Information to keep regarding 43mm ABS rear calipers for 2001-02 Vipers

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSBruce offered a 43mm rear caliper to me because he had to replace one. He volunteered it to see if it would come apart and was rebuildable. Dodge didn't show how the 1992-2000 rear calipers are rebuilt, yet I can do them, and likewise don't show how the ABS calipers are rebuilt, and after looking at it, I think anybody can do them... Anyway, thanks to Bruce for letting me play and discover.

The calipers are made by Varga, which when you begin to search, made the calipers for the VW Beetle. Oh well, the 92-00 calipers were made by Brembo originally for a Renault. Varga is a Brazilian company that seems to be now owned by TRW.

FREIOS VARGA SA
VIA ANHANGUERA, KM 147
LIMEIRA, SP 13486-915
BRAZIL tel 55 194 41-8024

They have a US office here:

Varga Brakes, Inc.
1720 South Military Highway
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Phone: 757-366-0805

The website for TRW/Varga is here:

TRW

The catalog of brake calipers is here:
http://www.trw.com.br/pdf/freiosleve.pdf

Start on page 82 and you will see an exploded view of the caliper.

It's not apparent from this catalog, but other searches indicate that the 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra and the 1987-88 Ford Turbocoupe might use 43mm rear Varga calipers. If anyone knows Ford parts and can help here, please post!

The good news is that the caliper is constructed in discrete sections, so if for example you want to replace the brake seal, you do not have to disassemble the parking brake mechanism, remove the parking brake arm, or piston self-adjusting mechanism like on the older brakes. These sections are snap-ringed together or can stay in place and do not have to come apart for simple maintenance. Nice!

Even better - the piston seems to come out by simply unscrewing it all the way. No messing with air pressure or prying it out. Plus, the dust boot is similar to a transmission rear seal - it has a metal ring that presses into the caliper body. That means you don't have to worry about tearing or cutting the boot when reinstalling the piston because there is no captive rubber lip. I think that also means you can install the piston first and dust boot second. Finally, the parking brake shaft seal is also like a miniature transmission rear seal. Much better than the O-ring and flat rubber seal on the 92-00 brakes.

Disclaimer: I have disassembled one and not put it together and back on a car to see if it works again.

Luckily these calipers are inexpensive (~ $100) and I would recommend simply buying a new one if you needed to. Bruce however noted that there were very few in the country when he bought his, so availability may be an issue sometime in the future. If you have to replace one, I'd recommend saving the old one just in case.

I look forward to any comments - perhaps this can end up in the Sourcing Obsolete Parts For Gen I and Gen II Vipers section some day.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this mean we can soon have 43mm rear upgrade for gen 2 non abs cars? Or would that be too much brake force when compared to the front.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, no plans to configure a 43mm caliper for non-ABS cars. Yes, you would need an adjustable proportioning valve, but that's easy. There are other issues with a 43mm caliper - they use a bracket to provide the sliding function that is incorporated into the non-ABS caliper body and the 43mm caliper body is taller and interferes with the 17" wheel.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, no plans to configure a 43mm caliper for non-ABS cars. Yes, you would need an adjustable proportioning valve, but that's easy. There are other issues with a 43mm caliper - they use a bracket to provide the sliding function that is incorporated into the non-ABS caliper body and the 43mm caliper body is taller and interferes with the 17" wheel.

Hey Tom,

The mounting tabs are completely different:omg: They would have to cut off and a new mounting bracket made:nono: Too much cost involved.

Big Brake Dave:drive: