I'm convinced Motor Trend hates the Viper (Video)

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FfYPIR8e20&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm truly convinced after this that Motor Trend doesn't like the Viper. The fact that they don't mention that the TA smoked the SLS and act as if this is how Vipers perform is absurd. Also when Carlos says the car shouldn't have to be the way it is, it just makes me mad. You aren't a real car enthusiast if you want the car's computer to do it all and make you feel better about yourself.

Ralph.... get the ACR out shut these guys up.

-nighthawk-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Anyone who can afford a 100k car can afford a 300k car" - what an absolute ridiculous statement.

According to Motortrend they couldn't get a hold of the TA Viper, not sure if SRT screwed up bad here or they are bluffing. Either way, to not mention the TA Viper at all something is very fishy.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can afford a 100k car... barely.. I doubt I will ever be able to afford and even if I can, justify a 300k car.

On that note, the Viper seems to be MTs milk money, how many episodes have they milked out of the Gen V in one way or another so far?

I don't care what MT or anyone says, the Viper is for me! Regardless of what my bank account says. It has been for 20+ years ever since I was a kid reading magazines & watching the TV series on a 12" B&W tube while laying in my bunk bed.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are media ******. At times, very entertaining, but they are trying to sell copy and boost their own egos. Their arrogance is sometimes annoying as hell. As long as I don't take them too seriously, my blood never reaches a full boil.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are media ******. At times, very entertaining, but they are trying to sell copy and boost their own egos. Their arrogance is sometimes annoying as hell. As long as I don't take them too seriously, my blood never reaches a full boil.

You convinced me to change my mind. I Frickin Hate Motor Trend. The magazine *****.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything to get mad about here. Consider this:
  • They are talking about the viper, again. Love it or hate it, at least they're talking about it.
  • They felt that the only car that was worth pitting against the viper was a $300K track-ready racing car.
  • By pitting it against the SLS they imply that there's really nothing between $100K to $299K that would have really constituted and interesting match up.
  • Also implying that a $100K Viper is running at the same level as a $300K race car.
  • The TA version of the Viper smokes the SLS.
  • Viper is still far better looking than the SLS.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
  • They are talking about the viper, again. Love it or hate it, at least they're talking about it.
  • They felt that the only car that was worth pitting against the viper was a $300K track-ready racing car.
  • By pitting it against the SLS they imply that there's really nothing between $100K to $299K that would have really constituted and interesting match up.
  • Also implying that a $100K Viper is running at the same level as a $300K race car.

I think that's a good way to look at it and I agree with your points.
I got Edward Loh to respond to a youtube post I made. He agreed that ACR would have been the best matchup but SRT only gave them the "base" model. He also said they "want to like the Viper" but SRT has sent them inconsistent cars. When I called him on not talking about the T/A in the video or follow-up round table, he said nothing. As usual they tend to report was suits their current view, and not what history or facts support. He did say they would know for sure if they like the Viper (whatever that means) by September. (perhaps another test in the works?) Also, if the car they got wasn't "bolted together properly" (their words), SRT fukked up another marketing opportunity big time. I also called out Lieberman for being a giant whiner who has no business reviewing world class performance cars. He should stick to Camrys and Accords. I really want to like Motor Trend... but it's full of nancy drew journalists who have lost all perspective on what a car like the Viper is supposed to do and how it makes you feel.

Last edited:

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the viper is faster than a 458, but the SRT and GTS are slower than a zr1 that is 5 years old and cheaper. And I'm pretty sure the mclaren would give the viper a run for its money. And a porsche turbo S I think may win it on the track as well.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only took the ZR1 five years to finally set a record at Laguna.

