IMPROVING VIPERDAYS AND VRL

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff ,
Please explain what you mean?
And yes everyones input is appreciated. The VRL board will review all suggestions. 2002 Rules will be out by Nov. 15.
The 2002 Finalized schedule will also be ASAP. We are awaiting VOI finalization, Limerock info and Grand Am final details.For those that have looked at the proposed Viper Days schedule....do not fret we will not be racing at all VD events!!

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also agree with Alan. In fact, the ability to drop your worst event in regional competition once you have attended 4 events, really isn't much of a consideration unless you have a disaster and do very poorly. Generally, the 1% bonus per event more than makes up for a less than stellar outing, so attendance is fairly rewarded. Besides, the more events you attend, the more seat time you get, and hopefully, the more you'll improve.

See you at the finals!

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When ever I get new clients I always advise them to take some type of driving "class" to learn the limitations of the car and themselves. Most of the people, I think, would not feel to comfortable driving their brand new car on a race track, let alone for the first time they have ever been on a track with any car. I think it would be beneficial to new owners to have a place to drive their car to learn general street maneuvers. (evasive action class first?) Unfortunately some tracks don't have the physical areas to hold these pylon classes. Tracks like Button Willow, out here, have the acreage to do this. The skid pad there is an excellent place to learn where your car is going to "come around". Take the people out and let them spin the car in a safe environment. All street spins are caused be the driver loosing control of the "slide". Teach the students how to make an evasive maneuver that will apply to the streets. Button Willow's skid pad would also be great if it was soaked down with water.
My suggestion being, offer a driving improvement class with 3-4 hrs instruction for a couple hundred bucks. Supply a wheel/tire change if nec.( I wouldn't want to destroy new street tires)
I've seen Viper Days grow leaps and bounds over the past 4 years and I hope it continues to develop into the ultimate Viper driver school and race series. I think it would be beneficial to everyone who wants to learn how to drive their car in street conditions, not caring too much about an apex or lap times.dj

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dave does make some great points. Skid pads are great to teach weight transfer at very low speeds. Water it down and that is even better. Also make available some braking drills, if the drivers want. May expose them to wheel lock up, but if they want to learn, its a great exercise. Set up cones where to apply brakes and where they should stop. Even brake and turn exercises. Maybe those Nor. Cal. auto-crossers will even come?

Also, from the previous posts, I think lead follow driving instruction would help students learn the line.

All in all, Viper days is awesome!!!!

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No question about it, Viperdays is awesome!
biggrin.gif

I do have one suggestion for the Michellin Challenge series;

I would recommend reformating the various run groups after the first day. After one full day of driving, it should be obvious if someone in the white, red or blue group is 10, 15 seconds or more behind the faster drivers in that group.

Certain shorter tracks or tracks that have significant no-passing sections present problems for drivers attempting to find space for clean laps. I know that it is advisable to duck into the pit lane to be sent out once again when more space is forthcoming, but it doesn't always work out and give you a full clean lap. Coming into the pits can also break your rhythm and if it takes a lap to get back to where you were before you had the problem with traffic, sometimes you immediately find yourself in the same spot again.

I just think it would be better to try and group people strictly by time rather than by ego, horsepower or anticipated driving ability so that everyone can space themselves out and have the best chance at improving their lap times.

I'd hate to sound like I don't appreciate the efforts that already take place to address this problem - I have driven in enough car club track days where it is incredibly worse. But if you look at the time sheets at the end of the day and see any discrepancies - I would suggest letting that be your guide.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brucemckenney:
--Would it be worth loosing some track time to have dedicated instructor run groups?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. The instructors are available whenever somebody wants them. That good enough for me.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The instructors are worth their weight in gold, ummm, seconds. They are very generous with their experience, and in some cases their lives in trusting us to bring them back in the same condition we received them.

Some instructors are only at ViperDays to instruct and do not compete. Other instructors are experienced competitors that generously volunteer to help beginners. The problem with giving instructors their own run group would be if an instructor was competing against others in a class that didn't have that advantage.

Track time and small run groups is definitely where ViperDays shines. I still believe, however, that all participants should be grouped by lap times and not by horsepower, ego, anticipated driving ability or instructor status.

My most humble thanks to those of you with bigger BTM!

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current point system is perfect for Challenge Series. I would think drivers should be grouped by run times. Allowing the better drivers to get clean runs in and not in congestion on shorter tracks.
I also would like to see Viper Days obtain a larger spectator group and even some televised events. This would allow drivers who are subsidizing their racing the opportunities to try and obtain some type of sponsorship and be able to move up to VRL. Viper Days is by far the best Racing Series I have attended. The events are well organized (time sheets, run groups,vendor support,etc.)
It think 5 point restraint systems should be manadatory in all cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine