Improved Description of the Viper Engine Calibrator (VEC1), how and why it works...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have about 170 VEC1's on Vipers now and a lot of people who don't have them are not sure how it works or what it does. Here is the improved description from our website at http://www.roeracing.com/index.html?token=119008792-1096937056-1828834807&A=24&B=Viper%20Engine%20Calibrator .
Please feel free to ask any questions. There is no need to think of it as a mysterious "black box".
You must be registered for see images

The VEC1 Viper Engine Calibrator provides adjustment of the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing over the entire operating range of the engine. The adjustments can be made by the driver "on the fly" to optimize engine tuning. Adjustments are generally not needed after the initial setup. It is especially useful for recalibration of stock Vipers and those with modified engines, intake or exhaust systems. As you upgrade your engine, you can continue to tune it for optimum power.

Powertrain Control Modules (PCM's) are preprogrammed to run an engine at a specific air/fuel ratio and timing advance based on the load the engine is under. With the calibrator, you can alter the load calibration the PCM is using to increase power and throttle response.

At low, part throttle loads, a stock Viper PCM typically runs the engine at 45 degrees timing advance and a very lean mixture. By altering the load calibration of the PCM to a positive setting, we can give the engine more fuel and reduce the excessive spark advance. This yeilds noticeably improved part throttle torque and throttle response over the stock calibration.

At full throttle, heavy loads, the stock Viper PCM typically runs the engine at 18 degrees timing advance and an excessively rich fuel mixture of 11.0:1. By adjusting the load calibration of the PCM to a negative setting, we can increase the spark advance to 30 degrees and reduce the excessive fuel mixture for dramatically improved full throttle power. The engine will pull harder at higher RPM's because of the increased spark advance and proper air/fuel mixture. Additionally, an increase in fuel economy is generally noted by all users after the calibrator has been installed and tuned in.

Calibrator Features:

- Low load calibration
- High load calibration
- Output clamp (assures output is kept within PCM parameters so no codes are set)
- Filter to provide smooth idle and reduce noise
- Transient surge and battery reversal protection

The air/fuel ratio gauge included in the kit is a precision, miniature instrument that provides an easy to read, real time display of the air/fuel ratio. The gauge has a 10 segment, 5 color LED display. The use of color makes the gauge readable with peripheral vision. It is calibrated for a 1V full scale input range and a sensitivity of .1V per display segment. The air/fuel ratio gauge gets it's signal from the upstream oxygen sensors, which is important, because monitoring the air/fuel ratio reading after the catalytic converters (which burn off excess fuel) will indicate an erroneous leaner reading.

Air/fuel Ratio Gauge Features:

- 5 color display is easily read
- Dimming feature automatically reduces display brightness at night
- Signal filtering enhances readability of the display
- High input impedance does not effect operation of the exhaust oxygen sensor
- Battery reversal protection

All components for installation are included along with a full color installation and tuning guide. No drilling or special tools required! Compatible with all PCM's, though the largest gains in power and throttle response will be when used with a stock PCM. Most Vipers pickup a peak of 14 HP and 16 Ft. Lbs of torque at the rear wheels across the entire RPM range at full throttle with greater gains at part throttle. 6 month warranty. 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

That is some great information. I have a blown and juice 94 camaro that I calibrate the ECM myself. I use a laptop and a program called LT1 edit. I can change just about any parameter I see fit. Too bad they don't make one for the Vipers. I would be all over it.

You have some great products. Keep up the great work.

Do you sell upgraded fans for my 98 GTS? I didn't see them on your web site.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Norman suggests would be a great idea! Something that would store the original parameters so that you can go back to default parameters as well. If someone were to code it up I would be all over it too!

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"So far" we haven't seen a need on the Viper to go any further. The calibrator has a wide enough range of adjustment that we have people using them successfully on stock, to stroker V10's. Some couple it with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or larger injectors on modfified engines.

If DC Corp used mass air systems with knock sensors and better mapping, the calibrator wouldn't do much good on stock engines. I guess I'd better keep quiet though, don't want to give them any ideas

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean:

You did not mention the price of your VEC1. If that is inappropriate for this venue, feel free to e-mail the price info to me. Also, I need some brake pads for my 99 ACR which do not dust the wheels so badly as the stock ones do. What's your recomendation?

Phil

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean:
Sorry for the stupidity, I just checked your site via the link you gave with the original post. So I now have the price but am still uncertain as to whether the VEC1 has an auto learn mode which optimizes calibration and continues to do so upon further mods to the car or does the driver have to manually calibrate.

Thanks again, Phil

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
How complicated is the initial set-up and each subsequent recalibration that is needed as you upgrade? Is it just a matter of turning the knobs and then driving it to get a seat of the pants feel, or do you need to dyno tune while turning the knobs to set the spark/fuel parameters? Are there any established settings for various states of tune, i.e., turn each knob to "5" for a smooth tube/filter setup and each to "8" for a smooth tube/filter/header/exhaust setup? Thanks.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Phil,
For street pads to reduce dust and noise, I trust Kingman's opinion on the EBC (have you ever seen those white wheels on his car?
) and suggest you give them a try. For the track, PFC's.

Regarding the calibrator setting, there is not an automatic or auto learn mode. However, it is fairly straightforward to set. the adjustment knobs are detented and hold their position.

Kid,
Hey, you're back

The initial setup is required to properly set the calibrtator for your car. Even if it's stock, they can vary slightly due to altitude and production tolerances of components and sensors on the car.

You can tune the engine with the air fuel gauge, our tuning guide and some street driving. If you want to ensure that you're getting the absolute max, only a dyno will show you the last HP or two.

We've done enough of these that we have a pretty good idea where you'll end up setting it based on your configuration, even if that includes a big cam and headwork. We're always available to call on for assistance and want to see people get the most out of the product.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
Will the VEC eliminate the engine light problems seen in the 2000-01 cars with headers/exhaust? Or will O2 sims and the stock pcm be enough? How much difference does the 'performance' mopar pcm make with the VEC?
Frank

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Frank,

The VEC1 will not do anything to affect the header changed induced check engine light situation on '00 and '01 cars. It's sole function is to alter the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing by altering the load calibration that the PCM is using.

Of the cars that I have linked to with the Mopar performance PCM, the only real difference in tuning "appears" to be about 4 degrees more spark advance over the stock PCM. There are certainly other differences as well, but it doesn't look like they did anything to reduce the excessively rich fuel mixture at heavy throttle loads.