I'm gonna puke:(

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm told by my Dodge dealership I need a new crank pulley as its all stripped. My tensioner and belt were being replaced. 17k for a new crank? My car just became scrap metal. I'm beyond upset. Just when I thought the car was behaving and driving the way I wanted it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm told by my Dodge dealership I need a new crank pulley as its all stripped. My tensioner and belt were being replaced. 17k for a new crank? My car just became scrap metal. I'm beyond upset. Just when I thought the car was behaving and driving the way I wanted it.

Call me in a bit... we can fix this multiple ways.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So you are saying you went in for routine maintenance of changing the belts and they said you need a new crank pully? At what point did they say you need a new crank? When they attempted to remove the pully and stripped the bolt by turning it the wrong way? How on earth did they strip a forged crank? It sounds like they are at fault. Did you even have a problem before this? You do not need to replace the whole crank for a stripped bolt hole.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call me in a bit... we can fix this multiple ways.

Pleasure speaking with you on the phone. Once I get my head around this a bit more I will be in touch. Thanks for all the other replies from everyone too. I guess I was misled regarding having a Viper Tech do serious engine work. Hopefully I find some silver lining in all of this as major car work was not accounted for with my small "incidental" funding I have for this year. I'll keep everyone updated and get feedback as to what the best course of action is now that I have to fix her up. May as well get a solid build and some upgrades pending I am not spending giant money. Thanks all.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So you are saying you went in for routine maintenance of changing the belts and they said you need a new crank pully? At what point did they say you need a new crank? When they attempted to remove the pully and stripped the bolt by turning it the wrong way? How on earth did they strip a forged crank? It sounds like they are at fault. Did you even have a problem before this? You do not need to replace the whole crank for a stripped bolt hole.

No a few years ago I put locktite red on the crank bolt and it came undone again yesterday throwing my serpentine belt off. Fortunately (or so I thought) I was right by a dodge dealership.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a take out motor from a wreck off one of these guys like Paul Scharf, and call it a day. Probably get a decent mile, take out motor, for $5k or less. Then part the good stuff off your motor to recover some costs, so you dont have to open either one, up. I could not see throwing that kind of coin ($17k), at a 2000. But maybe you feel different.

That *****.. good luck with getting it sorted.

Last edited:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So its not the f'ing crank pulley. Those are a dime a dozen. Why do some of you guys even own cars? Can I ASSUME the harmonic f'ing balancer came loose on the crank snout and ground the piss out of the hub and the corresponding crank bolt backed out and thrashed around as well ultimately hogging its correspnding threads to pieces in the end of the crank. Is that more accurate? No wonder dealership have a hay-day with some folks. While you are in there may as well replace the turbo-encabulator as well. Those are really expensive I hear and break all the time. Spark plugs go for $29.99 each installed each too. Special ones for the V10.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...Sorry for being a ***** but my cat just crapped on the floor next to me and it stinks like holy h$ll. F'in pets sometimes.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK...Sorry for being a ***** but my cat just crapped on the floor next to me and it stinks like holy h$ll. F'in pets sometimes.

I wonder how many hits this post will get when guys are looking for advice on high flow cats or removing cats:lmao::lmao::rolaugh:

How do you stand it between the puke and the crap:lmao:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many hits this post will get when guys are looking for advice on high flow cats or removing cats:lmao::lmao::rolaugh:

How do you stand it between the puke and the crap:lmao:

Hahaha
Well now that you actually said "removing cats" .... they will definitely find it! :chairfall::lmao2:
... Ooops, now we both just said "removing cats" :dunce:

Oh well, damage already done...:bolt:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think a pooping cat is bad wait until a cat lets one rip in your immediate vicinity... HOLY CRAP (pun intended) the smell is enough to make you pass out and WAY worse :crazy2:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing to happen on a 2000 GTS. Probably just need a new pulley and belt. Might want to pin it when you put it back together. I heard it was routine for the factory to not put the needed torque of 250 ft lb on the nut on the 2000's. They also had an impeller problem in the water pump that caused them to heat. I would check that too while it is down. I would be surprised if your crank is messed up. Take a look at it yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So its not the f'ing crank pulley. Those are a dime a dozen. Why do some of you guys even own cars? Can I ASSUME the harmonic f'ing balancer came loose on the crank snout and ground the piss out of the hub and the corresponding crank bolt backed out and thrashed around as well ultimately hogging its correspnding threads to pieces in the end of the crank. Is that more accurate? No wonder dealership have a hay-day with some folks. While you are in there may as well replace the turbo-encabulator as well. Those are really expensive I hear and break all the time. Spark plugs go for $29.99 each installed each too. Special ones for the V10.

Yes you are right, I don't know much about cars. I love the viper and I figured I would learn about the car as I go. But thanks for being an ass. I have learned a lot since owning the vehicle as I didn't even know what valve covers were when I first got the car. At least I have learned to change the battery on this car and helped with putting the locktite on the crank bolt. And yes..I have much to still learn. Not everyone who buys cars knows a lot about them but I am sure I know some topics that you have no clue about. Some people just have different crafts and things they are good at.

To the other's thanks for the continued input. I will evaluate my best options and go from there. I am going to either send the engine off to New York to have Dan work on it or just have it sit in my garage for awhile. Not sure if I should just "fix the problem" or actually pony up a little extra to add some power being that the engine will be out and worked on. Not sure what my goal should be, what my price ceiling is, etc. I am open to suggestions!

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dealership wants to charge me 1800 dollars to take the engine out of the vehicle. Maybe there are some Michigan members or a VCA member can post in the Michigan section and some people can help advise on what I should do. That just seems ridiculous! Their logic is that the crank bolt is shredded that nothing short of their "short block rebuild" is going to suffice. I said i will take my business elsewhere but I just don't know where to go from here. The car is immobile and I still need to get the engine out and sent somewhere...recommendations are appreciated. And sorry if I sound stressed, but with work being so busy, my mom having a broken neck and this happening all unexpectedly...argh.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if it needs a crank... you shouldn't be out any more than a few $thousand, including labor. Might have to ship your car to another shop, but there are several who will take care of you.

That $17k figure is probably an attempt at floating their service department for the month.

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel for you terminator thats rough !
If mine goes down i can do it myself , i have with everything ive owned and if it does go down its not going back in stock .
Question : for you veteran viper motor heads im just curious if you have a later model complete motor Gen 3 or 4 will it drop in a gen 2 assuming you have to splice in some wiring or plumbing or is it just too tough with the electronics etc?
Ive put motors of different models in cars that they didnt come in over the years but i realize the electronics can be tougher than welding or making a bracket or two sometimes . Just curious about repair options if i go forward with my twin turbo plan .
ELLOW VIPER Please dont yell at me like Terminator i only have one feeling left !:nono:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Call a tow truck and get it in your garage!
2) Once its there, find a better solution. The dealer seems to pressure you into accepting the repairs NOW!!! Dont let them squeeze your balls.

$1800 to take it OUT?
HOW MUCH TO PUT IT IN????????????

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get your car out of there and take it home and look at it yourself, take pictures (close up) of the end of the crank and pulley (all angles). There are motor heads on here that can probably advise you by looking at the pictures. Then you could take it from there. You may just need a new damper and bolt & pulley

tlcobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spun two rods last year on my gen 2 .i pulled motor had crank straightened ground. 2 used rods. Used bigger oil pan all new gaskets for less than 3000.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm cool. Back from the gym. Feel better. No sign of the cat...yet. But I do think its time to throw a few back...Yeah...Someone from the clan should be able to swing by and help you out. Its time like this that you'll find a unique kinship amougst the members. No one like to see someone getting screwed (in this context at least). We do work hard & play hard and ownership of one of these is somewhat symbolic of that attitude.