There wasn't much change from 2009 to 2013. I think it was in 2010 or 2011 they switched to the pilot cup tire but from then to present there has been zero performance change just cosmetic changes like different color stiching and red brake calipers. So it really could have been done much sooner. Plus now I wonder how that z28 camaro is going to handle around the track.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the viper is faster than a 458, but the SRT and GTS are slower than a zr1 that is 5 years old and cheaper. And I'm pretty sure the mclaren would give the viper a run for its money. And a porsche turbo S I think may win it on the track as well.

Put equal tires on the ZR1 and Viper, and the Viper in GTS or SRT trim wins. Especially with the carbon aero option. The McClaren's not as fast (at least the model tested at Laguna Seca), and the Viper's warm-up laps are faster than the Porsche's fastest time.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper smoked the standard SLS in the Road and Track test in every category. The upcoming ACR is the proper match up with the SLS Black. Looking forward to that bout, because you know it is coming!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The Mag Rags have hated all Mopars since I was a young man .... many moons ago.

We never get a fair shake ...

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mag Rags have hated all Mopars since I was a young man .... many moons ago.

We never get a fair shake ...

True story. Chrysler is the whipping boy. I have to admit it, this sort of thing upsets me greatly. It's too much to ask them to be fair and let the chips fall where they may. Look at all the attention Motor Trend got after the first Viper vs ZR-1. This is part 2 with a different opponent.

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say SRT should go back to the Ring, but do it with Car and Driver or something so to give MT's competition a ratings boost...

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1085535_srt-boss-gilles-says-dodge-brand-not-dead-but-may-become-more-focused

Rumors of the Dodge brand's death are greatly exaggerated, according to SRT boss Ralph Gilles--but that doesn't mean the brand won't undergo some "focusing."
That's what we can extract from Gilles' Instagram posting (via Autoblog) last week. Responding to questions about the rumors of the Dodge brand's demise, Gilles said, "Dodge is here to stay! It may get more focused going foward but not killed!"

That's a typically clear statement from the straight-shooting Gilles. With his use of contrast between sticking around (presumably as-is) and becoming "more focused," it sounds like the Dodge brand may shed more than the Viper and Ram that have already left the fold to form new brands.

While it's unclear which products would be "focused," it could mean bad things for the Challenger and/or Charger--two vehicles we've grown to appreciate, if not love, over the years. That would leave Dodge with little but SUVs, minivans, and a solid but mostly unimpressive compact sedan.

What a sad Dodge that would be.

:drive:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your original post is interesting on the comparo and Motor Trend magazine. Thanks for posting. IMO Motor Trend, Car and Driver and many others alike are mostly filled with advertisements and of course can be very biased. Thats why I now only subscribe to RACER magazine. It offers true performance and all types of pro racing info with very few adds and great photos. It is pricey however but well worth it. Check one out sometime.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all about who is spending on advertising. Pretty soon these magazines will all be gone anyway.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche 911 Turbo S will destroy a Gen 5 Viper on the street...Go drive one,you will see..

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche 911 Turbo S will destroy a Gen.5 Viper on the street and Quarter mile...Go drive one,you will see....

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All of the above will beat a GT500. Don't you wish you had a viper? :)

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche 911 Turbo S will destroy a Gen.5 Viper on the street and Quarter mile...Go drive one,you will see....

And your point is? I have driven a Turbo S, fun car. But the Viper and the Turbo S are not supposed to be drag cars, they are both purpose-built and aiming for true world class performance on a road course. Looking at straight line performance is one dimensional, not the best measure for a supercar.

To each his own, but I would not buy a car of this caliber or price just for 0-60 times. I'll gladly take a light weight 2 wheel drive road course dominator over a heavy AWD machine that wins in a straight line.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AWD cars have an inherent traction advantage in a drag race but you could always slap a pair of drag radials on the viper to narrow or eliminate the gap. On a road course I don't see the Turbo S beating the gen 5 despite all of the tech assistance the Porsche gets.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see if the 2014 Nissan GTR can beat the gen5 Viper around the track. It has been upgraded again for 2014 . Would be interesting to see that comparo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang