Installing a Quaife?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy was draining my rear end, just putting some fresh fluid in. He noticed some good sized metal chunks coming out. I havent noticed anything weird about how it drives, but now I fear the rear end could bust at any time.

So Im thinking about doing a Quaife rear end exchange. Since Ill have the Paxton, maybe even go with 3:33 gears for a little more fun. Any thoughts, recomendations.

Also, who has installed their own. Is there any special tricks, tools etc or is it a pretty straight forward install.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Get ahold of Ted May at Valaya Racing, as he has the most experience of anyone in your area. They do work on alot of Viper Race teams, and have been working on Snakes for a long time.

Tell them Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse sent you over --- good guys and they will take care of you.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Almost certianly the inferior Hydra-Lok ( OE in 03-06) disintegrating. Side gear and Pinion gear failures plague SRT10 owners who drive aggressively...

PartsRack keeps a Parts Rack of new and used rear diffs and ring-pinion and halfshaft components at Unitrax, arguably the BEST VIPER REAR DIFF facility in this solar system. {Some great vendors here even BORROW and TRADE our units from time to time.}

PartsRack will be happy to partner w/ UNITRAX to get you what you need, and NO TAX, Competitive prices, and the tech support to back it up. We can slap a 3:33 in an 06 SRT Diff, under 500 miles on it, and trade you IN CA, NO TAX !!! Very straight-forward install, your own shop will have NO problem.... If you have X miles on your diff, we try to trade you X-minus miles used diff. {The entire intrenals must be re-machined for a Quaife anyway!)

Thanks Mike !

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

Get ahold of Ted May at Valaya Racing, as he has the most experience of anyone in your area. They do work on alot of Viper Race teams, and have been working on Snakes for a long time.

Tell them Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse sent you over --- good guys and they will take care of you.

Here is their link:
Valaya Racing - Contact Us

Even easier.:)

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys and gals.
Im familar with Valaya , as I see them at the monthly dinner meetings.

Anyways, I just got a Monday call back from Jon B.:omg:
His price is hard to beat. So I will be ordering one from him and 3:33 gears.

V

Venomiss

Thanks guys and gals.
Im familar with Valaya , as I see them at the monthly dinner meetings.

Anyways, I just got a Monday call back from Jon B.:omg:
His price is hard to beat. So I will be ordering one from him and 3:33 gears.

Very good! Hopefully you got a VCA discount with that.:)

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Venom membership just paid for itself as the saying goes.... 10 fold, or in this case if I really did the math , like 50 fold. lol
Thanks again Parts Rack.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike I got prices from Taylor Racing for a Quaife complete it was around 3500.00. Currently putting in unitrax 3:55 I have 3 housings 3:73 ....3:55.... and the stock 3:07 I would like to do the Quaife one of these days. Nothing has broke yet but, no telling..... who has the best prices installed in the housing?

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike I got prices from Taylor Racing for a Quaife complete it was around 3500.00. Currently putting in unitrax 3:55 I have 3 housings 3:73 ....3:55.... and the stock 3:07 I would like to do the Quaife one of these days. Nothing has broke yet but, no telling..... who has the best prices installed in the housing?
Check w/JonB....He should be able to help you out....

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Call Jon B, his price will be much better. ;)

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Brother!!! This is the first time I think I will have the slowest viper of the group!!! hahaha
with the gears... looks like you might take take the current title from Smoke!!! hahaha

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn Brother!!! This is the first time I think I will have the slowest viper of the group!!! hahaha
with the gears... looks like you might take take the current title from Smoke!!! hahaha

Maybe for a few days, Ill be the King, but Kurtis wont have that. He is already toying the idea of messing with his Split Second. It could end up like his Jeep when he added Nitrous. BOOM!!!!! :lmao:

Actually I dont care who's faster, even when you finally get your Paxton. I just know we wont have to worry much about any of the other cars in our area.:drive:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so much worried about the gears, I'm more worried about his talk of bumping up the rev limiter. With the gears on our freeway runs, he will be shifting to the next gear before me...so when he shifts I'll catch back up...but with his limiter moved up he can stay in the lower gears a little longer....don't blow it up MikeR:quack:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not so much worried about the gears, I'm more worried about his talk of bumping up the rev limiter. With the gears on our freeway runs, he will be shifting to the next gear before me...so when he shifts I'll catch back up...but with his limiter moved up he can stay in the lower gears a little longer....don't blow it up MikeR:quack:

What are you doing on the computer, I thought you had no acess at work. Anyways, I dont even think we should race eachother, one of us will blow up trying to hard.lol
But you whats gonna happen the first time we roll out.

P.S :*****::hitfan:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You'll like the Quaife but I'd stick with 3.07's in a Paxton car.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll like the Quaife but I'd stick with 3.07's in a Paxton car.

I thought about it, but I have the 335/30/20 PS2 out back and it is a 28" tall tire. So its a hair over a inch bigger circumference then stock rear sizing. So my gearing is even worse off. I didnt want to go all the way to a 3:55, so I think a 3:33 is a perfect choice for my tire size. All ready in just a hour of driving my car with paxton, it hooks up in 2nd gear with these tires. They stick. So I guess we'll see. I'll give my feedback when installed.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock Pilots in 19" rear are 27.4 inches in diameter, so not sure on the "hair over an inch" bigger.

345/30ZR19
Load Index 105 = 2039lbs (925kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph) 105Y
SL Treadwear: 220
Traction: AA
Temperature: A220 AA A

2039 lbs.
51 psi
10/32"
36 lbs. 12-13.5"
12"
13.6"
NA
27.4"

3.33 will be much better than 3.55.

Good luck,

Dan

I was going off memory, guess it didnt serve me well. Plus the last tires I had were PS2's and I assumed they were same as stock Pilots. But the PS2's come in at 27.2" , so there is still a big difference in the rear tire I have now. I had to raise it back up a 1/2" in rear to keep from rubbing on dips. And after driving today, the car hooks good,so i think the 3:33's will be fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC