In a predicament... Can't decide!

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to burst your guys' bubble but here's another Gen 2 vs Gen 3 thread... I've done the searches and I honestly can't find the answer I'm looking for. Hopefully creating one more thread to bug you all might help! Currently, I have a '05 SRT10. I love the thing to death but I have that itch for the hardtop. I enjoy having the top down whenever I can but honestly, you cannot beat the looks of a hardtop Viper; GTS or SRT. There's one going for sale locally but I'm wondering to myself, "Will I regret letting the SRT10 go?" I've done a few mods to it and I personally like going fast. I would like to go boost eventually and I realize that the creampuff motors in the Gen 3 limit me on how much power I can make vs the forged motors of the '96 - '98. BUT a big killer to me is not having ABS. I love taking corners and I don't mind not having traction control and stability control but ABS seems like a deal breaker to me... I have yet to drive the Gen 2 but I won't be able to until Monday due to work. Can anyone tell me what they felt after driving the 2 and which they'd go with and why??? From what I understand, people like the Gen 2 because it's iconic and more raw. People go with the Gen 3 because of the amenities and nice driving habits it has vs the previous years. I am completely torn and in a predicament!

My car.

You must be registered for see images

The car in question.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look for a Late Gen 2 2001 / 2002 Then it will have ABS :)

My 2000 does not have ABS. I have added the Stainless Brake lines and the 40mm rear Brake upgrade which balances the car out. I like the way the car now stops but have never driven a later Gen car so can't really say what the differences are.

You can get great power out of the creampuff motors by fitting a Roe Supercharger. I would give Chuck Tator a call and have a chat with him, he has fitted lots and could talk you through the various options without having to change the pistons.

I was out yesterday doing a just over 300 mile round trip in my GTS, I went through 2 summer rain storms on the Journey and was really glad I had a roof :D What I can say is that with my now slightly lowered and stiffer suspension, my car reminded me of ground hugging Exocet missile as I blasted through the English countryside, GOD I LOVE MY CAR :D

Recently 'Neilsfishing' (VCA member) and myself were out in our cars, Neil was in his Gen 4 ACR. Now my motor is pretty much stock apart from K&N cone Air filters, metal smooth tubes and De catted 3" Bellanger exhaust system. The last time I had the car on the Dyno it was kicking out 479 at the Flywheel (might be more now since the De cat)....But the Gen 4 ACR was much faster than my car!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just noticed there is a Supercharged 2001 Viper, 16k for sale on the "other viper site" no pictures of the car, but the price is good! No idea what colour it is!

Of course that all depends on the History and condition of the car ;) Make sure you get a carfax on ANY car you are thinking of buying ;)

You would have the best of both then, Fast car, brakes that work and great looks :D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely need to drive the Gen 2 to understand the character of the car. As Fatboy said, if you want ABS, you can get that in a Gen 2, if you want traction control you're outa luck....and ABS doesn't help much with cornering anyway. The Gen 2 is an entirely different experience......If you have an old hotrod, you appreciate that on some days, for some trips, nothing beats the older car for the feel of it......other days when you just jump in the modern car because you want balance, smoothness and a good radio. Difference between the two Gens isn't as extreme as that, but that's the direction.

We can yammer on for pages about the differences, but to really appreciate it viscerally, you gotta drive it to see if you like the rawness or prefer the smoother car.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each generation of car has gotten better from a driving point of view IMO, and I have had a gen 2, 3, and now 4. I would keep what you have.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive that Gen II and see what you think, it won't drive, brake or accelerate as well as your viper unless it's been modified. Not having ABS isn't a big deal unless your a person who tracks your viper and is used to ABS. But, you'll find Gen II brakes stopping power ***** compared to Gen III and newer. You say down the road you want to add boost, the forged internals of the 96-99 are better but don't confuse the strength of those vs. a "built" motor. Your Gen III can add a paxton and make reasonable power safely, and your Gen III starts with 50 more hp at the flywheel.

Gen II coupes look great, I had a solid red '99 ACR and loved it. No ABS isn't bad, but the brakes in general are weak. If you plan is to boost a Gen II, I'd look to find one that's been done, since most want a stock car, the premium to purchare a s/c Gen II is minimal. Good luck, Mike

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going from yellow to red is a no brainer.... but besides that!, I also had the 40mm rear brake upgrade on my 2000 GTS, and it made a significant difference, since I have upgraded to a brembo grand turismo big brake kit on my GTS. I would assume the stopping power should be as good as any SRT now. (Though I have never slammed on the brakes of an SRT to be able to compare. My "cream puff" had headers back, 1.7 RR, and a 5lb Roe and put down 565 at the wheels, which will be much faster than your current SRT which would put down around 440-450 rwhp stock. Recently I had the itch for a little more power and now have Chuck upgrading the pistons so I can run 10lbs, also a few other things as well...Good luck with whatever you do. Martin-

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your yellow SRT10 looks great....another option would be to buy a hardtop for your Viper...there are some really nice ones available. They're not cheap, but you'll probably loose less money than having to sell your beauty and buying a Gen2 GTS....

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the Gen2 is much more raw, so that's something to consider. Personally, I like it old school, but you should definitely test drive a Gen2 before taking the plunge :2tu:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless the gen 11 has had all the updated things that go wrong with them by a good mechanic, you can bet you will be working and spending money all the time on it- read up on the issues, the gen 3 and 4 cars are way better in my op.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, YOU have to make the final decision...BUT, I know of a 2006 LOW mileage Blue/white Coupe for sale ("First Edition")...and, I have a friend looking for a 2005 YELLOW SRT 10 vert. Now WORRY yourself a bit!! :)

Call me if you like!!

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that my Viper has a Rebuilt Title which is another reason I'm looking to swap out cars. I haven't had any issues with my Viper at all but knowing that it has a Rebuilt Title kind of *****.

Also, it seems this Gen 2 has had a bbk installed

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Judging from the pics, it must be a pre 99 model, because of the fog light covers....wheels are from a 99+ model.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a comfort standpoint a Gen II is a move backwards. I would supercharge your car or move to a Gen IV. If you are in a place where you can ride with the top down in comfort then I would get a Gen IV convertible.

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From a comfort standpoint a Gen II is a move backwards. I would supercharge your car or move to a Gen IV. If you are in a place where you can ride with the top down in comfort then I would get a Gen IV convertible.

Yeah, it seems the Gen 2 is much more uncomfortable in comparison to the newer generation Vipers. However, because it will only be my weekend car, I don't mind whether or not it'll be comfortable. I guess what it really comes down to is whether or not the Gen 2 is as sturdy and reliable as the Gen 3 in terms of transmission and drivetrain. I'm comfortable with the engine as I'm sure the forged internals and the factory 708 cam will make the car healthy once I start modding. The Gen 3 has really been an awesome car to me. Truthfully, it's been more reliable than my previous Honda! Of course, it's a bit more temperamental but considering the fact that it's a huge V10, I honestly still can't believe how well behaved the car is! One would think a car such as this level would be as finicky as our European competitors. Luckily, it is not. America for the win!

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whether or not the Gen 2 is as sturdy and reliable as the Gen 3 in terms of transmission and drivetrain.
I think they're fairly sturdy. T56 tranny is pretty good...I mean, it was also used it Corvettes, Cobras, Astons...
A test drive should make up your mind...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also check out that other car I mentioned earlier ;) If its got the Roe on it already that's a great price. You will end up spending more if you have to buy a supercharger and end up doing the work modding work. Better interior in the Late Gen 2 cars too, Textured dash, Rear window/ trunk release by drivers seat. I believe you can go up to 6lb safely on a Creampuff. Then you will need to swap internals.

Check that any recall work has been done :)

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would also check out that other car I mentioned earlier ;) If its got the Roe on it already that's a great price. You will end up spending more if you have to buy a supercharger and end up doing the work modding work. Better interior in the Late Gen 2 cars too, Textured dash, Rear window/ trunk release by drivers seat. I believe you can go up to 6lb safely on a Creampuff. Then you will need to swap internals.

Check that any recall work has been done :)

I did see that on the other forum. It's tempting but I wouldn't want an RT/10 though. 1/2 the reason why I'd jump into a Gen 2 is to get the hardtop GTS model :)

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there is a compromise of reliability with either car. There is a difference of three years of aging between your car and the newest Gen II however. Also an eleven year spread from then till now. Lots of rubber and plastic parts losing their polymers. Leading to cracking,leaks and squeaks. For visual appeal Gen II has it.

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think there is a compromise of reliability with either car. There is a difference of three years of aging between your car and the newest Gen II however. Also an eleven year spread from then till now. Lots of rubber and plastic parts losing their polymers. Leading to cracking,leaks and squeaks. For visual appeal Gen II has it.

That is one issue I'm also worried about. Super low miles + lots of years sitting usually means nasty gaskets than need changing. Change of plans though, I'm gonna look at the car tonight

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well before heading to the dealership I gave them another call. Turns out the driver door wouldn't open and the aftermarket stereo system was non-functional. The car was in the service bay and was not available for a test drive. We rescheduled for Monday again!

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont get mad at me, the gen3 came out before the 2005 vette but they look too similar! I had 10 different gen 1's and 2's then tried a 2005. Had it for a month and im back in a 99. So many people said" nice vette"! I couldnt take it. I like vettes, but gen 3,4 and yes even 5 look similiar to corvettes of the same years. Theres really only 2 gens that no other cars look like! Yes the gen3 is more user friendly. The inside is nice! The brakes are better. Its faster stock. Ha im na 600 rwhp so fast isnt an issue. Gen1 and 2 owners know there cars have someting that NO other car has. It gives you a certain feeling. I also love the way my car drives! Maybe im just used to the older ones. Fyi if want a gen 3 just get a 2005 vette and put racing stripes on it and say its a viper it will be cheaper :) nobody will know. J/k good luck

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen1 and 2 owners know there cars have someting that NO other car has.

This.

There are many different reasons on why certain cars get branded with certain likes from the general public. Some is price, some is exclusivity, some is lineage, some is design, etc. In the case of the Viper, it's a special car that isn't expensive, yet calls some of the most attention with any car enthusiast. That's the problem I personally think the Gen3/4 had; amazing performance cars, but just didn't have "it".

Last edited: