IN/KY VCA Mtg. NOON EDT Putnam Park Tower...8/8/09...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
IN/KY VCA Meeting at Putnam Park August 8, 2009

As previously published, our scheduled monthly Club meeting will be held at Putnam Park Road Course on SATURDAY August 8, 2009. This meeting will start at NOON EDT, and take place in (or around) the Tower.

The originally scheduled Viper Days-NARRA event was cancelled...BUT, a high performance "Open Lapping Event for Advanced Drivers" will take place Saturday and Sunday (Aug. 8th and 9th).

The sponsors of this Open Lapping Event have graciously invited our Region to this event as guests (and as participants for those qualified drivers). This is a great opportunity to meet
many high level drivers...and to see up close the various Vipers used in the Viper Racing League.

Have a question about YOUR Viper? You can probably get the answer from these folks!!

At this time, I DO NOT know if the concession stand will be open...so, plan to eat lunch before or after the meeting...or, bring your lunch with you.

REMEMBER: Putnam Park is located about 30 miles WEST of the I-465 Beltway that encircles INDY. Take I-70 WEST to Exit 41 ( Greencastle/Cloverdale exit) then go NORTH (toward Greencastle) on Ind St. RD 231 to US 40 (about 5 miles)...then go EAST on US 40 about 3.5 miles to Mt. Meridian...then turn SOUTH on County Rd. 550 East and follow this for about 1.5 miles to PUTNAM PARK ROAD COURSE.

This will be a FUN TIME FOR ALL !!!

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As you all know, we will hold our NOON VCA meeting on Saturday in or near the Tower at Putnam Park. I have had multiple recent e-mails from the "Open Track Day" co-host, Mr. Jim Stout...some excerpts of which are below:

"The track has agreed to open the food concession on Saturday for our group.
They may open Sunday based on the results from Saturday. However, they are
not open for breakfast."
(Editor's note: THIS IS GREAT...come, relax, get your food here effortlessly!!)

"If we receive enough interest, we will allow drive arounds from 12:00 pm to 12:45 pm for VCA members." (Editor's note:Have no fear this is low speed, cruise around "drive"...great chance to learn this track first hand)

"Besides the noon drive around, I feel we could give some ride alongs with those that have the need for speed." (Editor's note:BRING YOUR HELMET for this one...or, borrow one on site)

"The track will open at 7:00 am Saturday morning, and the drivers meeting
will be at 8:00 am. We will try to have drive arounds for those that are
signed up from 8:30 am to 9:00 am. The track will go hot at 9:00 am to
12:00 pm, and again from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm." (
Editor's note: A full day of VIPER ENTERTAINMENT..it doesn't get any better than this!!)

"We plan to have two run groups. The advance group will require point bys
and the race group will have open passing. Please let Kim Shafer know
which group you prefer. If we have enough racers interested, we will hold
a race in the afternoon. The run sessions will be 1/2 hour sessions, with
1 hour allowed to race."

"...due to the low car count and the presence of at least three
experienced Viper Days instructors, we could easily handle 2 or 3 students
to offer some one on one instructing. We could possibly offer a limited
half day program on Saturday after your meeting. (
Editor's note: This is a "change"...AND, A FABULOUS OPPORTUNITY...come and discuss it with Jim!!)

"I hope we can get a rag tag race group together. It would break up the day and provide some great spectating."(Editor's note:IF the "race" takes place, it will be thrilling...these folks are serious...AND, great drivers!!!)

"John Archer will be sending down a support truck. If you have any special
needs, please contact John directly. I know some of you have already
talked with him." (
Editor's note: This info obviously pertains to those drivers who have signed up to run this event...HOWEVER, if YOU NEED something, call Archer Racing Accessories at 1-866-272-4375 and discuss things with John...MAYBE he could bring it to the track for you. John and is fine group have supported Viper Days for YEARS...and, they kindly try to answer all types of Viper related questions. If you do need something from John, CALL HIM NOW as the truck will depart Duluth, Minn. at 4:00 PM Thursday 8/6/09...SUPPORT THEM because they have supported us!!! )

"We are very flexible and your members would not have to commit in advance.
My goal is to take advantage of the opportunity to promote the Viper Days
experience."

------------------------------------------------

Well, I think the above update says it all...these

wonderful folks have made the IN/KY VCA a series of unbelievably generous offers on their private track day. LET'S TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE OPPORTUNITIES AND HAVE A LARGE TURNOUT!!!

If you have questions, or need more info, contact Steve Fess ASAP 317-402-9013

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, this is a very busy weekend with FOUR different activities in two states!!

INDIANA...IN/KY VCA Meeting at NOON EDT Saturday (8/8/09) at Putnam Park, Mt. Meridian, IN...during the TWO DAY Open Track Day taking place Saturday and Sunday at this beautiful road course.

OHIO...Midwest Zone Rendezvous Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (8/7, 8/8, 8/9) in Columbus, OH...In close proximity to the annual Mopar Nationals.

As of Friday 7:30 AM EDT, the weather forecast for this weekend in central Indiana is: Saturday expect partly cloudy skies, high of 91...Sunday expect mostly clear skies, high of 92.

There have been multiple communications concerning all of these events, so hopefully, you have completed your plans.

Travel safely, and enjoy the weekend!!

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, the size of the group at Putnam Park today was much larger and more diverse than I personally expected. There were some spectacular Vipers participating !!! Several Comp Coupes, at least 4 new ACR's, and various GTS's.... with a wide selection of other cars including full race Neons, Audi R8, VW R 32(turboed to 400 hp), Kenny Brown S/C Mustang, Corvette, Vintage IMSA Porsche, and a Vintage Alpha Spyder...all lapping on a beautiful day. I should also say that there were several very interesting cars in the paddock...Vipers, Porsches, a Ferrari, and a Rally WRX sti to name a few.
Something appealing for all automotive tastes.

Co-host Jim Stout welcomed our VCA members during our brief meeting in the cool relief of the Tower. Indeed, the future of Viper Days seems very bright to this writer! Our Region's Members will work enthusiastically to expand participation in this event next year when NARRA's "Viper Days" makes a return in all it's glory!!! THANKS for the Viper keychains and posters, Jim!!
After the meeting, non-participants enjoyed drive arounds, riding in Comp Coupes with expert drivers doing hot laps, and discussing their own cars and driving experiences with "the folks in the know".

John Archer's crew was most kind and accommodating (as always)...checking and performing trackside service on various Vipers. Thanks, Guys!!

The afternoon race group put on a good show... CONGRATS Rich!!!

I'm sure that I can speak on behalf of our Members and guests in attendance...this was a fun, stimulating, and wonderful outing. We THANK Jim & Cathy, Ben & Sandy, and Rich for inviting us to their Open Track Event!!!

We also appreciate the efforts of the Putnam Park Staff...including those running the concession stand (I WILL have to have another BBQ sandwich tomorrow!!!).

P.S. For those who were occupied today and could not attend...you have a second chance...the SAME format will be offered tomorrow, so COME ON OUT TO PUTNAM PARK!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang