind of cars...

but the Vette ....Well it's a vette...Just like the million and one C4's you see barely running all over the place..Too anyone who knows about the c6Z06...They know it's a 70 K car and they know it runs mid 11's...But to the average person it's just another Vette.

Make the change.....Trust me....knowing that I wont see another viper on the road for the next 6 months besides mine is just awesome...Ive actually only seen 3-5 Vipers driving on the road in my life...

with the vette...Well I saw several per day C5's and c6's

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Goldie.

I own both a Z06 and a Srt10. They are both awesome cars. They are both awesome in thier own way. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

When it comes down to the overall performance the Z is the winner. However at the level of performance with these two cars, IMHO a person needs to be more concerned with the overall package of car ownership. Which car fits your personal taste better. Lets face it, most will not street race and most will not track race. Especially professionally.

It has become bragging rights. Or some call it bench racing. Big whoop!

Ignore the clowns you meet on the forums or on the street. With Corvettes you will meet more simply because there are more cars/owners.

A true car enthusiast will not act as a snob towards you.

If you can, have both. :2tu:

Good luck.

Dan
This is the attitude of a true car enthusiast. I agree wholeheartedly with you. If you are a true car guy you will see the good and the bad with any car. I bought my Viper because I have always loved the look of them. They look fast even when they are parked. As for Corvettes, I love them also. You wouldn't have any of the performance we have today out of these cars if it wasn't for each of these cars pushing each other to higher levels.