Installed Foam tubes on my Viper!

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, I thought I'd get your attention with that title :)

My RT soft top looked like swiss cheese after the previous owner allowed it to bounce around in the trunk so I just bought new material from A.A. Best Co. I am getting it installed as we speak but I needed to devise a way to prevent it from happening again so I came up with this little invention below (if no one else thought of this already as a search here produced no hits). It also is useful for hard top storage so your pins won't get bent.

I cut up a "pool noodle" which is a 3" closed cell foam cylindrical tube about 4 feet long (available at pool stores or just about anywhere where pool accessories are sold. They look like this:
You must be registered for see images

I cut two six inch pieces and made a slit in the middle big enough to house the hard top/soft top clips (mine was solid in the middle). Here's what they look like on my hard top:
9722pincover1-med.jpg

They slip over the longer back pins and can be used for storage of either the hard top or soft top to protect them, like this:
9722pincover2-med.jpg

It makes installing either top much easier as you can place it on the car without worrying about scratching the sport bar. You can put it in place and then remove them one-by-one and install the top with no worries about scratching as shown here:
9722pincover3-med.jpg

Not exactly the best colour choice but I had this one laying around and used it. The inner portion of this one was solid but you may find the newer style have holes. It should still work.

I don't know if this is useful but it makes installation of your RT top worry free and you won't have to worry about folding the soft top carefully to prevent it from moving around because the damaging back pins are protected. I did NOT cover the front pins as they are relatively safe and allows installation to be easier since you can guide the front pins into place and the back covered pins will line up.

Hope someone finds this useful. Patent pending ;-) I think I found the cheapest mod to date as those tubes are only a couple of bucks and you have three feet left over for spares :)

Hence my "foam tubes" ;-)

Santo

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check a contractors supply house for "backer rod" and pay half the price if ya want too. but no funky colors ..:)

but i like the idea.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a riot! You definitely win the ingenious, useful and cheap invention titles. I think I can find a red noodle relatively easy. This invention hereby is awarded the pinch a penny citation for frugality and resourcefulness.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Backer rod is the same material but I don't know if it comes in as large a diameter as those pool noodles. With it's rigidity, those foam tubes do not compress at all, making it very sturdy for installation and storage purposes, even for the hard top. The picture I have shows them angled a little but they are very sturdy and you can move the back half of a hard top while you align the front two pins with no problem.

Glad you found it useful. I won't do without them (till I find yellow tubes :2tu: )
Santo

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a good idea. Now you can also use the top in the pool as a floating lounge. Seriously, idea looks like it works well.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice job Santo, Kudos! Viper owners are always thinking, I like that. one day I'm going to end up with a lazy-boy in the garage so I can just sit there, look at the car and think about what I’m going to do next :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i sell up to 4" backer rod and im pretty sure i can get bigger.

charlie i have grey in stock if ya want it.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing I do when the top is in storage to protect the edge (one accident and it's a repaint) is to run pipe foam around the top edge and down the sides (they're 6' long). The foam is similar to the pool stuff but smaller and way cheaper and already slit. It's used to insulate water pipe up here in the north. ;)