Installing a short shifter

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a short shifter in my 97 Viper and I swapped it to my 99 Viper, not I was able to swap everything but the lower stud that loooks like its screwed into the transmission linkage (cast steel piece) I tried getting that stud out but I was afraid to pull too hard as I didn't want to screw up the tranny, do I have to get this stud out from underneath the car? Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Adam

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybodt ever pull that stud frm the tranny shifter arm that extends over from the shifter linkage? I was going to pull the entire shifter from the tranny but the bolts are not directly unter the tunnel hole, do you have to drop the tranny down to unbolt the shifter? Or so I have to drill a new hole in the tunnel? What a *****.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Not exactly sure of your dilemma...but I think you are referring to the single shifter flange bolt that is "hidden" under the console. Indeed, you will have to drill a hole in the console directly above the bolt-cap. Of course the hole has to be large enough to fit the socket! Measure your socket and give yourself a little extra. Shifter kits come with a plug but you can always use tape.

Good luck!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Definitely more info / better description needed for better help. There are 4 bolts that mount the shifter to the transmission. When I installed my B&M I did drill the access hole in the trans tunnel to get at the bolt. I do feel that you could get at this bolt with the right combination of 1/4" socket, universal joints / extensions without drilling the hole. Good luck.

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses, there was a short stud that screws into that metal arm that the shifter screws into, I was afraid to pull too ******* the stud fearing I could damage the linkage however I put my air ratchet on it and the stud came right out, everything is installed so I'm all set, thanks very much for the replies, I'm trying to learn this car as good as I knew my Supra.

Adam

V

vegasviper

So this can be done from inside the car and the Trans. does not have to come out?

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes inside the car, there is a tech article under the how to section that shows you how to do it.

Adam

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to use new rivets since the provided self-tapping bolts will cause the center console and bezel to sit too high and won't fit properly.

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got some plastic plugs that worked pretty well, it all went together nicely.. I'll have to swing by your shop soon Larry when I get some free time.

Adam