I'm begging you all: don't let Vipers be outnumbered!!!!!

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I\'m begging you all: don\'t let Vipers be outnumbered!!!!!

I'm about to sell my Viper because I can't stand the fact that SO VERY FEW VIPER OWNERS RACE. PLEEEEEEEEEASE show up to race on November 13th at Atco. And I stress RACE not just WATCH.

It's the final round of the Vette Vs Viper shootout. I hear there's a bunch of guys coming but most of them want to just watch. We've always been outnumbered by the Vette guys. You don't need to be a seasoned racer to participate. This is a perfect opportunity for a beginner becasue the Original Street Class index is only 12.50 or slower. C'mon guys! You'll get to see a lot of fast cars at this race for sure.

Oh, if nothing else, come and cheer me on as I try to better my 11.71 in a stock Viper. :) I'm definitely shooting for the 11.58 record. And if that fails, I'm hoping to finally put my TT Z06 into 9s. Yes, I am an idiot and I am planning to race two very different cars in two classes which should totally screw me up :D

Paul

Hope to see you at Atco on November 13th.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m begging you all: don\'t let Vipers be outnumbered!!!!!

i'll be there. think guy are organing a cruise there.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m begging you all: don\'t let Vipers be outnumhyuttbered!!!!!

Dude, don't sell you're viper because of that. All that matters is that you enjoy it.

Remember, viper production is so low ~1000/yr, naturally you won't see many around. That's kind of a good thing.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, don't sell you're viper because of that. All that matters is that you enjoy it.

Remember, viper production is so low ~1000/yr, naturally you won't see many around. That's kind of a good thing.
i thought dodge made about 2000 a year?Better off we dont have as many vipers because the price would fall even worse over the years

:2tu: Max

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1992-2002 production was about 16,327 Vipers

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And 1992-2002 Vette production was what, well over 100,000?!?! :eek: DON'T sell because of the #'s, just know that you have a car that everybody wants but a select few own. :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is probably a higher percentage of Vipers that race than any other car.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are over a million Vettes out there to roughly 14k Vipers. Simple math your not going to ever have as many Vipers racing as Vettes. Chuck is proabably right about the percentage though.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im showing up if my car is ready. i already spoke with ned and got a hotel setup just in case i can make it. if im there i guarantee at least one nine second viper :laugh:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And 1992-2002 Vette production was what, well over 100,000?!?! :eek: DON'T sell because of the #'s, just know that you have a car that everybody wants but a select few own. :D

The Production numbers for '98-2000 C5 alone was over 100,000! So I would think '92-'02 is closer to 350,000.

So you might see a couple more Vettes than Vipers. :p
Tell me you aren't selling your Viper and keeping the Vette? That would be the 1st time I have ever heard that before. :p

Good luck with the race!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what time is this gonna start?

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Racing starts at 10 AM but get there a couple of hours early so we can hang in the same spot. I'll be there early. When you guys get there, look for a pewter Haulmark trailer with a pewter Suburban with a black Z06 and a Sapphire RT/10 around. I have Cartek stickers on the trailer and the Z06 so that's your other clue. I'll be the guy with all the Coors Light girls around him :)

Here are some web sites to get more info:
Rollingthunderz:
http://www.rollingthunderz.com/ascc.html

Atco Raceway:
http://www.atcorace.com/

I hope to see a lot of Vipers racing there!

Paul

P.S. Mojo, I've broken 3 output shafts within the last 10 days so I'm not sure if I'll ever get a chance to line up against you :D Lucky for you, 'cause it would've been ugly. :D

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Where is ATCO located?
thx
john

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Paul -

My buddy Tony (99 GTS - Black) and I will be there.

But, what is the deal that my car isn't even in a PURE STOCK class because it runs sub 12.5s STOCK???

Ahhh, who cares, I race the clock anyway and I hope to see 11s stock, granny shifting, with an easy launch.

Wishful thinking, but what the heck..... 11.999 would be cool.

Howard

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Paul -

My buddy Tony (99 GTS - Black) and I will be there.

But, what is the deal that my car isn't even in a PURE STOCK class because it runs sub 12.5s STOCK???

Ahhh, who cares, I race the clock anyway and I hope to see 11s stock, granny shifting, with an easy launch.

Wishful thinking, but what the heck..... 11.999 would be cool.

Howard

Howard,

The Original Street class was created for new/inexperienced drivers with stock (or close to stock) cars on Michellin Pilots (or Goodyear F1s on Vettes) so they could be competitive in the series without having to run in the Genuine Street class which is an 11.50 second index. It's not easy for an inexperienced racer to get a Vette or a Viper on street tires to run mid-11s.
We'll have several time trials before qualifications so you'll know exactly which class you should be running.

It looks like it'll be cool (mid-40s) on Saturday so you have a VERY GOOD chance of getting into 11s. I ran 11.71 in 65 degree weather in positive DA so there's no reason that you won't be able to get your Viper into 11s.

I'm glad you're bringing your buddy. See you on Saturday!

Paul

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Corvette Production Stats from 1992 thru 2002:

1992- 20,479
1993- 21,590
1994- 23,330
1995- 20,742
1996- 21,536
1997- 9,752
1998- 31,084
1999- 33,270
2000- 33,682
2001- 35,627
2002- 35,767

Total- 286,859

Total Production from 1953 thru 2003: 1,302,401

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/totalprod.html

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I hope you guys are soaking your tires in VHT for the race this weekend :)

From what I hear, there are two 9 second Vipers making the trip to Atco. It ought to be interesting. I know of at least four 9 second Vettes coming down.

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I heard Mojo is coming to whoop up on ya Paul. He's been talking about the 9's for quite some time :D

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I heard Mojo is coming to whoop up on ya Paul. He's been talking about the 9's for quite some time :D

Yeah? I've been TALKING 9s for a while too. I may have mentioned 8s once or twice too. LOL.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Paul -

I am far from an experience driver, I have made a totsl of 2 passes in my Viper at ATCO 2 weeks after I bought it.

1st was a 12.5, second was 12.3.

It was 88 degrees out and I was shortshifting at 5000-5200rpms. 1st launch was off idle, second was at 2000rpms.

Getting an 11 second timeslip is my only goal for Saturday.

I am a little nervous about losing traction severely on the 1-2 shift (COLD TRACK) and cracking the wall. You know how wiggly things can get.

Do you know if they prep the track down that far to help keep it sticky, or do they just prep it out of te hole.

Thanks,

Howard

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Howard,

You'll be racing on one of the best-prepped tracks in the country. And I'm not exaggerating. They do a great job prepping the track before each event and I see no reason why this time it'll be different. I love racing at Atco and all of my personal best runs came off that track. It'll be cold but sunny which should make the track stickier than when it's cold under cloudy skies. They usually spray VHT down the entire lane, not just to the 60' mark.

The only thing to remember is that if it doesn't feel comfortable, get out of the throttle. You can always make another pass. I see too many guys try to be John Force and stay in it after the car gets squirely. It's a recipe for disaster. Get out of the throttle AND DON"T GET BACK INTO IT. Once you're out of the throttle, the race is most likely over anyway. The reason I say don't get back into it is you're not sure if the wheels are pointing perfectly straight any more. If they're not perfectly straight and you hit the throttle, you're either heading for the wall or the center line (both of which are bad :shocked: ). AND DO NOT POWERSHIFT 2ND ON STREET TIRES, TRUST ME :D . Just take it easy and get a feel for the car and the track. You'll have plenty of time trials to get comfortable. Most of all, have fun.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Paul -

Thanks for the info and advice.I never powershift.

BTW - last time I ran I had 26# in the rear Pilots and 36# in the front.

I noticed you like to run 22# in the rear.

I curently have 25# in the rears, any advice on different pressures you have tried. I will probably lower them to 24# or less for race day.

I will only do a quick burnout to clean the tires off.

I plan on trying to come out at 2500-3000 at first also and slowly tring to bring that rpm higher each time.

Howard

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Howard,

Your front tire pressure is fine. I run between 35 and 40 psi in front. I lower the rear Pilots to 22 lbs. I tried 25 but got better 60' numbers with 22 lbs in the rear. If you're running drag radials, I'd drop the pressure to 17 lbs and do a full burnout. Drag radials get real sticky after a full burnout. Spinning/hazing tires is good for Pilots but you're not taking full advantage of drag radials if you don't do a full burnout. I've cut 1.5s 60' on BFGs in my Vette so I'm a huge fan of those drag radials. Launching in the 2500 - 3000 rpm range is a good start. I would start there and adjust up/down 200 rpm on subsequent runs depending on if you bogged or spun. I bet you'll be launching above 3000 rpm because traction will most likely be there.

Paul

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Paul,

No dra radials on the Viper, I like the way it drives just how it is.

A 2000rpm launch with 26# in the Pilots got me a 1.94 60', so I figure a 2500rpm launch with 22# should get me high 1.8s with a little luck and if I can manage 3000rpms maybe mid 1.8s.

Thanks for all the help,

Howard

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

BTW, don't worry about the weather. Tommorow's rain will be gone by Saturday morning and Atco will be clear well before 10 AM start.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score

will not be attending. ran into problems after SC install.

OP
OP
R

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You're killin' me Dimitrios!! What happened?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score

alt is not feeding the battery. besides look like rain tomorrow. will this event be postponed for another time?