Installing a Quaife

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ is installing my new rear end on Monday. I ordered a exchange housing with Quaife and 3:33 gears. Anyone have any tips or tricks for removing rear end. I heard its pretty straightforward and only takes a couple hours. No special tools needed.

If anyone has any info, instructions or tips, please post up.
Thanks

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the quaiffe! You'll love it. I know I do mine! Wish mine had the 3.33's though. I'll probably make that switch at one point this year from the 3.55's...especially once the paxton goes on!

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed a diff swap on my car. Took me more than a couple hours, but I did it on my back in a small single-car garage. I also don't have the tools to properly undo the ball joints (you should use a correctly sized puller, not a pickle fork), so I had to unbolt the control arms, which makes the job tougher.

The manual recommends getting new driveshaft "straps" - a pair of small metal brackets that hold the rear u-joint together - any time it is disconnected, which it will be in this case.

Have fun!

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles on your car when you did the job, do you track your car and was it dirty. What fluid did you put back. Thanks

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ is installing my new rear end on Monday. I ordered a exchange housing with Quaife and 3:33 gears. Anyone have any tips or tricks for removing rear end. I heard its pretty straightforward and only takes a couple hours. No special tools needed.

If anyone has any info, instructions or tips, please post up.
Thanks

Mike,

PM sent.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much was the quaife with the excange, and without?

Im doing a exchange. Its the easiest way in my opinon. It will be all set up with Quaife and unitrax 3:33 gears. I got it from Parts Rack around $2900 shipped. It arrived at my work about 1 week after ordering.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many miles on your car when you did the job, do you track your car and was it dirty. What fluid did you put back. Thanks

Around 13k miles, I didnt see the fluid color, my buddy ILLSMOQ changed it. But lots of metal came out, so thats why Im going with a new rearend. Ive had it on track a few times, autoX, Drag strip, freeway romps and canyon carving. Plus a few donuts here and there.

When we changed my fluid we went with stock fluid to refill, but the new exchange rear end comes with a fluid they recomend, havent opened box yet to see what it is.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price on the quaife unit will be ~1620 and with full exchange ~2400 (that means installed in the unit). details to come tomorrow or Tues at the latest!

JD

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that include the ratio change or just the posi unit? Either way I'm interested. I can get the gears for around $200. Thanks

Price on the quaife unit will be ~1620 and with full exchange ~2400 (that means installed in the unit). details to come tomorrow or Tues at the latest!

JD

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been told there are only a couple of shops qualified to install a quaife. Who is going to do the set up and what type of warranty comes with it. Also, is this the same price for a gen 3?
Thanks alot. I look forward to more details.

That involves installing whatever gears you want in it. If you want to change, you'll just provide the new gears.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been told there are only a couple of shops qualified to install a quaife. Who is going to do the set up and what type of warranty comes with it. Also, is this the same price for a gen 3?
Thanks alot. I look forward to more details.

qualified? The only thing that makes installing a quaife carrier special is you need to clearance(grind) the differential housing to make it fit. Setting up the gears (especially a ratio under 3.73) is easy for any competent gear shop to handle.

$2400.00 for an exchange unit is better than anything else I've heard of by quite a lot.

Joseph what gears and what bearings will you be using for the exchange units?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed a diff swap on my car. Took me more than a couple hours, but I did it on my back in a small single-car garage. I also don't have the tools to properly undo the ball joints (you should use a correctly sized puller, not a pickle fork), so I had to unbolt the control arms, which makes the job tougher.

The manual recommends getting new driveshaft "straps" - a pair of small metal brackets that hold the rear u-joint together - any time it is disconnected, which it will be in this case.

Have fun!

unbolting the control arms(uppers) and unbolting the brake calipers, is a fine way to get the half shafts off the axle stubs....you don't need to remove the balls joints.

The unit MikeR:quack: bought came with the recomended oil and the u-joint straps and bolts.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Joe,
This pricing is very attractive. My cost is considerably higher than this. Do these units come with new gears, bearings, seals, fluid and driveshaft straps? Does the Quaife unit include a lifetime warranty?
If so, please call me I am interested.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as the VCA gets the check, the deal will go down. the set-up will be the same as the world-challenge set-ups... so that you'll have new bearings, seals, etc. Quaife unit has a lifetime warranty. as for gears, old gears are re-used unless you want to purchase or provide a new set. that is your call.

once the deal is officially a GO i will post it here and it'll get moved to the group-buy section.

easy stuff.

options will be the quaife only (if you want someone else to install it for you) or you send in your housing and it will be installed for you in the pumpkin.

more to come...

JD

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So $2400.00 does not include new gears then and these are not going to be exchange units.

Kurtis, Id just go with the exchange unit from Parts Rack. Its was $2900 shipped. New gears(your choice), bearings ,seals , oil etc and Quaife with lifetime warranty. You wont have to wait weeks while you send out your rear end. You can drive car until the exchange unit shows up and swap out same day.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As soon as the VCA gets the check, the deal will go down. the set-up will be the same as the world-challenge set-ups... so that you'll have new bearings, seals, etc. Quaife unit has a lifetime warranty. as for gears, old gears are re-used unless you want to purchase or provide a new set. that is your call.

once the deal is officially a GO i will post it here and it'll get moved to the group-buy section.

easy stuff.

options will be the quaife only (if you want someone else to install it for you) or you send in your housing and it will be installed for you in the pumpkin.

more to come...

JD

Dell, can you see if when they do the swap these guys will also drill and tap the housing for a diff cooler and what they charge additional for that, if any? I can do it myself pretty easily, but these guys are probably familiar with the process if they do WC cars and it's always better to do it on an empty housing.

Thanks.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurtis, Id just go with the exchange unit from Parts Rack. Its was $2900 shipped. New gears(your choice), bearings ,seals , oil etc and Quaife with lifetime warranty. You wont have to wait weeks while you send out your rear end. You can drive car until the exchange unit shows up and swap out same day.

hey MikeR:quack:...you DID just go with the exchange unit from parts rack. :clap2::hitfan:

For some reason I was expecting Josephs $2400.00 deal to include new gears.

Unless there is something wrong with your original gears, you won't really need to replace the gears....but that would be my preference.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These units will have modifications and machining to the stub axles.This has to be done with the Quaife .the only way to retain the stubb into the diff is with AN hardware.

The stub axle bores are machined for circlips.
The circlips will retain the stub axle bearings into the housing so they will not float when the the diff gets to temp.

This is the same set-up the world challenge cars have.

Once the check to the VCA clears for the sponsor, this will be a go. And if we get 20 people, the price drops another $200. AND, if you'd rather have someone else do the labor, you can do that too.

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC