Input on Rear View Cameras

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody out there had experiences good or bad with rear view cameras (Viper or not)?

I'm tired of the blind spot (directly behind me caused by the rollcage and wing) and want to add a rear view camera with a screen on the dash. A super cheapie (like are sometimes used on the back of trailers) may not have a screen that's sharp enough with light enough to be seen well in the car when the sun is shining. Maybe not, I don't have any experience with 'em.

Is it possible to go to a salvage yard and rip out the screen and camera from some Lexus or something or are the harnesses so complicated an electrical noob like me couldn't do it?

Any input is welcome.

With the multipanel mirror, I can see left and right.....but with the x-bar and the low wing, there's almost no way to see directly behind the car with any clarity.
Rear_cage_fuel_cell_and_pump.jpg

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The UPS truck I drive for a living has a rear view camera that also has a microphone. It has a black and white screen with a day and night adjustment buttons along with brightness and contrast. At night in the pitch black, looking at it can mess with your night vision. In the rain, the water covers the camera and you are blinded. It is a useful tool when backing under most conditions though. I am almost certain there are aftermarket kits that would hook up almost as simple as a car stereo.

Reaction score
We have used them on several trucks and SUV's. They are very handy when you can't clearly see where the back of your vehicle is located in tighter spots or in relation to other objects such as bushes, poles, etc. It is one of those things where you could easily live without it (like radios and GPS), but you sure learn to appreciate them once you get used them.

On the newer Vipers we have seen them placed inside the rare fascia cavity and directed straight back. The Gen I & II could mount in the license plate area or inside the small cavity on the fascia, depending on the camera size. Probably the easiest are those that are built into a license plate frame with a standalone monitor. While Mopar offers an add-on rear-camera kits there are none that are Viper specific at this time. Most have customized camera mounts for that specific vehicle (Charger, truck, Jeep, etc.). There are also numerous display options such as stand alone screens, built into the inside rearview mirror (many vehicles use this type from the factory), or displaying on the navigation screen for cars equipped with the same. Many adjust for day/night (dimming the screen) and have different camera exposures to adjust for outside ambient light.

Bottom line: They are a wonderful tool to have when precision maneuvers in reverse are a must. Generally inexpensive with numerous options. Very few regret adding them, but most would sure miss them if they are gone. Oh and one final note: Having been in a Viper with just such a system, we were surprised by the angle of the view: With most truck/SUV cameras you are looking down and out, with a birds-eye view of what you are approaching. The Viper is so low to begin with that it is initially disconcerting when that curb comes right up in your face - and then you know you are definitely parked close enough. :D

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put one in the rear keyhole.

I had a picture in my gallery but can't figure out how to attach it.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a motorised screen unit with built in sat nav dvd cd radio I have a very small camera, size about 1 inch x 1 inch mounted just above the rear diffuser which is connected to the built in radio unit. it is held onto the bumper by double sided sticky pads so no drilled holes ;) The picture is great. I have seen licence plate surrounds with built in cameras, that could be another way to go but if you dont have the screen then best go to your local raido shop and Im sure they will talk you through your options.

Here's a sample of one of the options available
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...icense-plate-frame-camera-US-wholesalers.html

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Regarding mounting, I've already used the keyhole for the fuel cell vent tube, but no problem to make another hole in the license plate area. I'm using it less as a back up camera (though there's utility in that when backing out of the pits with an R3 restricting head movement)..... more of a see-what's-coming-up-behind-you at 150mph camera. I can imagine image stabilization is pretty key when you're at speed, and its kind of a hard thing to test without buying it.

FWIW, here's what I've gathered so far in case anyone is also interested in adding this feature.

CCD is better than CMOS technology in the camera.

90 degrees vertical and 120 degrees horizontal field-of-view is about the maximum you can achieve before the fish-eye starts to happen. No need to settle for the more common 90 degree horizontal though, apparently many companies now make the 120 with good resolution.

Built-in voltage regulation can a pricey feature but unless you're using it for just back-up (when engine is close to idle speed continuously) its important as, of course, voltage can change dramatically under idle-WOT conditions (which can mess up the camera and screen over time)

Image stabilization software varies a lot. Compare a GoPro (good stabilization) to a home video recorder and you get an appreciation for the difference. I haven't found anyone yet who can articulate what to look for in "good" software......sort of a word-of-mouth thing.....e.g. "GoPro's are great".

Stay away from stiff with RCA connections because they are prone to strange behavior under moist conditions. Try to hardwire the thing if you can and then protect the wires.

On-screen controls can be either pressure switches or touch-screen-type. Most I've talked to say that the touch screen lasts longer and is easier to adjust when you're "busy". The pressure switches, some say, end up requiring a hammer fist to get to work after a while.

If you go to ali baba or any of those electronics sites, you'll find literally 100's of products....mostly from China and pretty cheap (under $100!!!!). Problem is how to sort through the above considerations on a product described as "very nice camera, easy to use, very pleasing to owner and cheap cheap" :D

F

FrgMstr

I just had a Kenwood system installed on my '08 and it has a great camera with it. The camera allows multiple view angles. It will show you split screen so that you can see basically 90 degrees each way out the side of the car so you can see traffic pulling out of a parking spot. It has several other modes, but the split 90 is most useful, unless maybe you pull a trailer with your Viper.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx Frg...I'll look at the Kenwood. If you have a model number or some other descriptor for the one you have, lemmeno and it'll narrow the search.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nicely done indeed. Thanks for the pic. Do you have the specs on the system you installed and, more importantly, do you like it?

F

FrgMstr

Thx Frg...I'll look at the Kenwood. If you have a model number or some other descriptor for the one you have, lemmeno and it'll narrow the search.

The Kenwood head unit is the KIV-BT901. Scroll way down on that page and you will see the camera listed in the "OTHERS" section. I put the 300 camera in my car.

The KIV-BT901 and KIV-701 feature a rearview camera input compatible with the CMOS-300 or CMOS-200. When either rearview camera is connected a view of what's behind the vehicle is displayed.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Y2K. I'm still trying to figure out this new format.....

If you get one with IR emitters you'll get better night vision. Mine is kinda old so I'm sure the newer ones look much sharper.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a kenwood with 7" flipout, with navi, back up, all that good stuff but if you wanna go cheap and just back up, I would recommend the the screen that's integrated with in the rear view mirror. The mirror still serves is purpose but as soon as you place your car in reverse the lcd hidden with in the mirror turn on. It's nice, I got one for my Durango. just go to ebay and type rear view mirror back up camera, some pretty nice stuff...