Input on new HRE 847R front and rear sizes

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a low mileage (2300) 96 GTS but it needs wheels, the 17's just look old and out dated.I know that the gen 3 cars have 19's in the rear and 18's in the front and if I remember right I think that the Prowler did something like that also.The stance on the cars look great and now that I'm thinking of spending $8000.00 on new wheels (847Rs) I was wondering if anyone else has done the same on a gen 2 car, like 20's in the rear and 19's or 18's in the front. Any ideas and pix would be great.

Thanks, Don

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much every combination through 20" has been done. 20/20, 20/19, 19/19, 19/18. It's just a matter of personal preference. And you may need to lower the car some depending on which combo you use and how much gap you like between the tire and fender lip. Adjustable coilover shocks are a nice investment because you get better shocks and the ability to set your ride height wherever you want it if you change wheel/tire sizes down the road.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen cars with 20's and with 19's. Both look good, but 20's are definitely better. Whatever you do, don't go smaller then 19's. It's not worth the money. keep in mind, when you do this your going to have to lower the car to make it look right.

Bill

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HRE wheels are incredible. I agree don't go smaller than 19". Here are 19" fronts on my Z (sorry it is just a corvette)

You must be registered for see images attach

Good luck

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every combination through 20" has been done. 20/20, 20/19, 19/19, 19/18. It's just a matter of personal preference. And you may need to lower the car some depending on which combo you use and how much gap you like between the tire and fender lip. Adjustable coilover shocks are a nice investment because you get better shocks and the ability to set your ride height wherever you want it if you change wheel/tire sizes down the road.

Is that the only thing you need to do to adjust height ?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that the only thing you need to do to adjust height ?

If you mean if you have adjustable coilovers is that all you need to adjust height, the answer is yes. They have adjustable spring perches so you can go up or down in essentially infinite increments by rotating the perch. You might need an alignment if you go up or down a significant amount, but no other hardware.

The other option is to buy lowering springs, but those only change the ride height a fixed amount (say, 1" lower). That might be fine for one wheel/tire combo, but might not be so good for another. You need to find out exactly what combinations of wheel/tire sizes and springs people have used if you go that route, and look at some pics to see if that's the ride height you want. Of course you're still using your stock shocks in that scenario.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, gotcha.....whats approx costs for these shocks ?

Depends on which ones you get, but there are some much more reasonable ones out there now compared to a few years ago. One option is to use the factory ones that come on the ACR cars, which are adjustable (you might even find a slightly used set somewhere like PartsRack or the classifieds here). I got mine from Snake Oyl through PartsRack for around $2,400 as I recall (don't remember who makes them), but I think there are some new ones out now that are more like $1,500 or $1,600 a set. I'm pretty sure Larry Macedo sells these, and I'd call him first. (407) 246-6511. There was a thread about them (or mentioning them at least) here in the last few months that you might be able to find as well.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8AVETTE, if you are going to spend $8000 on wheels then I would go for the "GUSTO"! 20" Startech wheels(20X11/20X13.5). These are very good wheels that are made by Brabus who makes most of the Mercedes wheels. I would still lower the car. There are many lowering devices that you can use to lower the vehicle...Good Luck!!

vipergts2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is Gary Javos car with the same wheels on it.

You must be registered for see images

This is my car with 20's

This was my car with the 19's up front and 20's in the rear....

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Nice pics.

The GTS looks amazing lowered with bigger wheels. It really compliments the car.

Does Gary's car have 20s on all corners?