Power Steering Cap Fix

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This solution might be a bit overkill, but here's how I addressed the infamous power steering cap issue.

I routed a 3/8" hose from my cap breather to an oil catch can.

1) It prevents fluid from spraying up and onto the exhaust manifold

2) In the event of the cap coming loose, the hose will prevent the cap from coming off.

I bought this very basic 300ml catch can:
The exact same thing is sold under many different brand names....

I welded a simple bracket and used two of the existing heat shield bolts.

There's enough clearance to unscrew the catch can to empty it. There's also a handy dip stick on top that does clear the brake booster.

I think this solution is reasonable. Maybe there's some downside or error that I'm not seeing. If so, feel free to comment below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This solution might be a bit overkill, but here's how I addressed the infamous power steering cap issue.

I routed a 3/8" hose from my cap breather to an oil catch can.

1) It prevents fluid from spraying up and onto the exhaust manifold

2) In the event of the cap coming loose, the hose will prevent the cap from coming off.

I bought this very basic 300ml catch can:
The exact same thing is sold under many different brand names....

I welded a simple bracket and used two of the existing heat shield bolts.

There's enough clearance to unscrew the catch can to empty it. There's also a handy dip stick on top that does clear the brake booster.

I think this solution is reasonable. Maybe there's some downside or error that I'm not seeing. If so, feel free to comment below.

Where does the second hose go from the catch can?

OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just down towards the ground. Only air should come out of it. If I was really negligent, power steering fluid would overflow out the outlet port and spill out the outlet port. Without the second hose, it could overflow onto the heat shield and potentially drip onto the exhaust. The hose just moves it away from the left side exhaust system.

Last edited:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Viper Buyer's Guide (by Maurice Q. Liang)...

"Perhaps the most interesting hard-to-find part is not even an official part. It's the infamous 'Green Doohickey' found under the hood. As the frame was being painted, workers simply installed a small green protective screw cap on the grounding post, used for battery charging and jump starting. This cap stopped the protective electrostatic paint from coating this post. Assembly craftsmen at the Viper plant simply left this piece on the post for 6 years of Viper production. It had no part number, no internal cost factor-but every 1992 to 1996 Viper RT/10 had one! However, many dealers and owners discarded the Doohickey when they discovered it had no function. But with no part number, it's impossible to replace."

Attachments

• Green Doohickey photo.jpg
    Green Doohickey photo.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was at Monster Jam today and one of the truck's headers caught fire. It was safely extinguished and taken to maintenance. They announced the cause was power steering fluid spraying onto the headers..... I would have thought the fluid would smoulder more than completely ignite.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala