Innovate WB Error 8 Code

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been having an issue with my Innovate WB. Here is what I posted on their forum.

"Well I think I have figured out my Error 8 issue. I have changed sensors, installed the Innovate Heat Sink **** extention, fabricated a huge copper heat sink, recalibrated time and time again to no avail. Before I read the below, I had ASSUMED it was an overheated sensor issue but I would always get an Error 8 after decel and then accel. On my Viper, the PCM actually turns off the injectors during decel (AFR jumps to 22.4) and reactivates the injectors at around 1500 RPM...so the AFR takes quite a jump from lean to 14-15 AFR (for instance when downshifting into a turn or stop). This is where the trademark Viper exhaust burbling on decel comes from. When I read the below, my Error 8 condition made perfect sense.

From Pg. 17 of the LC-1 Manual: "Sometimes it’s possible to encounter Error 08 when the exhaust gas suddenly gets too rich. Normally the LC-1 will display a ‘too rich’ indication if the exhaust gas is too rich. If the mixture gets rich very suddenly, the LC-1 cannot distinguish between a too rich condition and a sensor timing error."

So that's it. Piss-poor design in my book. If I can't jump from 22.4 AFR to a wide open throttle 11.5 AFR within several milliseconds without triggering an Error 8, the Innovate isn't good for much more than a sinker. Oh yea, I have tried the earlier 1.00 version software and that didn't solve it either. Now back at the 1.10 version and the same condition exists. I wonder if its an LC-1 program issue or a sensor limitation issue??? That would be good to know before I buy a new WB product from another vendor that uses the same Bosch sensor.

ANyone have a similar issue or better yet a solution? I like my Innovate WB hooked to my VEC but this error code issue is getting tiresome. Don't like running blind.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have a ***** LC-1 controller or WBO sensor. I've had the LC-1 installed now for 3 years and works well. I had to replace it after the initial install as I got a 99 error code. Once the controller was replaced no issues since. I too turned off the injectors on decel and never had the 08 code pop up. However, when I let off on the gas my AFR tops out at 20. I've done WOT pulls that took my AFR down to 10's (pig rich at the time on my setup) and then let off on the gas and then go WOT again without seeing any codes pop up.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony...very interesting. Mine worked well for months on end and now all these isues. I think it might be a sensor issue since I was swapping out old/used sensors. Not sure how resilient they are once overheated or subject to something that makes them act up. The LC-1 is a pretty simple set-up and everything else works fine on it.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I touched a nerve on some D-Head over on the Innovate forum. I guess he didn't like me calling out the product. LMAO!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I think there's one guy over there that does it all...build, sell, ship, support and answer questions in the forums.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, if you ever get him to respond on the forum :rolleyes:

when I had a problem with one of my LC-1s, I contacted their support dept.
they told me to send it in and they would fix it for free if it was a manufacturing defect, otherwise they would charge a small fee to fix it, or replace it

I got it back a couple weeks later and they replaced the controller free of charge

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what Tech support came back with:
"Its not that the LC-1 can't distinguish the difference between a too rich and a E8 condition, its that they are very similar occurrence as far as the sensor is concerned. It sounds like you are fouling out the sensor with a very rich condition, when that happens the sensor can no longer keep the heater going so you get an E8 error code.

The HBX-1 can work in your situation but you actually want to cut off the section that protrudes into the exhaust (right below the threads). As it is the HBX-1 is routing the exhaust gases directly to the sensor, you don't want that. The sensor should sit flush with the exhaust pipe and you will still get accurate readings.

Felipe Saez
Innovate Technology
5 Jenner #100 - Irvine, CA 92618 - (949) 502-8407

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***** since first they indicated an overheating the sensor condition and now its a too rich condition and they recommend cutting off the bottom of the $80 heat sink they just sold me...can't do that since I welded the HBX-1 into the collector. I guess I can put my factory 02 sensor in the HBX-1 **** and put the Innovate sensor in the normal factory 02 sensor location...but I tried that idea several months ago with no difference. Maybe the sensor is fragged from either the heat or too rich conditions. Looks like I'll try another $79.00 Bosch WB sensor...

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you ever solved the error problem as I am having the exact same thing. Worked fine for a year and now it keeps going to error 8.
Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21