Installed HID 55w Headlight Kit

Speed SG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently testing out a set of HID's from Blown408(provided through Gotham Cycles) and all I can say is they look astonishing. It took me roughly 20 minutes per side to complete this mod and it was very straightforward. I went with 6k's and they are a very nice bright white with a slight tint of blue. The overall light output is increased substantially over the factory setup.

This is how I went about installing the HID's

Step 1: Remove the clips holding the dust guard in place

Step 2: Removed the 4 screws from the back of the headlight housing

Step 3: Turn counter-clockwise to remove the old bulb then remove the clip holding the bulb to the factory wiring

Step 4: Connect the new bulb to the factory wiring(make sure to match the blue wire to the red and black to black) but leave the bulb in the protective case and out of its installed position for the time being

Step 5: I recommend testing the headlight to make sure the wires are connected properly

Step 6: Insert the new bulb and turn clock-wise to lock it into place

Step 7: Mount the HID ballast via zip ties onto the 2 post present in the headlight housing

Step 8: Consolidate your wiring by attaching a zip tie( this will help to insure the wiring stays within the housing when you begin to re-attach the back of the headlight housing

Step 9: Re-install the back of the headlight housing and dust guard

Step 10: Rinse and repeat

You must be registered for see images attach

Stock: Driver HID: Passenger

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice right up with pics. I am hoping to do this to my acr this winter, plus add fog lights.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the standard 35w versions of HID's offer plenty of additional lumins over stock lighting. I am annoyed when people come up behind me on the road with extra bright HID's and i can only assume they are running 55'ers...

Im pretty sure the 55's are technically illegal for road use. Doubt many people are getting ticketed for stuff like that though...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jance,

FYI: the Gen1 facia IS different from the Gen2

OP
OP
Speed SG

Speed SG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe a mis-aimed headlight might be what your seeing as annoyingly bright. 35w vs 55w would deal greatly with the color output, a 55w 6k will have allot less of a blueish tint

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jance,

FYI: the Gen1 facia IS different from the Gen2

Thank you. I know they are different fascias because I have been looking at swapping my gen 2 to a Gen 1 for more ground clearance. This picture just looked different to me. Almost like it was a Venom fascia or something.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They have several to choose from on their site. Without pointing so the **** mod doesn't catch you, what's the part number? S1000RR, 749/999, etc? If you get a chance, please PM me what and who to get these from.

Also, I didn't see it in your steps, but wanted to make sure, was there any splicing or cutting needed?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Speed SG

Speed SG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont believe its either of those kits, and you would have to talk to Blown408 on viper alley if you wanted specifics on the exact kit that works in a viper.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe a mis-aimed headlight might be what your seeing as annoyingly bright. 35w vs 55w would deal greatly with the color output, a 55w 6k will have allot less of a blueish tint

Right, the brighter an HID gets the more the color washes out to a lower temp, So a 55w 6K might look similar in color to a 35w 5K.
Differs from manufacture-to-manufacture though.

Thank you. I know they are different fascias because I have been looking at swapping my gen 2 to a Gen 1 for more ground clearance. This picture just looked different to me. Almost like it was a Venom fascia or something.

Venom facia? Never heard of that. Have a pic or link?

Your gen2 Facia has a ~1.75" lip(air-dam) protruding down that the Gen1 does not. Just trim it off. I trimmed the lower corners of my facia at a diagonal angle upwards. This allows me to enter drivways/curbs and stuff at an angle without scraping. Eventually when i install a splitter i plan on trimming the entire lower lip(air-damn) to be flush with it.

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice write up man glad it all went easy. For anyone who has pmed me on either forum we just have motorcycle bulbs listed on the site but being a Viper owner I went ahead and ordered 9005 and can get H3 for the fogs for anyone who wants them. This isnt our full time business (HIDs) but we have a sick reputation from Ducati and BMW owners who love the kits. They are high quality and last a long time with a REAL warranty process.

Dom when people come up and it blinds you its mainly because they slapped some HIDs in a car with your basic headlight and no projector. Instead of the beam being properly cutoff likethe Viper its just a huge burst of unaimed light that is pretty annoying. 35w HIDs are just as illegal as 55w its all the same, technically your not allowed to replace any lights with HIDs but everyone does it.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, the brighter an HID gets the more the color washes out to a lower temp, So a 55w 6K might look similar in color to a 35w 5K.
Differs from manufacture-to-manufacture though.

Venom facia? Never heard of that. Have a pic or link?

Your gen2 Facia has a ~1.75" lip(air-dam) protruding down that the Gen1 does not. Just trim it off. I trimmed the lower corners of my facia at a diagonal angle upwards. This allows me to enter drivways/curbs and stuff at an angle without scraping. Eventually when i install a splitter i plan on trimming the entire lower lip(air-damn) to be flush with it.

I think it's from Hennessey that's why I called it a Venom fascia.

You must be registered for see images