Im wet! Pls help!!

TazUK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">I know you guys in SUNNY CA wont have this problem but here in the WET UK we do!! I have a 94 RT/10 and everytime it rains the carpet in the passenger footwell gets soaking wet. This happens even when the car is static. I have checked where I can and it isnt leaking from the obvious places like the hood, or the door frame seals. Has any one else experienced this and if so did you find out where it was coming from?</FONT c>

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TazUK:
<FONT COLOR="Black">I know you guys in SUNNY CA wont have this problem but here in the WET UK we do!! I have a 94 RT/10 and everytime it rains the carpet in the passenger footwell gets soaking wet. This happens even when the car is static. I have checked where I can and it isnt leaking from the obvious places like the hood, or the door frame seals. Has any one else experienced this and if so did you find out where it was coming from?</FONT c>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Put your top on before it rains.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '94 that lives outside in upstate NY. A couple of places to look:

The body of the vehicle, where the round weatherstrip on the door contacts, was fairly rough - with the horizontal run over the door speaker area, water would sit there and leak in rather than run forward. I put a closed cell, dense foam weatherstrip piece on where the door weatherstrip would hit it. It creates a better seal and squished the round weatherstrip on the door harder.

The odd shaped rubber piece on the door; it's at the intersection of the forward edge of the window, the round weatherstrip on the door, and just ahead of the door handle. I had removed it once (it uses double sticky tape to stay on) to replace speakers. Make sure it's glued on well.

Here's the hard one to find: The forward facing end of the roof seal. Not the seal facing down, but facing forward. Tightening the latch keys harder doesn't compress it more.

Last, the side rails of the roof frame - are they straight? If they seem bowed in, you may want to straighten them Biff of V-Mania has the details, but basically you can heat them in an oven and bend them straight.

Let me know if I can add detail or help more...

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally understand your frustration over the leaking problem. When I had my 94 RT/10 back then, I recalled that even when the roof and side windows are put up, under heavy rain situation, water will virtually come in no matter what. it's frustrated i know, and that's one of the main reason i decided to sell my 94 back then and got an NSX...but now i'm really happy with the GTS. no leaks. Good Luck!

OP
OP
T

TazUK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions all!
I know what you mean about the rain in Orlando! Ive been a few times.
All the best
Taz.
smile.gif

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The owners manual on my new Camaro SS convertable suggests using Dielectric Grease on all rubber gasket surfaces on the top and doors. I tried it on my 94 and water leakage was just about eliminated. Thank you General Motors for a $2.00 dollar solution that worked.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom, F&L GoR:
I have a '94 that lives outside in upstate NY. A couple of places to look:

The body of the vehicle, where the round weatherstrip on the door contacts, was fairly rough - with the horizontal run over the door speaker area, water would sit there and leak in rather than run forward.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a place were two pieces of fibergass come together in the area described above. If you look at your car, you will note a "gully" where the door supplier "ran his finger over the joint" to make it look nice. The problem is when the seal lies across this gully, it leaves an opening for water to pass through..... where it then drips down over your speaker.... on the way to the puddle on the floor.

The best thing to do is to fill this gully with glass filled bondo, sand it smooth, and then paint it to match. This is what was done by the door supplier on later cars to eliminate the "speaker door drip".

The silicone "electrical (or divers mask) grease" works well on the top front and back seals as well.... stops the "creaking squeeking" too! Beware, do not use this stuff if you plan a repaint soon though..... paint will fisheye BAD.